Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Capital Park

Default Capital Park

I just drove by Capital Park which must be preparing for fiilming a scene for a movie since there are commerical signage added to the ground level storefronts. It highligts the potential future use for the area. with commerical activity surroudning the park on a more human [[pedestrian friendly) scale. The transformation of this area seems to be a optainable goal. It anyone is aware of the project timetable and status of the buildngs the state of Michigan bought around the park?

Any Pictures?

I saw that today too. I did not get a chance to look closely but I saw a Dunkin Donuts, an insurance agency, and a new bar in formerly empty storefronts. I was hoping that these were getting built as part of the City's investment in Capitol Park and knowing that a they could take advantage of having the Hotels and apartments/condos close by. It never even occured to me that this could be a movie set. I think I need to make a walk up there and look.

I did get an e-mail earlier today from the Downtown Detroit Partnership saying they have several street closures planned for the week, including Shelby, Griswold, Clifford, and Grand River, stating it may or not be a movie. [[I guess its an attempt to provide information without zeroing in the paparazzi).

Capitol Park

bartock Guest

Drove past it this morning and it is something to see...a little taste of what could be, as they have also put a cafe in this faux-retail strip. Wish I'd havc taken a picture.

I drove by the other day and in peeking between the fence I have to say I'm impressed by the amount of brick they're using. Not as much concrete as I originally thought. Thumbs up to that! I'll be excited to see it when it's all complete later this fall. Now, if the city can only pull together a good rehabilitation plan for the historic buildings surrounding the park....

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I drove by the other day and in peeking between the fence I have to say I'm impressed by the amount of brick they're using. Not as much concrete as I originally thought. Thumbs up to that! I'll be excited to see it when it's all complete later this fall. Now, if the city can only pull together a good rehabilitation plan for the historic buildings surrounding the park....
    and if they can't rehab the buildings, they can always make the park larger!

Parking for the park? <shudder>

Is Capital Park the scene of the new Sean Penn movie? At the risk of sounding like a name-dropper, I ran into David Byrne -- yes, that David Byrne -- yesterday on Lafayette, at the United Way street fair. He said he was in town to do some music for the Penn movie. Byrne was riding a black bike, a hybrid, I think, but when we chatted he was standing on the street, gnawing on a giant barbecued turkey leg. Nice guy. Very approachable.