Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1-8-7

i didnt catch the 'soda' line...

i DID catch the 'loft district' but not being a resident, i didnt know if that was some new development down around the 'theatre' district or 'fox town'...

i DID enjoy the grief that was being dished about putting catsup on a coney. they got the name of the 'dog' right so that was cool...

i DID enjoy the line about 'stopping them here so we dont have to stop them in ferndale'...

187 isnt a POLICE code, it is california PENAL Code. michigan's equivalent is MCL [[michigan compiled law) remember on adam 12 when they would get a call about a "211 in progress"? that was an armed robbery [[pc 211) in progress... cali PC 5150 is criminally insane, PC 242 is assault and battery, PC 602 is trespassing...

i didnt pay close enough attention to see it wasnt filmed in Detroit and i dont know the city well enough to say that the Temple and Cass location wasnt correct...

ill watch it again...

It was boring to me. I'll definitely watch a few more episodes, but I don't think it can touch something like The Wire or The Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    It was boring to me. I'll definitely watch a few more episodes, but I don't think it can touch something like The Wire or The Shield.
    We'll never have the equivalent of The Wire in the D. That was a once per generation event.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    We'll never have the equivalent of The Wire in the D. That was a once per generation event.
    The Wire was the best show ever. Period. The End.

^ Amen and case closed.

Watching L&O: SVU's season premiere tonight... it's like going from kindergarten to 12th grade in 24 hours. I really, really hope that the 1-8-7 writers have mined the rich treasure trove of Detroit politics and news stories.

Buy American Guest

I guess no one got the jab about residency in the police department at the beginning of the show.
    The new black detectives part was a joke. His phone ringtones, cuffing a perp to a playground slide and turning his back on him while taking a call from an obviously pregnant wife or girlfriend, barfing at a crime scene possibly destroying crucial evidence.....this series is a thumbs down as far as my vote goes. Also, I will have to relook at my DVR of 187 because when they were called to a crime scene in their crown vic, the red light wasn't on the top of the car, then it was, then it wasn't....little details that should have been corrected in the final editing. This is a one season show.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    This is a one season show.
    Interesting.

As much as some people insist on going through the show's details with the fine toothed comb efficiency of a forensic detective, I wonder how the Detroit masses will feel when this show eventually gets yanked. I'm not stating a time frame when because it could last another two shows, one season, five seasons, maybe a dozen seasons or more but one of these days, it will get yanked off the air. How are we going to feel then?

Are we going to bemoan the fact that we're no longer in the spotlight? Are we going to cry victim once again? I hope not. It's a television show; it's entertainment; it's not real life nor does it fully represent this area as a whole. The show has a purpose and that's to entertain and reach the masses- if it doesn't do that, it'll get canned. That's the name of the game here, so be prepared and try not to shed a tear for that day, please. It's just an hour long cop show that just happens to be filmed partially in this city- let's not take it SO personally when they screw up, use things out of context, flub Detroit-isms, and eventually get taken off the air.

I lived on Oahu while they were filming Magnum PI there. The show made a lot of mistakes as far as the locals were concerned, but nobody cared. Private investigators work undercover most of the time and tend to be low key, so having him drive a Ferrari was absurd. The show did ok though.

I hope that show Detroit 1-8-7 gets cancelled. I watched it and the framework is lousy piece the police drama that I have ever seen. It's the Hollywood media's way to bash our once great city.

^^^ If you refer to Detroit as a "once great city," aren't you admitting defeat yourself? I no longer live in Detroit yet I still refer to it as a great city.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    ^^^ If you refer to Detroit as a "once great city," aren't you admitting defeat yourself? I no longer live in Detroit yet I still refer to it as a great city.
    Yes, because Detroit once was the Paris of the midwest, the stove making capitol in the U.S.before the Automobiles and Motown pop and soul music. Detroit once was the "Arsenal of Democracy."

I urged all Detroiters and Suburbanites not to watch Detroit 1-8-7.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Yes, because Detroit once was the Paris of the midwest, the stove making capitol in the U.S.before the Automobiles and Motown pop and soul music. Detroit once was the "Arsenal of Democracy."

I urged all Detroiters and Suburbanites not to watch Detroit 1-8-7.

Why not? the Street Prophet does, in a TENT, for God's sake.

lilpup Guest

I'm going to watch it. I didn't think it was that bad at all.

And just because someone doesn't comment on something doesn't mean it wasn't noticed.

You people bitch too goddamned much.

gdogslim Guest

It was pure genius naming the show 1-8-7, they really did the homework on the title.
    I don't know if it was the first show and to get people enticed, but there was way too much going on and it was a little hard to follow with them going back and forth and bringing so many people into the fold all at once.
    Next they will order a chili dog. If the show is about the D then you use the local colloquial.

CBC's "Q" had an interview the other day with one of the actors, Shaun Majumder. He said he moved into an apartment in R.O. and bought furniture in Detroit and he talks about the show.
    Here's a download link to the podcast: http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/qpodcast_20100920_38443.mp3 [[21.9 MB)
    The interview begins at about 14:22.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    CBC's "Q" had an interview the other day with one of the actors, Shaun Majumder. He said he moved into an apartment in R.O. and bought furniture in Detroit and he talks about the show.
    Here's a download link to the podcast: http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/qpodcast_20100920_38443.mp3 [[21.9 MB)
    The interview begins at about 14:22.

I don't understand all of the praise about these actors moving to the area and buying home furninshings. What's the big deal? They're moving fora JOB, just like anybody else who [[re)locates to an area for a JOB. I'm just saying this isn't much to be impressed about.

What does 1-8-7 stand for ?

1-8-7 is either a current or an old code used by cops on their radio's for a homicide . According to today's Detroit News , the show did well in the ratings in this region , but not very well outside of this region . This puzzles me because everyone talks trash about us , and all the cop shows set in NYC do well lol

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    It was pure genius naming the show 1-8-7, they really did the homework on the title.

Would it be better for you if they named it Detroit 750.316? Because that would make it real easy for people to know what it was about. Everybody, even Detroiters knows that 187 means homicide. Christ, you people will bitch about everyting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    1-8-7 is either a current or an old code used by cops on their radio's for a homicide . According to today's Detroit News , the show did well in the ratings in this region , but not very well outside of this region . This puzzles me because everyone talks trash about us , and all the cop shows set in NYC do well lol
    The article I read said that it did extremely well in Detroit, and good everywhere else. It was ABC's highest rating for that time slot in years...

qwitcher bitching about us bitching

The stats and ratings from a newspaper:

'Detroit 1-8-7' kills locally, gets killed nationally
    There's good news and bad news for the premiere of "Detroit 1-8-7." First, the good news: The show made a killing locally, earning a 46.5 share, meaning 46.5 percent of all local TVs turned on at that time were tuned to the ABC cop drama. The national numbers weren't quite as rosy, however: "1-8-7" drew a modest 9.8 million total viewers, which was off around 35 percent from its "Dancing With the Stars" lead-in. The ratings were down slightly from the premiere of "The Forgotten," which debuted in the same time slot last year and was quickly canceled from ABC's schedule, according to Variety. "1-8-7" did beat its timeslot competitor, NBC's "Parenthood," in overall viewers, and it could see an uptick in viewership once DVR statistics are measured. But to put it plainly, "Glee" it ain't.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    qwitcher bitching about us bitching

The stats and ratings from a newspaper:

'Detroit 1-8-7' kills locally, gets killed nationally
    There's good news and bad news for the premiere of "Detroit 1-8-7." First, the good news: The show made a killing locally, earning a 46.5 share, meaning 46.5 percent of all local TVs turned on at that time were tuned to the ABC cop drama. The national numbers weren't quite as rosy, however: "1-8-7" drew a modest 9.8 million total viewers, which was off around 35 percent from its "Dancing With the Stars" lead-in. The ratings were down slightly from the premiere of "The Forgotten," which debuted in the same time slot last year and was quickly canceled from ABC's schedule, according to Variety. "1-8-7" did beat its timeslot competitor, NBC's "Parenthood," in overall viewers, and it could see an uptick in viewership once DVR statistics are measured. But to put it plainly, "Glee" it ain't.
    I think the author is being a bit overly critical... 9.8 million viewers isn't exactly something to scoff at. But this is what the Freep said:

According to a statement released by ABC, “Detroit 1-8-7” greatly improved the hour for ABC, boosting the slot by 3.8 million viewers [[9.7 million vs. 5.9 million) and by 33% in the advertiser-coveted demographic of 18- to 49-year-olds over its 2009-10 TV season averages with regular programming in the time period. The spot was previously filled by the now-canceled “The Forgotten.”
    Representatives from ABC added that the new series drew the network’s biggest audience with a regular original scripted series telecast in the time slot since September of 2009.

Read more: 'Detroit 1-8-7' debut draws big audience in metro Detroit | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2010092...#ixzz10OGFdElp

The numbers "Stars" pulls are some of ABC's best. Others ABC shows, by and large, come in lower. A writeup saying 1-8-7 pulled numbers 35 percent lower than "Stars" is similar to berating some Fox show that comes in lower than American Idol.

I'm looking forward to future 1-8-7 episodes that really have lots of Detroit footage and credibility. As others have pointed out, there should be real streets and neighborhoods, and other identifiers. That's the soul of the piece, that authenticity. And, as is true in Baltimore, the real thing is better than any make-believe stuff in Hollywood.

Definitely. I was bored as hell watching 187, but SVU had me captivated for 2 hours. There is no way i'm going to watch a series with bad writing and acting just to see Detroit scenary.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    ^ Amen and case closed.

Watching L&O: SVU's season premiere tonight... it's like going from kindergarten to 12th grade in 24 hours. I really, really hope that the 1-8-7 writers have mined the rich treasure trove of Detroit politics and news stories.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Looks like the gnome home might have to break down and get a tv.
    http://www.hulu.com/detroit-1-8-7. Problem Solved.

'Cept for Whitehouse, unless they've found a proxy to use by now.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast