Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What was your childhood Detroit dreamcar?

As I live on the other side of the Atlantic I did not see too many American cars on the roads over here. Seeing that the market for big guzzling cars caved in after the 1973 oil crisis, almost everyone over here drives cars that consume a liter every 100 kms. [[Figure that our in miles per gallon yourself.)

I'm from 1969. All American cars I saw were in books and magazines. One car really stood out in my mind and that was the Cord 812 Supercharged. Distinguished from regular Cords 812 by the chrome pipes coming out of the engine bay. I really wanted a car like that until common sence took over and reality set in. I haven't got the budget to own one of those design masterpieces.

But I still love it...

So my question to you, what was your dream car? And did you realize your dream of owning one?

I liked Chrysler products as a kid. I liked everything from the tiny Plymouth Arrow to the huge New Yorker. I once had a massive 1979 New Yorker. I miss it.

I saw a new 1967 Oldsmobile 442 once at a stop light.It was the baddest thing a 9 year old who was into cars,had ever seen.I've owned four of them since I was 18.I'll own another or three before I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    As I live on the other side of the Atlantic I did not see too many American cars on the roads over here. Seeing that the market for big guzzling cars caved in after the 1973 oil crisis, almost everyone over here drives cars that consume a liter every 100 kms. [[Figure that our in miles per gallon yourself.)

I'm from 1969. All American cars I saw were in books and magazines. One car really stood out in my mind and that was the Cord 812 Supercharged. Distinguished from regular Cords 812 by the chrome pipes coming out of the engine bay. I really wanted a car like that until common sence took over and reality set in. I haven't got the budget to own one of those design masterpieces.

But I still love it...

So my question to you, what was your dream car? And did you realize your dream of owning one?
    What kind of car makes 100k on a liter of fuel? I want one. I drive a Mazda 3 sport model and it consumes about 10 liters per hundred clicks. If I had a few bucks to spare I probably would look at a sweet design like the Volvo 1800 of the early sixties; Simon Templar's car from "The Saint" TV show.

Major oops!! Sorry, got my calculations wrong! That's a zero too much. Should have been 10kms.

Apologies.

[[Damn, I feel stupid...)

I can't think about any special one, I loved most of them from the sixties. But I just finished reading "Cobra in the barn" - great stories of automotive archeology. Everybody dreams of finding a lightly rusted classic, and an owner willing to sell. All the classic restoration work I've done in the past were for the "checkbook owners" who would show up once a month at the shop and check the progress.

I think the 1949 Ford was just amazing. It was the first really 'streamlined' Ford, and was just a great hit. I was 13 at that time, and somehow the beauty of that year turned me into a Ford person for the rest of my life. Well, except for one '56 Plymouth hooptie I picked up as a 'to and from work' car.

I always wanted a 1965 Plymouth Fury III white exterior, red interior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I can't think about any special one, I loved most of them from the sixties. But I just finished reading "Cobra in the barn" - great stories of automotive archeology. Everybody dreams of finding a lightly rusted classic, and an owner willing to sell. All the classic restoration work I've done in the past were for the "checkbook owners" who would show up once a month at the shop and check the progress.
    Then I think this link will keep you busy for a looong time!! \

Nice group: Cars in barns.\

Cars don't get any grumpier than this one....

And this car is a barn!
    Last edited by Whitehouse; September-22-10 at 11:02 AM.

1966 Ford Thunderbird [[Convertible or Landau). Such "cutting edge" features: the sequential tail light turn signals, the "cockpit" dashboard controls.

It wasn't just my "childhood dream car". It still is!

My fave was the 1959 Impala.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    My fave was the 1959 Impala.

Great choice! And this might work for you. These cars were build in large numbers so maybe there's one around with you name on it.

Whitehouse - thanks you made my day!!

I have 3, although 1 is an import, so I'll start with that. A bigh Healey, in British Racing Green of course. I used to drool at the ones in Falvey Motors showroom in Ferndale. Alas, I was 14, and couldn't drive, much less pay for my dream car.

2) A 1963 Plymouth Sport Fury. Two door, copper colour. Black buckets with copper accents, Torqueflight transmission, 318 V-8. Dad had one, and I thought it was the coolest car in the world.

3) The 1963 [[?) Chrysler Turbine. Dad brought home mules a couple of times, but one evening he pulled into the drive with one of the Ghias and let me drive it around the block. Cooler [[though not by much and not as practical) as the Plymouth. Sure would have been a hit if I'd been able to pull into the Ferndale High School lot in this baby......

Quote Originally Posted by luckycar View Post
    I saw a new 1967 Oldsmobile 442 once at a stop light.It was the baddest thing a 9 year old who was into cars,had ever seen.I've owned four of them since I was 18.I'll own another or three before I grow up.
    Same thing happened to me. I ended up with a 69 442 with a 455 and a 71 W-30. Wish I still had them.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Whitehouse - thanks you made my day!!
    Take your pick.

Ther must be a princess among the rust buckets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSW0WkhiPbE

I found this car to be the most versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post

3) The 1963 [[?) Chrysler Turbine. Dad brought home mules a couple of times, but one evening he pulled into the drive with one of the Ghias and let me drive it around the block. Cooler [[though not by much and not as practical) as the Plymouth. Sure would have been a hit if I'd been able to pull into the Ferndale High School lot in this baby......
    Wowowow!! Stop the presses! You actually had a ride in these things?? Now THAT's an interesting story. If you want to brag about your big block rpm statistics, these ones took the cake. These babies ran at a mindboggling 44.000 [[!!!) rpm!!

The unique cars were strangely enough killed of by Chrysler, and I really mean KILLED off. Warning in advance. This will break your heart.

Only 50 production cars were made, plus an additional five prototypes. 46 of them were destroyed.

Of the remaining nine cars, six had the engines de-activated and then they were donated to museums around the country. Chrysler retained three operational turbine cars for historical reasons; two of the three are now owned by the "WPC Museum". All of the turbine cars owned by the "WPC Museum" are in running condition at the archives of the museum. The last turbine car that is functional, owned by the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis, was photographed for Mopar Action magazine, and appears at car shows around the United States from time to time. As of May 2010, one of the Turbine cars was on display at the The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan as part of the Showroom of Automotive History display.

Two cars are in private hands, one of them is in the hands of.... you guessed it, Jay Leno.

So you rode in one of the rarest cars on the planet. Count your lucky stars!!

Wikipedia.

Here's Jay Leno's car.

For your pleasure, here's a trip for you down memory lane. A running Chrysler Turbine.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; September-22-10 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSW0WkhiPbE

I found this car to be the most versatile.

I think we've gone full circle to the cool bus of yesteryear thread now. Cause I saw a picture with a Futurliner in the background of this car!

I wanted an '85 Maserati Bi-Turbo

1969 Pontiac Firebird. Heavy sigh!!

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I wanted an '85 Maserati Bi-Turbo
    Enticing, but they were notorious rust buckets. Maserati cleaned up their act pretty well and the new cars are really stunners. I see them around once in a while.

I wanted '68 Dodge Charger R/T.
    Probably the handsomest car Detroit, or anyone, ever built.

[img]http://www.theultimate-carcollection...ges/1_1574.jpg[/img]
    Last edited by Rochelle St.; September-22-10 at 05:39 PM.

Easy: 1970 Buick GS 455 Stage One. The fear I could strike in that beast...

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    1966 Ford Thunderbird [[Convertible or Landau). Such "cutting edge" features: the sequential tail light turn signals, the "cockpit" dashboard controls.

It wasn't just my "childhood dream car". It still is!
    I'm going with this one too! those tail lights were the coolest!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast