Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Animal Life Sightings

The sound of a bird was reportedly coming from the basement. I didn't believe that was possible since we're always careful to close the doors to keep mice out. I thought it might be the freezer door which squeaks or one of the spare smoke detectors in the basement which had made a similar "low-battery" chirp before. I heard a few loud chirps and was able to narrow it down to somewhere near the furnace. Then I heard a scratching sound in the furnace flue that goes to the chimney! It must be a bird after all!

I quickly turned off the furnace and began disassembling the flue. I shined a flashlight into the part that goes toward the chimney. Nothing. I turned it around to peek into the furnace side and saw ... a sock?! How on earth did that get there?! [[I had expected feathers.) Wait. That's no sock. That's fur! A bat?! Who cares. It has to go.

I wrapped the flue with a big garbage bag to contain the problem and continued removing it from the furnace. I took the whole package to the back yard and opened it up to find a baby squirrel! It was about 6 inches from head to tailbase. It looked okay but it wasn't moving. Being careful not to get my scent on it, I tucked it under a bush to hide it from predators. It was looking at me but not moving. I thought I can't just leave it there to die from dehydration! I found a sponge and soaked it and put it under his nose. He ignored it. He started moving, then crawling on wobbly legs. Then he started following me around!

It dawned on me that I had just witnessed a baby squirrel taking its very first steps! As he climbed on top of my shoes I noticed a similarly-colored adult squirrel watching from a distance. A parent? I backed away and sure enough the big squirrel went to the baby and gently prodded and cuddled it. Then it gently bit the baby's stomach and the baby curled around the parent's face. [[I didn't know squirrels carried their young like that.) The big squirrel then carried it to the big maple and climbed away. I watched for a while to make sure it didn't go back to the chimney. It didn't. We'll be listening to the furnace to make sure they don't return.

Soon after this happened, I saw a baby rabbit about the same size in the hedge.

What animals have you spotted?
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-03-09 at 12:25 AM.

Wow. That is an amazing story.

What a great story. It's so good to know Mama Squirrel came to the rescue. I've read of other people trying to raise baby squirrels. It can be done but it isn't easy. It's also neat to find out how they carry babies. We have tons of squirrels around here but we never see the kids til they are big enough to chase each other around.

Ravine Guest

Ooh! Ooh! It's kind of late, now, but I'll be back, to regale you all with my possum story.

Please do.

Pleasant read Jimaz. Thanks.

Now I'm fearing the poor thing had inhaled carbon monoxide fumes since its birth. I took an action to call the HVAC guy to screen off the chimney.

I have too many critter stories to tell. Too many deal with snakes. I hate snakes!!! So instead I will tell a bittersweet tale. My sister was visiting and my son than six years old came tearing into the house. He had witnessed a stray cat get run over. He was very upset. My sister went down the street and picked up the poor dieing cat and brought him home. She held him until he died. My son was reassured about the poor cats death because my sister told him the cat died happy in her arms. It is an odd story, but my sister really was a big help in negating a small but important trauma to a very young child.

ccbatson Guest

Over the years there have been noticeable changes in observable suburban wildlife with apparent increases of groundhogs, black squirrels, foxes, and even wild Turkeys.

They'll be back! If not the squirrels, then maybe the raccoons or possums, maybe next year if not this year. Why make your chimney the most inviting one on the block? Install a chimney cap now while it is empty and when they are ready, the critters will have no choice but to move into one of your neighbor's un-capped chimnies!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    They'll be back! If not the squirrels, then maybe the raccoons or possums, maybe next year if not this year. Why make your chimney the most inviting one on the block? Install a chimney cap now while it is empty and when they are ready, the critters will have no choice but to move into one of your neighbor's un-capped chimnies!
    I sure learned my lesson on that one !

Thanks, Mikeg.

I think a simple screen will work in this case. It's a simple terra cotta rectangle chimney pipe open to rainfall ... which raises the question of how does rain accumulating in the chimney ever drain away? [[I'm new at this.) I'm guessing there's a drain at the bottom that ultimately leads to the sump pump.

On second thought, regarding the carbon monoxide concern, I doubt the little squirrel could have been in the flue since birth. He seemed healthy. We hadn't heard any noises from him until this recent incident.

I hope he comes back. I'd like to have a squirrel who likes me.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-03-09 at 10:17 PM.

My neighbor used to feed his squirrels corn kernels and nuts. They would go inside his home to get their treat! It was sure something to see.

I think a simple screen will work in this case.
    A simple screen might keep the squirrels out, but if you have any raccoons in your area, they can easily rip it out and make themselves right at home.

I have wrestled with a raccoon in hand-to-hand combat. I understand what it takes. True, they're no slouches.
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-03-09 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I have wrestled with a raccoon in hand-to-hand combat. I understand what it takes. True, they're no slouches.
    i have witnessed raccoons unscrewing soffit vents

A rat under the back porch [[yes the little fucker is about to get killed), squirrels trying to get into the attic. Robins and Cardinals. A family of fixes with their kits.

About 6 years ago or so I saw my first and only giant moth. It looked exactly like this:

It had a wingspan of about 5". It sat on the windowsill for two days and then flew off. I'm amazed such a thing exists around here, and that I had never seen one before considering it is pretty hard to miss. I can only assume that when it left it was off to do battle with Godzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    About 6 years ago or so I saw my first and only giant moth. It looked exactly like this:

It had a wingspan of about 5". It sat on the windowsill for two days and then flew off. I'm amazed such a thing exists around here, and that I had never seen one before considering it is pretty hard to miss. I can only assume that when it left it was off to do battle with Godzilla.
    From what I found on the web, that's a Cecrophia Moth. All I know is I hope to never meet one.
    Crosspost to 'Things that make you go Ewwww'

Saw a half dozen deer out searching for snacks while I was enjoying my Sunday morning coffee yesterday. Went inside to get some apples to toss out to them, but the ever barking dog a couple doors down scared em off by the time I returned.

From what I found on the web, that's a Cecrophia Moth. All I know is I hope to never meet one.
    Crosspost to 'Things that make you go Ewwww'
    I thought it was very pretty, myself.

The wings are pretty, but the body, as well as the bodies on butterflies, creep me out.

ccbatson Guest

A wild goat? That is something I would never have thought of.

I have a squirrel that chewed a hole behind my gutter and crawls inside the house. I live on the 2nd floor, and hear him running around in my ceiling. The woman who lives above me hears him in her floor. We've both been telling our landlord about the problem, but he's been slow to do something about it. I fear on day I may come home and find that the little rascal has chewed a hole in my ceiling and is running around my flat. I may have to overcome my hatred of heights to take care of the problem myself.

So I looked up cecrophilia moth out of curiosity, and I really think that was the giant flying thing I saw near a stand at TasteFest last summer. It was hovering near me and sounded like one of those remote-controlled model airplanes. I don't think I've even seen a flying bug that big in the Upper Peninsula.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast