Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Cheap Art Lofts in Detroit

My friend who is a recent U of M Art graduate is looking for some really cheap space to rent in the city where she could possibly set up an art studio. Does anyone on here have any phone numbers or websites I could visit?

There are plenty of places in old factories or warehouses for this. I am having a hard time understanding why she can't find anyplace.

Does she want space where she can live/work?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There are plenty of places in old factories or warehouses for this. I am having a hard time understanding why she can't find anyplace.

Does she want space where she can live/work?
    They probably don't meet her definition of "cheap" = "virtually free".

There is very little in the way of cheap artists lofts left in Detroit. You'd be hard pressed to find anything under $750 a month for about 800-1000sqft. Expect to pay $1000-$1250 for a decent-sized place. Raw lofts are hard to find and usually taken. Try Eastern Market. Good luck.

What about Russell Center? Isn't that mostly artist and such? I have no idea of the prices, though

I may have something available in Hubbard Farms, in southwest Detroit. Lots of artists living around here!

I will send you more detailed information this evening when I have a bit more time.

If she is hot and gets drunk easily I'll let her paint in my basement or unfinished second floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    There is very little in the way of cheap artists lofts left in Detroit. You'd be hard pressed to find anything under $750 a month for about 800-1000sqft. Expect to pay $1000-$1250 for a decent-sized place. Raw lofts are hard to find and usually taken. Try Eastern Market. Good luck.
    Woodbridge, and some apartments in the WSU area are very large.

Anyone have recent developments in the New center area? besides the fake wood frame "condo/lofts" along Woodward.

Is your friend looking for a studio space to just produce work in or a loft to live in?

For just studio spaces there are great spaces at Russell Industrial, 555 Gallery, 4731 Gallery, 4881 Gallery, CAID/Ladybug Gallery.

All are affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    If she is hot and gets drunk easily I'll let her paint in my basement or unfinished second floor.
    I was thinking the same thing... I have some space to rent... cheap... but she'd have to enjoy the nine hour commute [[each way) to Detroit from my place... and put up with a Canadian with two kids and a cat.