Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Detroit 1-8-7

Default New ABC Televison Show "187 Detroit"

http://topics.mlive.com/tag/187%20Detroit/index.html

I stumbled upon these articles and found them quite interesting. For one, I'm actually pretty shocked that they are actually considering having a new ABC television show based in Detroit. I thought that I would never see that. I'm not sure if it is actually going to be filmed in Detroit or not, but if not, it would still be neat to see a show where people refer to Detroit landmarks and places.

It gets away from the tradional crime/police shows that are based in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, etc...

Here is a video I found on uTube, I'm not sure if it is an audition for the show or something, but it was labeled "187 Detroit" and the characters refer to places like "Belle Isle" and "Mack Ave". It's kind of funny because you can tell it's filmed in a warmer climate, not Detroit obviously, notice the palm trees.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQ81BYrLpI

Doesn't even look like it was filmed in the U.S.

Buy American Guest

Some of the trees look like they are in California or Florida. This wasn't filmed in Detroit.

"187" has no relevance to Detroit or Michigan. If they can't even get that much right, I have no interest.

I don't see why they don't take advantage of the Filming tax credits, that would seem obvious.. even if all scenes were not done in detroit, some other urban michigan cities could also suffice..

curious.. based on the footage.. I wonder how many british immigrants are detroit cops, also east-indian americans.. [[not criticizing)..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; March-11-10 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Some of the trees look like they are in California or Florida. This wasn't filmed in Detroit.
    The license plate on that car at the beginning is not American. And many of the cars and trucks in the various scenes aren't even sold in the U.S.

That's not a pilot. It's a screen test.

looks BORING!!!

love the "looks like a chevy", "no, its a ford, f-150 you can tell from the fog lights"

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    "187" has no relevance to Detroit or Michigan. If they can't even get that much right, I have no interest.

I'm pretty sure the 187 is in reference to the police code for murder. What did you think it was, an area code?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/187_%28murder%29

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 187 is in reference to the police code for murder. What did you think it was, an area code?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/187_%28murder%29

i'm no expert but i would be willing to guess that 187 is NOT the code in detroit for murder... maybe LA, but not detroit.......

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller1 View Post
    http://topics.mlive.com/tag/187%20Detroit/index.html

I stumbled upon these articles and found them quite interesting. For one, I'm actually pretty shocked that they are actually considering having a new ABC television show based in Detroit. I thought that I would never see that. I'm not sure if it is actually going to be filmed in Detroit or not, but if not, it would still be neat to see a show where people refer to Detroit landmarks and places.

It gets away from the tradional crime/police shows that are based in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, etc...

Here is a video I found on uTube, I'm not sure if it is an audition for the show or something, but it was labeled "187 Detroit" and the characters refer to places like "Belle Isle" and "Mack Ave". It's kind of funny because you can tell it's filmed in a warmer climate, not Detroit obviously, notice the palm trees.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQ81BYrLpI
    Where've you been? There are palm trees on Belle Isle.

Michael Imperioli to star in '187 Detroit'

Emmy-winning Sopranos alum Michael Imperioli will star as a short-tempered police detective in the ABC pilot, 187 Detroit. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the show will be a faux documentary of a Detroit homicide department where Imperioli’s character, Fitch, is a revered member of the force.

187 Detroit - New Pilot Show - Casting Call

STORY LINE
    A documentary filmmaking crew follows the Detroit Police Department's Homicide Squad during a "typical" day in the field, only to have the day turn out to be brutally atypical -- as usual...

[DETECTIVE JOSEPH FITCH] 40s. Caucasian, a testy, smart, tough-minded cop with zero tolerance for annoyance, Fitch is a veteran detective who serves the living by capturing killers, and has a near-miraculous record for clearing cases and putting murderers in cages. Remarkably determined, but with a short short fuse, Fitch is a clenched man who appears to have some horror in his past that drives him to trail men and women with blood on their hands. He's extremely unpredictable, stunning people with his odd behavioral traits and sudden mood shifts. Empathetic only when he needs to be, and expert at keeping his deepest thoughts to himself, he's respected by virtually everyone on the Detroit police force...SERIES REGULAR [[1)

[DETECTIVE DAMON WASHINGTON] In his mid 20s, African-American, Washington has a boyish, indomitably optimistic face, possibly because his wife is due to give birth any hour. It's his first day on the job as a homicide detective, and he's partnered with the ultimate veteran cop, Joe Fitch -- who has no time for rookies. A cheerful guy who pukes at his first sight of a corpse, Washington is not really up to Fitch's speed [[to put it mildly), and his upbeat manner meets with Fitch's grim disapproval...SERIES REGULAR [[3)

[SERGEANT JESSE "LONG HAUL" LONGFORD] An African-American man in his mid 50s, Longford has been with Detroit Homicide for 30 years. He loves Detroit, knows every square inch of the city and could write a book on its history. On the verge of retirement, Longford is planning to move to a house in Tuscany, and has spent months polishing his Italian. Partnered with Majan, Longford is a quick-witted man who drops Italian phrases with regularity, and is assigned to the murder of a divorce attorney. Longford [[and pretty much every other detective) is obliged to shift into high gear after learning the murder is part of a killing spree...SERIES REGULAR [[5)

[DETECTIVE AMAN MAJAN] 35 years old, with a genial face, he is East Indian, and came to this country when he was 15 years old. Majan has been a detective with Detroit Homicide for 7 years, and is partnered with the much more experienced Jesse Longford. A wicked-dry wit, he quips with a straight face. He and Longford are like a married couple, finishing each other's sentences. Assigned to investigate a car found floating in the river, Majan follows the trail of a murdered divorce attorney, only to learn that the killing is part of the same brutal spree that's being simultaneously investigated by Fitch and Washington...SERIES REGULAR [[6)

[LIEUTENANT MAUREEN MASON] In her 40s, African-American, she carries that look of being overworked and underpaid. She's spent 15 years with Detroit Homicide, and is now the head of the Department, obliged to ride herd over a pack of tough-minded cops and a city that appears to be in a suicide pact with itself. The single mother of a teenage daughter who acts out when Mom's not at home [[and Mom is rarely at home), Mason has to keep Fitch, her best detective, happy on the job, even though Fitch is never really happy about anything...SERIES REGULAR [[13)

[DETECTIVE ARIANA SANCHEZ] 30 years old, another detective with Detroit Homicide, Sanchez is sexy-beautiful [[and plenty aware of it), but also carries a discernible edge that you don't want to mess with. She's working alone on this case because her partner recently, and unexpectedly, died of a brain aneurysm. Having spent five years as a homicide detective, she assists Fitch and Washington investigating a double murder. A very smart cop who grew up in a very bad neighborhood...SERIES REGULAR [[7)

[DETECTIVE JOHN SMITH] Early 30s. An extremely good looking undercover detective, Smith has a digitally blurred face, because the documentary crew is forbidden from showing his face on camera. The kind of guy who's so hot that the women in the office ogle his every move, he is a veteran cop who goes deep undercover...SERIES REGULAR 7/13

[DR. SHELBY CORK] 35 years old but looking 25, Dr. Cork is a pretty and eccentric woman, wearing cat glasses, with a hipster vibe. A Medical Examiner for the City of Detroit, who plays roller derby in her spare time [[and has the shiner to prove it). This is not the Medical Examiner you expect to see...SERIES REGULAR 10/13

[PRINCE OF PRINTS] In his 30s, male, a dynamic African-American fingerprint analyst, he's an outgoing guy with a lot of spirit, famous for being able to identify any print, any where, any time. "The Ace Of Trace," he mugs for the camera as he identifies prints...SERIES REGULAR 7/13

Read more: http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/01/187...#ixzz0hvLZY93c

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    i'm no expert but i would be willing to guess that 187 is NOT the code in detroit for murder... maybe LA, but not detroit.......
    Good point. However, I think besides its literal use in California, 187 is probably a now pop culture term commonly understood to reference murder.

i think its a good idea... the youtube video was horrible

i have often though about how a TV show set it detroit would benefit detroit. my idea was more of a comedy - something not focused on crime but not tiptoeing around it either... but even a police show... its good. its good for detroit because it normalizes the city a bit. people see it on tv and it becomes a familiar place with people they might be able to relate too. some might say the murder show would showcase the crime in the city but many crime shoes take place in NY, LA etc... i think a show set in detroit will be good for the city.. epically if the main character is a "cool guy" and lives in an interesting house in a hip neighborhood!

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    It's the California Penal code section. It has nothing to do with Detroit or Michigan. It might be pop culture for gang banger or TV fools in California, but it has nothing to do with Detroit.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the show will be a faux documentary of a Detroit homicide department

No, it's fiction, nothing more. They haven't even done their homework on the make-up of DPD Homicide staffing.

I'm willing to bet they'll falsely show some high-tech state of the art crime lab too, which DPD doesn't have. I doubt they'll show the old refrigerator used as a cyano-acrylic fuming chamber.

The Dude Guest

When I saw the elevated highway, I thought it was in Tampa, but the pillars did not look right and the traffic was going in bvoth directions. In the a.m the traffic is one way going into Tampa, and in the p.m it is reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    When I saw the elevated highway, I thought it was in Tampa, but the pillars did not look right and the traffic was going in bvoth directions. In the a.m the traffic is one way going into Tampa, and in the p.m it is reversed.
    I was thinking South West Florida as well, but the acting was so damn awful I couldn't stand to watch enough of it to be sure.

187 is slang for murder...

it originated in California because all of the laws in cali are P.C. xxx much the way in Michigan we use MCL 750.316

as in someone is charged with P.C. 187...

P.C. stands for Penal Code, MCL stands for Michigan Compiled Laws. sometimes referred to as MCLA. add the word Annotated to the above description...

The video was shot in Australia. The trees look like eucalyptus, very long silvery leaves. The spot where he's driving, the video was probably reversed so it looks like he's driving on the right side. Later when there's a bridge in the background, you can see traffic is driving on the left. Later there's a big truck with NQX written on it. A quick Google search shows its an Australian freight company. His email address at the end also ends in .au, which is the code for Australia.

Edit: Actually you can tell they reversed the in-car shots because the guy's watch appears to be on his right hand, while in all other shots it's on his left hand.
    Last edited by Nicodeme; March-12-10 at 05:58 PM.

i hope you guys dont think thats actual footage from the show. its a test reel for the actor, who clearly lives in a place like australia. the guy helping him even has an australian accent. dont expect to see any of this in the actual show.

southsider Guest

Default Detroit 1-8-7

Does Hollywood's latest representation of Detroit help or hurt PR for the city? Is it time that Detroit just embraces its image? Are we full of hubris? Is this who we are? Is it possible to show the "grit" without "glorifying" it? Everyone else is captitolizing on the decay of the city, is it time that we put aside this phoenixx rising mentality?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_731176.html

love the article's last sentence. "It's so fertile – the energy is so ripe here."

There's what, 8 or 9 threads on this already?

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Default Detroit 1-8-7: Watching just for the soundtrack? LOL!

Ok.... It's premiering now.... I didn't want to give this show a chance because I watched all five seasons of The Wire this summer and I don't like the title of this show. And there's only one Black female so far....

Should I keep watching?

Keep watching! Five minutes in, Law & Order it ain't... but the soundtrack is awesome and it's great to see authentic locations in the D!

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast