Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Chrysler Auto Workers Busted

myFOXDetroit.com Staff - We're all rooting for the auto industry to come back stronger than ever. It affects every one of us here in metro Detroit and across the country because it's so important to our economy.

Fox 2's Rob Wolchek got a tip about what some guys are doing at Chrysler's Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit. This is the same plant that President Barack Obama visited back in July and talked about the significance of manufacturing in America.

The same place where the President remarked on the tax-payer generated government loan saying "I believed that if each of us were willing to work and sacrifice in the short term -- workers, management, creditors, shareholders, retirees, communities -- it could mark a new beginning for a great American industry. And if we could summon that sense of teamwork and common purpose, we could once again see the best cars in the world designed, engineered, forged, and built right here in Detroit, right here in the Midwest, right here in the United States of America. " http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/chrysler-auto-workers-busted_20100923_dk
    This ought to play well with the teabag nation. Sad. Apparently not much has changed in the mindset of the jobbie. Who could really blame them? Not like any one of them will get fired. Well, maybe the one guy who is apparently driving a Mustang to his job at Chrysler....THAT is unforgivable. Getting high and bombed at lunch....not so much.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    This ought to play well with the teabag nation. Sad. Apparently not much has changed in the mindset of the jobbie. Who could really blame them? Not like any one of them will get fired. Well, maybe the one guy who is apparently driving a Mustang to his job at Chrysler....THAT is unforgivable. Getting high and bombed at lunch....not so much.
    Someone should follow around Rob for a while, just for fun. I bet that would be a hoot, with him calling the police for stalking or some inanity.

Really? It's not so much about the substance abuse on the job [[THAT'S bad), but the fact that they purposefully went out of the way to target union auto workers no less when the problem is hardly unqiue to them.

I'm wondering was this one of those marching order from headquarters in NYC [[which is partially why I avoid watching WJBK anyway)?

BTW, I noticed the silly grin on the woman's face at the beginning when she said everyone's talking about it. It's the first time I've seen this reported by any media outlet.

And Bailey, who cares what these people want to drive. Besdes the fact that purchasing a Mustang still helps the american auto industry, our country and our city just as much [[if not more), they should be able to spend their hard earned money on whatever they please.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    And Bailey, who cares what these people want to drive. Besdes the fact that purchasing a Mustang still helps the american auto industry, our country and our city just as much [[if not more), they should be able to spend their hard earned money on whatever they please.
    Preach on. Tell it to the UAW. Tell it to the guys that have to park at the back of the lot and across the street if they don't buy the appropriate car.

Really? It's not so much about the substance abuse on the job [[THAT'S bad), but the fact that they purposefully went out of the way to target union auto workers no less when the problem is hardly unqiue to them.
    Yes, it's all about the reporting and not the behavior. Fox 2 should know better.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I think claiming 'not much has changed in the mindset of the jobbie' is a pretty broad generalization based upon the actions of a few idiots.

I think this can be a good test for the UAW. Will they protect these idiots at the expense of all the employees that follow the rules? This can be a great way for the new UAW leadership to set an example that they are there to protect the good workers not the idiots that want to get drunk/high and return to the job.

My guess is that the UAW will go to bat for them and they'll be back on the job within 30 days.

Not much different from the ole executives three martini lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeauty View Post
    While that rarely happens [[if at all anymore) there is a difference. The UAW memebers at an assembly plant have a direct impact on safety of their product and peers.

I think whether it be executives or line workers, people caught drinking should lose their jobs. That said I think that the three martini lunch is only used in politics. At least the executives I know and work with certainly do not go for the three martini lunch.

Alcoholism is a disease. We should feel sorry for these guys, they need treatment. I hope Chrysler and their benefits package will provide the necessary treatment, perhaps at an in house substance abuse clinic in maybe Florida or California for a few months so these guys can overcome their addictions and return to their jobs clean and sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Alcoholism is a disease. We should feel sorry for these guys, they need treatment. I hope Chrysler and their benefits package will provide the necessary treatment, perhaps at an in house substance abuse clinic in maybe Florida or California for a few months so these guys can overcome their addictions and return to their jobs clean and sober.
    Making that assumption is a bit of a stretch. It could just be a group of people that don't care. Irresponsible drinking does not automatically equate to alcoholism.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Making that assumption is a bit of a stretch. It could just be a group of people that don't care. Irresponsible drinking does not automatically equate to alcoholism.

One of the symptoms or questions asked to determine alchoholism is "does drinking affect your work"?

Getting suspended for drinking would qualify.

Regardless..... this is the excuse many of these guys will likely use to try and explain their behavior. They are victims of this disease.

One of the symptoms or questions asked to determine alchoholism is "does drinking affect your work"?

Getting suspended for drinking would qualify.

Regardless..... this is the excuse many of these guys will likely use to try and explain their behavior. They are victims of this disease.
    Good point. I never thought of them using that angle to retain their jobs.

Alcoholism is a disease.
    Maybe they're just drunks.

There's a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Maybe they're just drunks.

There's a difference.
    Not to HR.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbeauty View Post
    What a wonderful example of the moral relativism that pervades the culture in these here parts. You deserve an award for bringing up a completely ancient trope, and extending it to justify the actions of a few.

No consideration for the car buyers, none at all for other workers who are put in jeopardy, just a little wink to help the brethren get their drink on.

never considered that other plant workers were so concerned they called a tv station to sound the alarm. Never considered the impact that every bad product has on our collective "Detroit" groove. That every knob that falls off in a customer's hand translates into "I'm never going to buy another Detroit product.

Just a little moral relativism that assuages the soul by pretending one person doesn't make a difference. For good or ill.

good thinking.

I posted this link on a different thread, but I think it's relevant here as well:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...sode/403/nummi

Listen to the first fifteen minutes. Not quite a typical scenario for an American auto plant, I'm sure, but I know enough plant workers to know it's far from rare.

One of my co-worker's father was a shift manager for a plant downriver. After repeated warnings, he turned in a bunch of employees to the police for smoking pot while on the job. The union quickly buried him in grievances to the point the company had to relocate him to another plant. The UAW doesn't condone employees using controlled substances, if they are caught doing it on TV, apparently.

I had a tie rod that fell off my Grand Cherokee. It was good to see who assembled it to the car.

You guys who are crying about Rob's job are not getting the point. Yes non-union people do much of the same [[but nearly as much because they don't have a union protecting them), but the fact is these guys got the bail-out money...ie OUR money and yet they are still fucking around.

Thisis theproblem with unions. They protect the lowest common denominator instead of listening to reason and smart business practices.

I should know I work with both union and non-union people and the cost of doing business with union is much higher for so many of the inane "job protection" clauses they put into their contracts.

These fuckers should all be fired period. So stop shooting the messenger ie Rob, and go after the guys who are doing this crap.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    You guys who are crying about Rob's job are not getting the point. Yes non-union people do much of the same [[but nearly as much because they don't have a union protecting them), but the fact is these guys got the bail-out money...ie OUR money and yet they are still fucking around.

Thisis theproblem with unions. They protect the lowest common denominator instead of listening to reason and smart business practices.

I should know I work with both union and non-union people and the cost of doing business with union is much higher for so many of the inane "job protection" clauses they put into their contracts.

These fuckers should all be fired period. So stop shooting the messenger ie Rob, and go after the guys who are doing this crap.
    Fuck Rob. It's all political anyway, and he should be fucking ashamed of himself.

It's gone national. Surprised? I'm not. Anything to discredit the bailout. FUCK YOU ROB!

FOX News is dead.to.me.

And GOAT, the union will make them get drug and alchohol counseling, and will mandate random drug and alcohol testing for these guys, as a condition of retaining their job so it's not gonna be a cakewalk for them by any means.
    Last edited by Stosh; September-23-10 at 11:53 AM.

Who's Rob?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Fuck Rob. It's all political anyway, and he should be fucking ashamed of himself.
    WHy should he be ashamed of himself? I would think the blame should fall on those that decide to drink/smoke at a public park during lunch. They idiots aren't victims of anyone except thier own stupidity. I would say it should be fuck these idiots.

It's gone national. Surprised? I'm not. Anything to discredit the bailout. FUCK YOU ROB!
    Holy strecth batman.

And GOAT, the union will make them get drug and alcholol counseling, and will mandate random drug and alcohol testing for these guys, as a condition of retaining their job so it's not gonna be a cakewalk for them by any means.
    Has the union already made that statment? I think it's sad that in an economy with thousands of people that would love those jobs to have these idiots get a pass. So counseling and peeing in a cup is not a cakewalk? It sure is a hell of a lot easier than living on unemployment.

Cry all you want for these 'victims' but I think most of us [[and most of the country) agree they are idiots that need to be fired. It's not fuck Rob, it's fuck these idiots.

If they keep their jobs I certainly hope they are issued tickets for everything possible [[open intox, drinking under the influence [[although that would likely not be provable in court), littering for throwing their bottles on the ground, etc. If the union is going to be a punch of pussies about it I would hope DPD would ticket the shit out of these idiots [[And yes, I realize the city has much larger concerns).

Ravine Guest

I'm not condoning anything, here.

The point I want to make is that there is nothing new about any of this story. This shit has been going on, at the plants, since they were opened. Who the hell doesn't know that?
    So, the totally aghast "Oh my God!! Well, I never!! My word!!" gasping reaction, which I am hearing from some of the local populace & media, is ridiculously theatrical.

And, without passing judgment on the reporter's decision to pursue this matter, the one thing I can say is that I wouldn't have done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Who's Rob?
    The reporter that did nothing but film these idiots and call them out for it. Somehow it's his fault that they are morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I'm not condoning anything, here.

The point I want to make is that there is nothing new about any of this story. This shit has been going on, at the plants, since they were opened. Who the hell doesn't know that?
    So, the totally aghast "Oh my God!! Well, I never!! My word!!" gasping reaction, which I am hearing from some of the local populace & media, is ridiculously theatrical.

And, without passing judgment on the reporter's decision to pursue this matter, the one thing I can say is that I wouldn't have done it.
    I would agree that it has been happening for a long time and it is pretty well known. I think there are two important things to conssider: [[1) It was their peers that contacted the news about this [[2) just because it has been going on forever doesn't make it right so it never hurts to shine a light on it.

I also think that given the our current economy it makes it that much more appalling. I have friends that have been looking for jobs for over a year but can't get a call back. The fact that there would be hundreds, if not thousands, of people that would take these jobs makes it that much harder to justify. Let's see how long these guys enjoy looking for a job in this economy.

"we are nothing only Sneetches, thinking that our stars are brighter than on thars" -Ben Cooper lyrics 'The Sneetches'

It's hard to sympathize with the men involved. In such an economy tens of thousands of locals alone would take those jobs in a minute if the guys are fired.

Of course alcohol and drugs are nothing new to the workplace, particularly industrial facilities. But nowadays workers are held to a different standard. White collar employees are disallowed or discouraged from drinking at lunch. Many employees [[myself included) are drug screened at some point. Hourly workers are also expected to be alcohol and drug-free at work in most factories.

what these men do on their own time in my opinion is their business. I do not support random drug tests. But nowadays to engage in such behavior is insane.
    Last edited by kryptonite; September-23-10 at 12:05 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast