Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Detroit CVS Stores Getting "U-Scans"

This had to have been added in the past week or so. The 24 hour CVS on Warren and Brush, in Midtown, now has a bank of U-scan machines. While I'm not happy about losing the face to face customer service, it does seem to have solved the issues with excessively long lines.

I've stepped into what I thought was the end of the line before there only to be told politely that the line continues quite abit down one of the aisles.

See how long that lasts in that store...

Worst idea they ever came up with for retailers.

Not a wise idea for customers at all.

They seem to work well at Meijers, Kroger, Home Depot, Lowes and Costco. What's the big deal?

For one thing, we need more jobs, not less.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I agree, but what they did was improve productivity, and passed that savings on to the customers, possibly with the hope that it will put them at a competitive advantage.

It's everywhere at CVS and Walgreen stores now. I like my job, and I'm sure they want to keep theirs so I try to use the micro-sized counter they have with the cashier. But most of the time now it's no longer staffed because they are assisting impatient customers with the machines.

The customers aren't stupid, it's the fact that many overfill the bagging area with packages of pepsi or milk cartons. As you set them on the ground, the machine is already panicking that the item is not in the bagging area.

According to one of the clerks, 98% of the customers at my local Walgreen stores walk, bike, or take transit. Hardly anyone drives and there is no parking. It doesn't help that our bagging methods are sloppy, and the way the bags are arranged on the self checkouts make double bagging a hassle for heavy items, so they risk breaking on the walk home. It was far easier when there was a clerk. Also, at least you didn't feel rushed to check out when it was the clerk who customers behind you could get mad at. Jeez, I'm sorry if I like to place my items in the bag a particular way.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I agree, but what they did was improve productivity, and passed that savings on to the customers, possibly with the hope that it will put them at a competitive advantage.
    Savings passed to customers? B.S Like what, 10 cents per $30 spent. That means I save 50 cents a month at Walgreens or CVS. Oh joy!
    Last edited by wolverine; September-21-10 at 12:25 AM.

I agree, but what they did was improve productivity, and passed that savings on to the customers,
    Wrong.

I could go into a litany of reasons, but I will not use these lanes. Period. At HD, I'll go to the outside garden register, the lumber/contractor counter, or grab a manager to ring it up. If there's an error, it going to be on them, not me.

Same thing at KMart. They always have at least one lane and the service counter available. The U-check lanes were always empty here while people waited in line for a tended lane. Last I saw, they had blocked off the U-check lanes. I don't know if they even still work or not.

According to one of the clerks, 98% of the customers at my local Walgreen stores do not reach them by car, but walk, bike, or take transit.
    Wait for the next generation of these monstrosities. You'll walk through a lane with a full cart of groceries without unloading it. Scanners will pick up the RFID chips in each item and present a total sale amount. Then they'll scan an RFID chip in your credit card while it's still in your wallet and charge the amount. If there's a pricing error, you're screwed trying to get it corrected after the fact. The technology is already available and has been tested and demonstrated. The chips are already in use in many products and charge cards. It's the same general technology in use by some states for truck weigh stations and toll booths where you drive though without slowing down. It's also used by Mobil [[or was) for their passive payment system MobilPass [[if I remember the name right).
    Last edited by Meddle; September-21-10 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    I've stepped into what I thought was the end of the line before there only to be told politely that the line continues quite abit down one of the aisles.
    I have had that happen to me a few times, and I had the manager try to tell me the end of the line was 3 times longer than I thought it was. I said to him that he needed to open more registers if the line was this long, and the responce was he was short of staff that day [[Although I didn't see him working) . I put my purchases on the shelf in the aisle right in front of the manager, and walked out of the store.

I'll tell ya, some of these people who go to drug stores drive me insane with the amount of time they waste at the register...

The got to spend 5 minutes looking for their special shopper discount card...

They got to make sure the item they bought is in the flier so they can get the discount. If it doesn't scan, then they want to see a manager or won't buy it

Then when you thought it was bad enough they write a check to pay for $5 worth of groceries.

Yea, im all for the U-Scans. Im tied of going in there for a bottle of cough syrup and spending 20 minutes in line dealing with the billshit.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Im tied of going in there for a bottle of cough syrup and spending 20 minutes in line dealing with the billshit.
    God, don't get me started on Bill and his bowel control issues.

Im tied of going in there for a bottle of cough syrup and spending 20 minutes in line ...

Go to the smaller neighborhood stores instead of the mega chains. They'll appreciate your business.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Okay, do we have anything besides corporate doublespeak to back this up? When I worked at Farmer Jack, they were introduced in 2000. Since then, grocery prices have skyrocketed. I know there are obviously plenty of other factors, namely fuel [[buying local would help this) but the U-Scans sure don't seem to make a dent in what I have to pay.

People who use those things are chumps. You realize when you go to these stores much of the markup is for having an employee there to help you and ring you up and bag your groceries for you, right? I guess if you want to do more work for yourself and pass the savings on to the company, who can then go and cut their staff even further, then by all means!!!

When they started there were four U-Scans for each clerk manning them [[which was always hell). Now there are 10 in some cases. They told the union they wouldn't eliminate jobs, heh.

We lament the loss of our manufacturing but remember Farmer Jack? Well, those were union jobs too. Those cashier ladies [[and men, but they were primarily older ladies at my store) could be earning $14/hr in a few years and work good shifts with seniority. A lot of them depended on that. Now, you're lucky to earn $14 anywhere, and you'll be earning $8/hr at best at Wal-Mart. It's cliche but we've raced to the bottom, folks. Keep scanning and bagging your own groceries and drive off in your import.

As an aside, virtually every time I've waited in line with a small item, people with large amount of groceries will let me go in front of them. You know, it probably helps if you don't sit there and cuss about the line or scowl at people or whatever. I'll sure as hell never use U-Scans though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    God, don't get me started on Bill and his bowel control issues.
    Ha, you got me thinking of the incidents where some customer is requesting assistance in one of the aisles by pushing the button.

"Assistance is need in the anti-acids aisle"

4 minutes later

"Assistance is needed in the anti-acids aisle"
    "Assistance is needed in the anti-...."
    "Assistance is needed....."
    ""Assistance is...."

Okay already, quit pushing the button!

about a year and a half ago CVS came to a corktown meeting and said that it would build a store on the north west corner of MLK/Trumbull/GrandRiver.....nothing ever happened. I assume it died. Anymore info out there?

Im tied of going in there for a bottle of cough syrup and spending 20 minutes in line ...

Go to the smaller neighborhood stores instead of the mega chains. They'll appreciate your business.
    Quote of the day!

As for me, I hate those stupid U-scans. Whenever I use them at the grocery store, the recorded voice always accuses me of not putting the item in the bagging area, pauses, and then requires.... what? An actual employee. In the meantime, I have to stand there at a standstill. And every time I buy wine, I have to wait for an employee to come over to verify my ID, too. It would be quicker with an actual employee, and I would gladly pay a small premium on my groceries to create more jobs. You get what you pay for, folks.

Magnificent valor, Meddle!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    People who use those things are chumps. You realize when you go to these stores much of the markup is for having an employee there to help you and ring you up and bag your groceries for you, right? I guess if you want to do more work for yourself and pass the savings on to the company, who can then go and cut their staff even further, then by all means!!!
    And how about the cart corrals?

gdogslim Guest

Jobas are created with UScan machines, You need engineers, electricians, assembly people, marketing people, managers, etc etc, just to make, install, sell, fix the machines.
    See how that job creation thing works? Now it will give the cashiers more time to deal with you and me.

Jobas are created with UScan machines, You need engineers, electricians, assembly people, marketing people, managers, etc etc, just to make, install, sell, fix the machines.
    See how that job creation thing works? Now it will give the cashiers more time to deal with you and me.

Sorry, they aren't jobs in my local area. I don't care.

And the time I see cashiers spending is fixing the machines or voiding mistakes. I've been using these things for 10 years, but I still occasionally push a wrong button or struggle with a bunch of heavy items. I wouldn't be complaining if it weren't for the fact that these places have phased out the full service checkouts entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    People who use those things are chumps.
    Hey chump, how's that self serve gas station working out for you???

And for God's sake don't use a credit card at the pump... go inside and pay the cashier first before pumping gas... we need to keep them working as well.

If you want to pay 10-15 cents extra for full service gas stations... there's a few in Grosse Pointe and St. Clair Shores I can point out to you....

I hope you're still dialing "0" for the operator to make all your phone calls for you?? We want to keep as many operators employed as possible.

This silly thread keeps reappearing in different variations about every 3 months....

For those who have problems with the U-Serves... here's a tip... only pick up one item at a time to scan, and then place in the bagging area... don't be holding 4 yogurt containers in one hand thinking that you'll speed up the process.... you won't!

While many of you are loathe to use new technology and prefer to stand in line while the people in front of you are sorting thru their coupons to give to the cashier before they ask the cashier for a pen to write their checks.... the rest of us will spend our 2 minutes at the U-Serve... and get on with the rest of our lives....

I too used to work for the food retail workers union 876... doesn't mean I'm not sensitive to their issues.... but really... when I was a cashier, we rang out each item on the register by hand... there weren't any scanners. Does that mean we should avoid stores with scanners as well??

We're not the Amish... so this "selective" use of only "some" technology is rather hypocritical....

P.S. DetroitDad, I'm not admonishing your initial post... but these threads always seem to go off on illogical tangents...
    Last edited by Gistok; September-21-10 at 01:55 PM.

I refuse to use U-scan. I will not work for free and am not training for a part time job. Grocery prices are already high enough, why should I work for free so a store manager can get a bigger bonus. Give me a discount for checking out myself and we'll talk about it.

after reading this thread i will make it my mission in life to use the u-scan as often as possible and shop exclusively at stores that have them.

Quote Originally Posted by rid0617 View Post
    I refuse to use U-scan. I will not work for free and am not training for a part time job. Grocery prices are already high enough, why should I work for free so a store manager can get a bigger bonus. Give me a discount for checking out myself and we'll talk about it.
    OK, I'll bite...

Make sure that you NEVER get a shopping cart from the parking lot, and only get them from inside the store in the cart area... and when you take your groceries back out to the car in the cart... make sure you leave the cart right next to the car... and not put it into the cart corral... that way you won't accidentally be training to be a bagger working for free, and giving the store manager an even bigger bonus!

And whatever you do... DO NOT bag your own groceries. Just stand there, and wait for the cashier [[or in the rare case when one is available... the bagger) to pack your groceries...

Yes... I know... it sounds silly....

It is up to the individual if you want to use uscan. For what ever reason. I use them, I like to bag my groceries the way I want. I can see if the items are ringing up correctly. I can also see if my coupons were used correctly. People may say they take away jobs. Well we have ATM'S and self serve gas stations. If they have the technology, new things invented everyday, people will use them. Some of them anyway. Grocery stores have to find ways to save money due to the theft and shrink. Any idea how much food is wasted every day in a store? Lots. Careless creeps throw refrigerated and frozen items in the chip ailse because they are too lazy to take back. The waste is staggering. When I was growing, people were more respectful of things. Forget it today. The LBJ Great Society has dulled down, dumbed down many aspects of our way of life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast