Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Packard Demolition Scheduled, Work Begun; City Interferes

Last Updated: September 20. 2010 1:00AM
    Detroit charges Packard agent
    City claims structural steel was being removed from closed auto plant without proper permits
    Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The city is accusing a representative with the long-closed Packard Motor Car Co. plant of sending a crew in to illegally cut steel beams from the decrepit facility late last month.

But Peter Adamo says workers were only cleaning up debris from illegal scrappers, preparing the site for the owners' planned demolition of the plant in about a year.

The city charged Adamo of Clarkston with 23 misdemeanors on Aug. 30, after inspectors found a crew removing structural steel without demolition permits, city officials said. Police impounded the crew's equipment, including a truck, a track loader and a Dumpster packed with beams. Each misdemeanor carries up to 90 days in jail and a $500 fine.

Adamo, who said he is an agent for a Packard owner he won't identify, said he doesn't understand why the city charged him because he wasn't on-site at the time of the inspection.

"They are just out for us," said Adamo, a Detroit real estate speculator. "The contractor was just hired to do a cleanup. The Packard is going to be coming down."

"The end result is to make that a viable property."

The 100-year-old plant is one of Detroit's most notorious symbols of decline and despair. Its ownership has been disputed in court for years. This summer, the city pledged to force the owners to either demolish or secure it.

Adamo said the city's threat is not why the owners are starting the process to bring the plant down, which he estimates could take two to three years.

The crew was preparing the site for a concrete crusher, Adamo said. He said the owners want to separate out the concrete and brick remains of the plant so the material can be crushed and sold for road material.

It was Mike Stramaglia's crew that was on-site doing the work. Stramaglia said they were only picking up the materials scrappers left behind. He contended officers let trespassers stay on the Packard grounds while they were impounding the crew's equipment near Concord and Frederick.

"All we were doing was cleaning up what they already took down," Stramaglia said.

Now he wants to sue the city for damages because he's been unable to work without his pickup.

City officials say they won't release the equipment until a judge orders it. A court hearing is scheduled for Oct. 14.

Karla Henderson, the city's group executive for planning and facilities, wrote in an e-mail that the Packard owners haven't applied for any demolition permits and called it "one of Detroit's most troubling symbols of blight."

Demolition hearings are being scheduled for this fall, said city spokesman Dan Lijana.

The plant has gotten more attention in recent weeks after a local art gallery removed a mural painted at the plant reportedly by famed graffiti artist Banksy. One of the Packard owners, Romel Casab, is suing 555 Nonprofit Studio and Gallery to reclaim the artwork. Bioresource Inc. claimed in the lawsuit that it owns the Packard Plant and that Casab is the company's president.

After the lawsuit was filed, Detroit officials threatened to demolish the plant and bill Casab.

Casab has been rumored to be the owner of the plant for years. But prior to the lawsuit, the only owner or agent of Bioresource on record was Dominic Cristini, who is in prison in California on Ecstasy charges.

In 2007, the Michigan State Supreme Court denied the city of Detroit's appeal of a lower court's decision that put the property back in the hands of the private owners.

The city had wanted to clear the 35-acre site and sell it to developers.

Movie crews also are on site filming "Transformers 3."

Adamo and Stramaglia were among a group of construction and wrecking companies ordered to pay a record $36 million fine in 2002 for illegally dumping construction waste in Macomb, Wayne and Barry counties.

cmacdonald@detnews.com [[313) 222-2396

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100920/...#ixzz10398sJS7

Only in Detroit.

Tear the Packard Plant down before someone gets hurt.

I'm pretty sure the first step in demolition preparation isn't 'remove structural steel beams'

And the band played on........

yeah.....I call bullsh*t on some of the things Peter Adamo says.

Time to get rid of the eyesore. You just wonder if the city is
    holding up progress or just holding them up.
    With the city, you never know if it's a shake down or really
    a safety concern.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Time to get rid of the eyesore. You just wonder if the city is
    holding up progress or just holding them up.
    With the city, you never know if it's a shake down or really
    a safety concern.

Trust me. Its ALWAYS a shake down. Its the way of the land.

the sooner all of it comes down, the better. I'd like to see the grounds become a movie/TV studio with backlots..

Not a legitimate demolition. Did they have their abatement done? How about some permits?

By the way, it must really put some people in a bind - hating the City of Detroit so much that they start to feel sympathy for confirmed illegal dumpers and land speculators acting on behalf of drug-convicted alleged owners.

Get over it. The city was not "interfering." The city was stopping illegal demolition activities or scrapping. That's just enforcing the law for once.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    I'm pretty sure the first step in demolition preparation isn't 'remove structural steel beams'
    Last edited by Huggybear; September-20-10 at 09:23 PM.

EastSider Guest

Abatement? Permits?

Talk about a blast from the past! How long has it been since Adamo and Stramaglia were in the paper together?

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Abatement? Permits?
    Yeah, imagine that!

This story is BS. Huggybear and Eastsider and most people not working for the newspaper know. There have been goo-gobs of scrappers cutting that one particular building apart for a couple years now. If the alleged owners had gave two shits they would have called the city years ago or sent security in there to stop them. Those same scrappers have discovered the fresher meat too, in the form of the Easttown Theater and the Highland Towers.

The real story is that it's taken the city this long to go out and pay attention to the dismantling of the Packard, considering the plant's fame as a tourist attraction.

The other story is how the city makes relatively little effort to at least give an appearance of concern for safety. Notice all the barriers around the Eastown? Plastic orange or otherwise? Didn't think so. But they still have Tiger Stadium fenced off and locked down and patrolled on police time, don't they.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; September-20-10 at 09:50 PM.

lilpup Guest

too bad it didn't fall in on the scrapping bastards

What about SOIL TESTING? I heard it was messed up with toxic chemicals. True?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    too bad it didn't fall in on the scrapping bastards
    Ah, now that's a sweet fantasy!

Blarf Guest

If I owned the Packard, I would look the other way of illegal scrapping. Less shit I would have to pay for demolition costs. The scrappers are doing the work for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Less shit I would have to pay for demolition costs. The scrappers are doing the work for free.
    You can take that first sentence of the quote and apply it the opposite way. The scrappers are costing you more in the long run because they are taking the most valuable recyclable materials before you get them. In demolition the resale of reclaimed brick, scrap steel, etc. would reduce the overhead required to perform the demolition.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    If I owned the Packard, I would look the other way of illegal scrapping. Less shit I would have to pay for demolition costs. The scrappers are doing the work for free.
    Great thought-that is until a dumbass scrapper cuts a support beam that falls and crashes his skull. The family calls Carl Collins the third and you bite the big one because you had no trespassing signs every 46 feet instead of the mandated 45 feet around the perimeter of your building.