Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Michigan and Detroit have spent too long burning time

Two articles in the News today, one about reinventing Michigan, and one about reinventing Detroit.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...ose-of-reality

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...make-his-moves

Both articles have a similar tone, and both hit home. The basic message: Restructure, reform, and reinvent- Now! Michigan and Detroit have spent too long fooling around.

Agreed. Why in the hell is it taking Bing 18 months to do these town-hall meetings to downsize Detroit? The changing needed has to be done now. We need to stop the sloth that is our govt's and tell them to get their asses to work. Considering how much most make while working for the gov't, these people should be running not crawling.

13,000 city employees?

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Agreed. Why in the hell is it taking Bing 18 months to do these town-hall meetings to downsize Detroit? The changing needed has to be done now. We need to stop the sloth that is our govt's and tell them to get their asses to work. Considering how much most make while working for the gov't, these people should be running not crawling.
    Uh, I believe it's a little thing called democracy. Perhaps you'd prefer Josef Stalin?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Better get busy with Windsor City government then. Maybe even Ottawa?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Uh, I believe it's a little thing called democracy. Perhaps you'd prefer Josef Stalin?
    No, in a democracy it's called emergency financial manager and receivership.

They must be using the Lions timeline for rebuilding the city. Over 50 years is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    No, in a democracy it's called emergency financial manager and receivership.
    Why isn't Detroit in receivership? I guess that's due to the McNamara machine, which is also the antithesis of democracy. By law Detroit should have been under an emergency financial manager a long time ago, yes?

Keep on championing the opposite of democracy though. It offers a clear picture of your antidemocratic leanings.

What should be done for Detroit:

1. Structured bankruptcy, managed by a third party [[independent board, company, whatever) and overseen by a state judge not involved with the Detroit area in any way. The judge will be there only to make sure the management team does their job, and to start throwing out contempt of court citations if they aren't.

2. Everyone that was elected into office gets to keep their job. For everyone else, unless they can prove they are running an effective department, they are out. While we're at it, get rid of the city council's staff entirely - they get a few people to handle their paperwork communally.

3. Cancel all city union contracts. Start a bidding process for replacement labor pools. If the union can out-bid anyone else, they get the new contract. New contracts are on a yearly basis and are reviewed constantly for performance.

4. Privatize all non-core city services. This means water, lighting, the incinerator, etc... Either sell them off to private companies for pocket money, or make the citizens of Detroit shareholders of the new company.

5. Focus on streamlining regulatory bodies and make them more transparent. If someone wants to open a restaurant in an empty Greektown storefront, they shouldn't have to know somebody on the city council to get a permit. It should take a week, tops, and cost relatively little [[covering the costs of inspections, not much more)

What the fuck does democracy have to do with anything? Do you really think the city is going to listen to a little old lady who doesn't want to move and then continue to service her area just for her? This is just vetting the process but I am sure the city is already close to a plan as to what they are going to do. But why wait so long?

Stosh I don't disagree but what does that have to do with anything here on this thread? FWIW, I am quite involved in my city politics and trying to do just that.

Sadly Detroit also reflects on Windsor.

You wouldn't believe how many times I hear, "Oh Windsor, they are rigth next door to Detroit." [[in a very condescending way). As if the issues of another country, city and state has anything to do with another. But it is what it is. I like telling peole I have all the amenities of a large city without the hassle of the drive, crime and anythign else with large cities.
    Last edited by GOAT; September-23-10 at 06:26 PM.