Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Miscellaneous Kudos file

There is so much bitching, I thought a thread to say "good job" when things are done right.

I'd like to start with the road crews. So many projects - I-75 @ 9 mile, the new interchange at the bridge for examples - have been coming in ahead of time and under budget. Anyone who spent any time watching those crews at work knows how hard - and efficiently - they did their jobs.

I had to rub my eyes when I saw this thread Thanks.

I'll go next. I called the Detroit Dept. of Buildings & Safety when I saw a city-owned, historic building that was broken into. They acted swiftly, and I got 2 proactive follow-up calls, one from a manager. The police even showed up to investigate when it actually happened, with great response time, and treated it like an important matter.

Detroit Police, I had a break in at my home last month. They took my computer and my dvd/vhs player. They came out right away once I found out, the detectives came later and lifted prints, and it was relatively easy to get my report.

The big goose-egg however goes to Guardian Alarm who had no idea my alarm went off [[it did). The company has also been fighting me on getting some sort of retribuion, even though my contract says I should get at least six months of service free of charge.

My kudos go out to the people on this forum who are so willing to help others find information. It is really nice to watch someone ask a question and get informational responses in a very short period of time.

And I agree about the road crews...considering how much work is getting accomplished, I think they are doing great job!

And thanks to the perfect stranger who stopped on I-94 to assist me in picking up stuff that had dropped off my boss's truck.

hopefully this falls under the "good job" category [[maybe more like "good person")
    but here's to the detroit policewoman who had to remove an indigent man from the lobby of a downtown bank for loitering - she followed him outside and as he hobbled away on crutches [[has only one leg), she slipped a few dollars in his pocket and told him to take care of himself.......

For the companies that did this, they should be rewarded with other jobs. Rewerd the savers and pisson the those who can't come under or on budget. The same should go for the various city dept's as well.

Goat coming in under budget is more along the lines of a lack of work in the private sector. Many road crews also work for companies that own shopping centers or other places that need similar infrastructure. They know they must sharpen thier pencils to compete because if they blow a bid, they may have to layoff workers or not make payments on thier equipment. Material costs are also down from a couple of years back when oil and steel were sky-high.

"My kudos go out to the people on this forum who are so willing to help others find information. It is really nice to watch someone ask a question and get informational responses in a very short period of time"

I'll second that! That's why I came here.

"hopefully this falls under the "good job" category [[maybe more like "good person")
    but here's to the detroit policewoman who had to remove an indigent man from the lobby of a downtown bank for loitering - she followed him outside and as he hobbled away on crutches [[has only one leg), she slipped a few dollars in his pocket and told him to take care of himself....... "

I have to say, that's is just about the coolest thing I've heard an officer doing. What an incredible person she must be, huge heart. Bravo!

Kudos to the Detroit Lions for playing hard to the end of each game.

Kudos to DDOT, for there are many newly paved roads and streets all over the city of Detroit! Thank GOD because in some areas it can feel like you are driving on the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Kudos to DDOT, for there are many newly paved roads and streets all over the city of Detroit! Thank GOD because in some areas it can feel like you are driving on the moon!
    Ahh that would be DPW. And you can thank the stimulus program for these too.

Props to the Detroit Firefighters. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I'll second that one!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Ahh that would be DPW. And you can thank the stimulus program for these too.
    Ahhh yes then....kudos to the DPW and the stimulus program...thanks DetroitPlanner!

DetroitDad Guest

Kudos to all those who are out and about more in The D.

Kudos to those who continue to fight, and those who resist the temptation to be absorbed in the madness of the city and region.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    My kudos go out to the people on this forum who are so willing to help others find information. It is really nice to watch someone ask a question and get informational responses in a very short period of time.
    Right back atcha for that grass-roots [[nyuck nyuck) community improvement project.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Kudos to those who continue to fight, and those who resist the temptation to be absorbed in the madness of the city and region.
    Right back atcha for your willingness to get up early and clean some vandalism from storefronts in downtown.

Kudos to Jon Koller and the Friends of Spaulding Court, whatever Grand Gumba of Social Capital dreamed up those SOUP events, Lisa Johanon of DetCDC and her Peaches and Greens trucks [[which I have read inspired a whole program?), and to everyone else working in their community to improve things, and demonstrate civic engagement in the face of strategic mortgage defaults by your elected officials. My guess is there's a number of you on here.

Thanks to the Tour DeTroit people. I know they were thanked on their own thread, but it's worth thanking them again. What a beautiful day in Detroit.

Thanks to Cub and everyone helping him with the Georgia Street Community Collective. They have brought back hope, energy, and life to an area some would have long written off.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post

And I agree about the road crews...considering how much work is getting accomplished, I think they are doing great job!

And thanks to the perfect stranger who stopped on I-94 to assist me in picking up stuff that had dropped off my boss's truck.

Would be nice to surprise someone with cake when thing go great.

Let's not forget Penski's crews that keep the downtown area so
    clean and nice. The medians on Gratiot and Washington Blvd
    look great. Campus Martias and all the beautiful flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    There weren't enough people to go around during the "natural disaster" that Bing claims happened. 14 off duty firemen responsed to the calls and they were not mandated to come in at all.
    Wow. Kudos to the off-duty firefighters who came in to help out with that rash of fires back in September that practically engulfed the city. If they're off-duty, are they even covered by FD insurance? I mean, wow, hot-damn, somebody buy those guys a beer.

My respect goes out to those in our area that are suffering from the poor economy and/or lack of work and still striving to live their lives in an honest, moral, and courageous fashion.....May your troubles be short lived and may you be an example to those who have chosen the easy path during their hard times.....

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    My respect goes out to those in our area that are suffering from the poor economy and/or lack of work and still striving to live their lives in an honest, moral, and courageous fashion.....May your troubles be short lived and may you be an example to those who have chosen the easy path during their hard times.....
    This really says something about the human spirit and condition. I, too take my hats off to the people who despite being down, refuse to cave into immoral acts and crime to get by. Stand by your moral convictions and be the beacon to the young people in the community.

And massive kudos to the people willing to take the time to work with children. They deserve all the credit in this world for trying to instill in them a work ethic, a sense of right & wrong and giving them the wisdom that they've gained over the years.

Of the big monied people... my hat goes off to the late Walter and Josephine Ford... and all that they have done to help the Center for Creative Studies expand into a college and also expand into the massive Argonaut Building.

Other monied folks are the Kresge and Skillman Foundations... for the many millions that they have done to help Detroit, especially in these bad economic times.

Of course my kudos go out to our DFD. I'd also like to throw some kudos to the teachers who are out here busting their butts with little to no help from DPS [[I'm not talking about every teacher, mind you...just the folks who are really vested in the kids' education). A special kudos to Officer Hardy, at Cody, for working so fast on my police report [[and investigation) about my stolen laptop. Laptop still not recovered but she kicked butt trying to figure it out!
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; October-08-10 at 05:27 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast