Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Hooptie Needed

Ravine Guest

Default Hooptie Needed

Thanks to a woman who pulled out of a liquor-store parking lot and right into oncoming Grand River Avenue traffic, Sunday night, my '94 Dodge may not survive.
    So, I am looking for a car, cheap cheap CHEAP.
    The general appearance of my transport-module has no relevance to my self-image. I don't give a damn how the car looks, and I'm a guy who, basically, just drives back & forth between work & home five days a week, a round-trip of about 13 miles.
    Requirements:
    Starts dependably.
    Moves forward in a straight[[ish) fashion.
    Has doors. [[Negotiable.)
    Can attain speed of 30 MPH without wobbling the teeth right from outta my head.
    Cash transaction. Will not attempt to offer down-payment while using my adorable grand-son as collateral for the balance, although use of un-employed son will be considered.

can't help you with anything I've got hanging around, but I took a peek at craigslist

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ctd/1943919190.html

The 240 is the model T of modern autos. Bulletproof gas sipping 4 cyl. Easy-to-find parts, stupid easy to do all put the most complicated of repairs. I know a guy who only works on volvos, he is in your area and might be able to take care of anything complicated..

let me know if you want someone to look at with you. Not that clever with a wrench, but I have some experience with the 240.

checkraisej Guest

Where's Trainman these days? I bet he could give you some ideas on back and forth travel for work.

Ravine Guest

Thanks, Gnome.
    I solved the problem, today.
    The $1500 would not have been within my immediate reach, anyway, and my need was immediate.
    And double-thanks for the considerate offer. That was very kind of you, and that kindness will not be forgotten.

Thanks for making me smile. I thought I was the only one who drove a hooptie. It's 14 years old, low mileage and drives great! Looks like hell warmed over though, thanks to three hit and run accidents. My car was parked and unattended each time.

My other car is 17 years old, drives great but sucks gas like a hog.

Ravine Guest

Well, the gas-sucking thing is bad bad bad, especially now, but I'm all about vehicles that are a dozen, or so, years old.
    The one which was [[probably) destroyed on Sunday night was a '94 Dodge Spirit, which was getting close to 100,000 miles, but I had every intention of remaining automotively wedded to it for-- I was hoping-- another five years, at the least.
    I know the following statement is not entirely sensible, but I tend to believe that if a car is still up & running 15+ years after it was assembled, then no matter how many little nagging issues it may have developed, it started out as A Good One, and just may be worth one's continuing to have those little issues ironed out.
    When a car has been around here long enough that the salty gunk from the roads has finally led to the fuel line springing a rust-induced leak, that's sort of a good sign, in a back-asswards kind of way.

Both of mine are mid-90s and I won't have anything newer than that. Too many gadgets and gizmos to go sproing. Gimme something where I can at least see the spark plugs when I open the hood.

good luck with your new used ride, Ravine. Hope you outfit it with a stylish pine tree airfreshener, or better yet, a nice crown in the back window.

Ravine Guest

I getcha, Gnome, but the odd thing about pipe-tobacco smoke is that, if you keep the area ventilated, the odor doesn't cling with anywhere near the unfortunate tenacity demonstrated by cigarette smoke.

agreed, you need to get a windproof zippo for your new ride. I carry my Dad's WWII model, ... someday I'll show it to you.

Just wanted to say - this is the best title for a thread ever.

Funny, my oldest car is a Spirit too. The other is a Taurus. Around here a car is a necessity. Just wish electric golf carts were street legal.

Ravine Guest

Back to needing a hooptie again. Story too ugly to even get into, right now.

checkraisej Guest

That's the risk you run when you buy cheap hoopties. Sometimes they only last a month. How much are you looking to spend this time?

oh man, I'm sorry for your loss Ravine. You might want to try a couple of those auction sites that deal with off loading state-owned property. bidcorp.com is one, but there is another, also DTE sells their old rides but they are pretty rough.

how mch is too much?

http://www.govbids.com/scripts/surpl...tl.asp?id=8103

ending in and hr

http://www.govbids.com/scripts/surpl...tl.asp?id=8222

a little larger, but would make a nice date-night-out ride

Ravine Guest

Wow, Gnome, thanks.
    I may have solved the problem [[again... hopefully really solved, this time, eh?)
    Never the less, what a resource. Thanks again.
    Starting to think I should just go into the business of buying hoopties, having a mechanic work 'em up a bit, and re-selling them. That way, if I happen upon a real gem, I can keep it inside the family.

1989 SirMixAlot's love poem for his 69 deuce and a quarter

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    1989 SirMixAlot's love poem for his 69 deuce and a quarter

Man, that song brings back memories !! great song!! LOL