Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Scott Lewis's Car Broken into in front of Court

Saw this on channel 7 last night.. Scott Lewis from channel 7 new had his car broken into and lost a laptop and some other items in broad daylight at the Wayne County Juvenile Court building. Then proceeded to tape the thieves doing it again to another car. I guess this happens daily. WTF....where are the cops? Better yet where are those "Open Carry Dudes"? Oh sure you can carry in a festival where its nice and safe.....What do you think?

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_n...-spree-exposed

The cherry on top would be to see Scott Lewis film a parking cop giving the victim a ticket for an expired meter since their keys got stolen.

Those girls that had their persons stolen must have been pissed when they realized Channel 7 saw it all and did nothing but tape it. At least they got pics of these creeps. All these cars broken in to and home invasions, unfortunately becoming common place. Someone got in my car behind my house a few weeks ago. I swear I locked it. When I took my car into service, service manager told me thieves have dozens of remotes from previous thefts. They will drive up and down a street, see where the remotes work, make a hit. If I didn't have my car locked that night, I sure do now. At night , the thieves don't want to make noise. During the day, broad day light. Those kind of thugs are desperate, will stop at nothing.

Good picture of those guys. I hope somebody turns them in.

Your councillors decided that their office budget needed expanding at the expense of police and fire...all ina city with drastically climbing crime.

Why doesn't Detroit have volunteer auxiliary police force like Canton does? If all it takes is a uniform to stroll up and down the street all day, I'd do it.

EastSider Guest

This story is yesterday's news. I don't want to go too far down the "blame the victim" road, but Scott Lewis should know better than to leave his shit in plain view on that street. He's been a reporter how long around here and just now found out that cars get broken into there?

Is it sweeps month yet?
    Where is robo cop?
    Man, I hate to even think about coming down for jury duty next week.
    How is it around Frank Murphy Hall of Justice?

....where are the cops? Better yet where are those "Open Carry Dudes"? Oh sure you can carry in a festival where its nice and safe.....What do you think?
    I think that unlike you, citizens and sworn officers carrying a licensed firearm [[open or concealed) have a better understanding of the law and know that deadly force cannot be legally used just to protect property.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    This story is yesterday's news. I don't want to go too far down the "blame the victim" road, but Scott Lewis should know better than to leave his shit in plain view on that street. He's been a reporter how long around here and just now found out that cars get broken into there?
    A laptop and a briefcase no doubt.

I wouldn't leave that sort of stuff out ANYwhere; that's the sort of I stuff I tote around with me and not leave in an unattended car at anytime. As far as the ladies whose car was filmed being broken into, it seems as though their stuff was in the trunk and the thieves broke in from inside. I'll at least cut those ladies some street sense in at least hiding it from plain view.

Yes the thieves need to be locked up. I hope that the footage that they shot will get them tossed but good. It's pretty apparent what they did and it's a pretty much done deal for the judge to toss the book at them. Those two punks need to go to jail.

That's a given but I'm in agreement here that we should all know better than to leave valuables out in the open- Scott Lewis included.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    Those girls that had their persons stolen must have been pissed when they realized Channel 7 saw it all and did nothing but tape it.
    That had to suck knowing that there were eyewitnesses to the act [[namely S. Lewis) and there was no mention of a call to 911 to report a robbery in progress. The police may not had gotten there in time but at least Mr. Lewis could have made an effort to stop these punks cold by getting the cops there but he was most concerned with getting his news story completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I think that unlike you, citizens and sworn officers carrying a licensed firearm [[open or concealed) have a better understanding of the law and know that deadly force cannot be legally used just to protect property.
    I think you missed my point....that if they were walking around there....this may not have happened. It was more tongue in cheek, than serious....... Not that they should use deadly force!!! Perhaps I should put a smily face at the end of my posts so People like You understand the meaning.......... Deadly force is a last resort use not a first.
    I do understand the law and I am a concealed carrier.....you miss understood.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    That had to suck knowing that there were eyewitnesses to the act [[namely S. Lewis) and there was no mention of a call to 911 to report a robbery in progress. The police may not had gotten there in time but at least Mr. Lewis could have made an effort to stop these punks cold by getting the cops there but he was most concerned with getting his news story completed.
    I totally agree...what was wrong with making the 911 call? Yes I know they may not have shown up for hours if at all, but at least make the call.

Here's how this will play out:

Someone will call in within the next week to ten days i.d.'ing these punks.

They will get arrested.

In court, it will be learned that they have a rap sheep longer than my arm, yet due to budgetary cutbacks [[see Goat's post above) and lack of jail space, they will be placed on probation with a stern warning from the magistrate not to be bad in the future, or else they'll get more probation.

In the end, they will continue to steal in front of the court building like they have for the past three
    decades.

And yes, Scott Lewis is an idiot for leaving a briefcase & laptop out in the open in that area of town.

For someone to be an ex-Problem Solver, turned Investigator to claim otherwise strains credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post

They will get arrested.

In court, it will be learned that they have a rap sheep longer than my arm, yet due to budgetary cutbacks [[see Goat's post above) and lack of jail space, they will be placed on probation with a stern warning from the magistrate not to be bad in the future, or else they'll get more probation.

In the end, they will continue to steal in front of the court building like they have for the past three
    decades.

And yes, Scott Lewis is an idiot for leaving a briefcase & laptop out in the open in that area of town.

For someone to be an ex-Problem Solver, turned Investigator to claim otherwise strains credibility.
    I 'd say your crystal ball is functioning well. More effective policing/punishing/prisoning would have had these thieves off the street already.

The two females on the other hand did what they're supposed to do, lock their purses in the trunk. They still got victimized. Stuff like that just convinces people to stay the hell away from the city. Who needs the aggravation?

"somebody" knows who those guys are??? i'd bet anyone living in the housing project knows who they are.... a cop probably could have come a few hours later and seen these guys walking around the project wearing the same clothes...

but do you think anyone from the project is gonna turn these guys in...

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    "somebody" knows who those guys are??? i'd bet anyone living in the housing project knows who they are.... a cop probably could have come a few hours later and seen these guys walking around the project wearing the same clothes...

but do you think anyone from the project is gonna turn these guys in...
    If one of their "neighbors" is p.o.'d with them, or if they're busted on something else and figure that cutting a deal with get them a break, I'd say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Saw this on channel 7 last night.. Scott Lewis from channel 7 new had his car broken into and lost a laptop and some other items in broad daylight at the Wayne County Juvenile Court building. Then proceeded to tape the thieves doing it again to another car. I guess this happens daily. WTF....where are the cops? Better yet where are those "Open Carry Dudes"? Oh sure you can carry in a festival where its nice and safe.....What do you think?

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_n...-spree-exposed
    My thoughts:

1. It is appalling that this continues and the police have not dealt with it.
    2. Scott Lewis left his stuff on the front seat as a prompt that he wanted stolen. His 'It happened to me' story is garbage. He set this up on a platter for the story.
    3. If these little shitbags get arrested the court will be too lenient on them and they will be back out way too soon.
    4. Not calling the cops because he was told they wouldn't show up is sensationalistic crap. He had more than ample time to call the cops and haev the guys picked up but it is not as good of TV.

And of course the city council is considering whether it is fair to ask if an individual is a convicted fellon on a job application....

Just another swipe at the adage crime doesn't pay.

maybe the only way someone will turn them in is if a reward if offered....an elderly family friend had a cabbie drop him off at the end of his block - unfortunately he never made it home as someone robbed and murdered him as he walked back to his house in broad daylight. None of the neighbors saw a thing - until a reward was offered and then everyone knew who did it. Money talks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    My thoughts:

1. It is appalling that this continues and the police have not dealt with it.
    2. Scott Lewis left his stuff on the front seat as a prompt that he wanted stolen. His 'It happened to me' story is garbage. He set this up on a platter for the story.
    3. If these little shitbags get arrested the court will be too lenient on them and they will be back out way too soon.
    4. Not calling the cops because he was told they wouldn't show up is sensationalistic crap. He had more than ample time to call the cops and haev the guys picked up but it is not as good of TV.
    Something to think about: when Lewis was showing his car and the window in particular it looked as if it was smashed with an object like a stick where is the other had their windows broken by simply inserting the screwdriver underneath the window seal which causes the shattered glass effect.

If Lewis had his briefcase and laptop stolen then he wanted them stolen. No one leaves a laptop in plain view. If his car was out at Great Lakes Crossing with a laptop in plain view it would be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    The two females on the other hand did what they're supposed to do, lock their purses in the trunk. They still got victimized. Stuff like that just convinces people to stay the hell away from the city. Who needs the aggravation?
    I believe the women stated that they were not allowed to bring the purses in with them. Probably a number of people don't realize what they can bring in and what they can't, necessitating a return trip to the car and giving observant thieves and opportunity to see what they are leaving in the car and where.

Unlike many areas, as pointed out in the news cast, the thieves have this area under surveillance.

Court needs to establish a parking lot or outdoor security.

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    Court needs to establish a parking lot or outdoor security.

but where would you possibly find the vacant land/property to make a secure parking lot?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Why doesn't Detroit have volunteer auxiliary police force like Canton does? If all it takes is a uniform to stroll up and down the street all day, I'd do it.
    At the risk of repeating myself, +1

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post

They will get arrested.

decades.

Lack of jail space? why don't they take all those abandoned factories and turn them into jail space? doesn't seem to far fetched.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast