Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Welland Ave

Default Welland Ave

Hi there, I have a question for the map and Street name gurus....Where the heck is/was Welland Ave? It exists in the 1930 directory, and it runs North and south per the intersections listed [[Lyndon, Ellsworth, Fenkell, Midland all the way to Chippewa) and I think Ellsworth is my biggest clue since its such a short street, yet there is no Welland intersection... any help would be appreciated

This is my first post... I am longtime lazy lurker, an expat to AZ but I am moving back to Metro Detroit next year. There are a great deal of subjects I want to comment on, now that I am registered I hope you dont get sick of me....

Welcome to the Forum! I am sure you will get an answer soon.

Welland Ave is now San Juan Dr. I dont know when or why the name was changed though.

Here's a 1930ish map I scanned. Have fun.

1930s Detroit Map

Found an entry for a relative in the 1930 Census but could not locate the residence on Welland. Thanks to the DY brain trust, I have now found the residence on San Juan.

Weirdly enough, it was San Juan north of McNichols
    Name:  welland.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  104.1 KB

I could not locate 14824 Welland from the 1930 census. Today there is a 14824 San Juan [[south of Fenkell) but the structure appears to be much more recent than the 1930s. When doing genealogy research, sometimes we learn that an ancestor's home or business is still standing. It adds a dimension to the family member's life to be able to view a location first hand.

Just went through the 1940 Census for Welland Ave and still no 14824; there is a 14825 with a boarder, though. On Welland near Eaton.
    Name:  welland ave.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  48.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I could not locate 14824 Welland from the 1930 census. Today there is a 14824 San Juan [[south of Fenkell) but the structure appears to be much more recent than the 1930s. When doing genealogy research, sometimes we learn that an ancestor's home or business is still standing. It adds a dimension to the family member's life to be able to view a location first hand.
    Last edited by jcole; July-14-19 at 10:37 AM.