Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Chicago equivalent to Detroit Yes?

I spent a few years living in Chicago and am curious if there is an equivalent message board that discusses neighborhood development and relevant issues. It would be nice to find out what is happening in my old neighborhood since I rarely make it back there.

No, people actually like the Chicago area.

Zing!

yeah i guess this is a support group for some of us.

tkelly1986, City Data - Chicago has a messageboard with a lot of good information about Chicago. However, like I said, people actually like the Chicago area so no, you won't see a lot of Chicago bashing at the site I linked.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; September-22-10 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    No, people actually like the Chicago area.
    I live in Chicago and I wish there was something like DY for Chicago. I would not call this a Detroit-bashing site. I can read all the bashing I want on Freep.com. This site has answers without too much politics. Chicago issues and opinions are available on the web, but I have to visit 5-10 different sites to find them. I am sure this DY has a similar ratio of city/suburban posters and trolls as Freep.com, but somehow people know to play nice on DetroitYes. I'd put DY in my top five things that are better about Detroit than Chicago.

There are several threads on skyscraperpage that focus strictly on development which include

Highrise construction, everything over 12 floors
    Post recession boom compilation, everything over 12 floors
    General Development, everything under 12 floors.
    Transportation developments
    Chicago business and Finance

The general development thread is the most interesting IMO since it sometimes details business openings.

Large post-recession business openings are usually found in the Chicago business and finance threads

Chicago pain is nothing compared to Detroit pain. Also, this site is a direct reflection of that typical Detroit sardonic sense of humor we all share here. To live in Chicago you have to be successful, to live here you have to be a maniac

This site is also some guy's attempt to drive a conversation about Detroit's decline and the evolution of that attempt as it has echoed through hundreds or thousands of users over 12+ years. Just that, some guy. Lowell, take a bow. Internet, take a bow as well.

Somebody mentioned a comparable board for St Louis a while back, and I'm not surprised that they have one, since they're sometimes mentioned as the next-best [[?) thing after Detroit. But for most cities, I think you'll have to look to something like city-data for threads on neighborhoods, parks, schools, and such.

I could see where Pittsburgh might have had one, but apparently they're now bustling with medical activity? Or Buffalo. But I don't see the netizens of Chicago being this devoted to their humble burg, as it's faring relatively well.

Detroitnerd, by PC must not be working right. I'm not able to bring up the link refered to in your post. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    Detroitnerd, by PC must not be working right. I'm not able to bring up the link refered to in your post. Any suggestions?
    1) Realize I was just kidding
    2) Blink in astonishment
    3) Laugh heartily

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    St Louis...sometimes mentioned as the next-best [[?) thing after Detroit.
    I present my case for Cleveland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
    Last edited by blackmath; September-22-10 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    I spent a few years living in Chicago and am curious if there is an equivalent message board that discusses neighborhood development and relevant issues. It would be nice to find out what is happening in my old neighborhood since I rarely make it back there.
    What hood did you live in btw?

I recently move to Madison County Illinois which is 20 minutes East of St. Louis. The locales have told me on numerous occasions that there is Chicago and the rest of Illinois. They lament that Chicago takes all the money it can get and them some while considering the rest of Illinois podunk. They also tell me that the attorney general for the state of IL is toothless. I'll have to form my own opinions over time.

The attorney general is Lisa Madigan and she comes fromm a long line of Chicago politicians anyway while she could use some hairwork she could be kind of hot and has ALL her teef.
    Chicago, IL and their people are nice too bad all its pols are as dirty as the day is long.

The locales have told me on numerous occasions that there is Chicago and the rest of Illinois. They lament that Chicago takes all the money it can get and them some while considering the rest of Illinois podunk.

Very true.

But that goes for Detroit too. There's the Detroit Metro area and then there's Michigan.

At least the city vs suburbs arguments wouldn't be that bad. People here tend to say nice things about their neighbor. The only thing I hear suburban folks gripe about Chicago is the traffic and parking rates downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    What hood did you live in btw?
    Lincoln Park

Detroit has Greektown.

Chicago has Greektown [[ 10x bigger).

Detroit has a large black community.

Chicago has 2 large separate black communties [[ but with more black people and lower in population percentage).

Detroit has 3 separate Arab Muslim communities.

Chicago has 3 separate Muslim communties.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Lincoln Park
    Well it's certainly boomed with new development in the past 20 years. The SW fringe along North Ave used to be all industrial buildings and warehouses. Since 2000, the city decided to create another secondary commercial hub outside of downtown along North Ave. A huge success, but unfortunately they never considered the traffic congestion it would cause.

It's even hard to believe how much growth Near North saw in the past 20 years. Most of these towers were constructed in the past 5 years, with almost all the other buildings being constructed during the 90's

The majority of both states pop. live along 94 from Detroit to Grand Rapids From Gary to Waukegan.

|There are more cities who have Detroityes equivalents. I know New York is pretty well documented. And Boston I think also has some sites like this running.

Forgotten New York.
    Latest news is a victim of the recent storm.

Forgotten Boston.
    Amost the same lay-out. Are they connected?

Forgotten Chicago.

Ruins of Philadelphia.

The same problems here, you've got over there. Every city has it's own ugly side. But reading about it is pretty fascinating stuff!!
    You could almost build a franchise!

The last discussion I saw where Chicago folks got in an angry debate was over the Michael Reese hospital......even included a "tear that schidt down!" comment. It was a collection of modernist architecture that had Walter Gropius' indirect involvement. When Chicago failed to get the Olympics, the abandoned campus was torn down except for the original late 1800's structures which are to be renovated into something

http://forgottenchicago.com/features...eese-hospital/