Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default windsor map 1930 - 2010

i noticed a detroit map posted by another member... i guess this map is from around 1930

what got me interested is the corner of the map that catches windsor

sure looks like they planned the city to expand in the traditional matter, instead what you see today are a few suburban style streets or just no development at all..

anyone know anything about this? what happened?

http://picasaweb.google.com/williams...62608706070978

First of all - what an amazing map that is! I have never seen one like that before, really awesome stuff

Second of all, what happened was the depression and the Second World War. Windsor was supposed to get a very large steel mill in the Brighton Beach area. They even went as far as to lay out streets for all the theoretical steel workers. The streets are still there in the Brighton Beach/Ojibway park area on the west end. Windsor was going to be "the Gary Indiana of Canada!" Steel production, especially back in those days took a lot of manpower, so these planners who drew up this map must have figured that the growth that both Windsor and Detroit were seeing at the time would last forever...

Here's more about it - http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/?p=293

http://www.ojibway.ca/history.htm

More on it here, just scroll down to 1913.

Beat me too it blackmath!

I can't view the map cause of my stupid work

I love maps....how awesome is it?

"Yes now we are following in the footsteps of Detroit with a large city surrounded by suburbs...the donut hole effect is in full force. Just look at our crumbling downtown neighbourhoods and loo at all of the new ones going up near the borders of the suburbs.

What does our stupid council and the dumb-ass Planning Advisory Committee [[aka PAC) do? NOTHING! Business as usual for the developers making quick bucks out of dumb leadership in Windsor.

GOAT I agree its quite frustrating. Windsor's population as a whole is getting older. Young people, such as myself are moving away, have moved or are planning on moving after they are finished college/university because there simply isn't a lot of options and opportunities here.

The inherent single minded mentality of this city is also incredibly frustrating to me, but what do you expect from a city that was dominated by one industry for a century?

This brain drain is the single most dangerous thing thats happening to this city, and our best minds [[and in my case I use that term loosely are leaving. Hopefully some can stay and start businesses and create jobs and wealth for the community, but honestly I don't see that happening unless some drastic changes occur instead of being bogged down in old line politics and the closed mindedness of our City Councillors.

Oh, and Magnatomicflux, the map was really fascinating. It showed a massive development on the west side of the city with a street grid extending as far south as River Canard/Ojibway area. Judging from that map, I'd say that they projected the population to be approximately 350-450,000...

I agree. They had better start to make incubators for small business inthis city or we will continue to have our young people leave.
    Thepolitics we are seeing today for the next election is horrendous. The damn labour movement here is still stuck in 1945! Just look at their tactics now. Not endorsing anyone publicly but doing it secretly so that they can stack the council to get what they want. Backing that two-faced rat Limoges makes me sick. He would sell his own Mother to get into office just as he had in the past.

I am no fan of Francis but he understands that the mindset must change, the perception of the city must change and the way of doing business must change. But the labour guys and their low educations [[but with big money pay) still want to do it the old way and expect different results. The pisser is that many don't even live in the damn city! Yet they want to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    The pisser is that many don't even live in the damn city! Yet they want to control it.
    Nothing makes me more angry than residents of Tecumseh, Belle River and Lasalle trying to control this city. They need to back off.

I'm no starry eyed supporter of Francis either, but yes, he definitely understands that this area needs to move into other industries to survive. I really wish he would push for more high tech industry and specialty tool making for the high tech and aerospace industry. We certainly have the expertise.

I'm with you 100 percent on this, Goat.

The pisser is that many don't even live in the damn city! Yet they want to control it.
    They probably want to steal your precious jewels!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    They probably want to steal your precious jewels!
    Nah we gave those away to Toronto years ago. All we got in return was a crappy t shirt.

wikimapia link indicating that U.S. Steel did end up building a few small structures in Brighton Beach circa 1917... go figure.

http://wikimapia.org/11532749/Steel-Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    Nothing makes me more angry than residents of Tecumseh, Belle River and Lasalle trying to control this city. They need to back off..

Don't worry, soon enough we'll absorb them. All they're bases shall belong to us!

That t-shirt had ring around the collar to boot.