Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pre-2000 lofts in Detroit

Here is a question I have about lofts in Detroit prior to the "boom" of loft development. Were there any "real" lofts in Detroit prior to the late 90s? I am talking about taking a complete industrial space and doing very ltitle alterations....did this catch on in Detroit? Was it even possible to find genuine loft space in the 80s or early 90s? Seems like it was a NYC or Chicago sort of thing.

A number of the buildings on the South side of Gratiot across from Eastern Market, such as the Atlas Furniture Building, have had very basic loft spaces which are used as artists' studios and living spaces since the 80's and 90's. Most entrances are in the rear of the buildings on Service Street which is much more like an alley than a modern street.

The Boydell Building on the SW corner of Lafayette and Beaubien [[above Niki's Pizza) also contains basic loft spaces for low rents.

An old friend has owned a building on Griswold with six floors for a long time...he very quietly rented them as residences well before they were cool.

Right across the street from Capital Park.

the Howrani Studios building was one of the first lofts in Detroit, as was Howrani's other building on Service Street. This was in the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    A number of the buildings on the South side of Gratiot across from Eastern Market, such as the Atlas Furniture Building, have had very basic loft spaces which are used as artists' studios and living spaces since the 80's and 90's. Most entrances are in the rear of the buildings on Service Street which is much more like an alley than a modern street.

The Boydell Building on the SW corner of Lafayette and Beaubien [[above Niki's Pizza) also contains basic loft spaces for low rents.
    And there were a few along Cass as well as New Center area '1998-ish

DetroitDad Guest

Default Re: Pre-2000 lofts in Detroit

I looked at one in the early 2000's, which was definitely more along the lines of what you are referring to. It was in Corktown, above an eyeglass shop at 14th and Bagley, seen here.

I don't know my lofts, and while I could look up the actual differences five years ago on a search engine, today searches only seem to bring up BS posted by real estate agents and developers, talking about how new lofts built free standing in exurbs are "the best of both worlds".

Those lofts in Corktown were a mix of run down offices of some sort, and industrial or warehouse spaces [[not sure which). They were massive, despite how small the building may appear in the street view I posted. These lofts had some shelfing and furniture that was to big or odd to move, or was built into the building. The second floor spaces would open out to massive decks that were built over the alley. The whole place was actually pretty cool in hindsight, but just wasn't what we were looking for.

Such places still exist all over Detroit. Generally, you can find them in more local papers, online, or through word of mouth. They no longer call themselves lofts at all, but rather just apartments, followed by overly large dimensions, a description similar to what you used to see under lofts, and a overly cheap price tag for the size. The area can also give them away, though addresses don't always seem to be given.

My wife and I are looking to move, but stay in the area. We now ignore anything advertised as a loft. What we have found is that a unit being advertised as a loft is basically now codespeak for a luxury apartment with cut corners, for a much, much higher price. These properties also tend to be totally new construction, or new construction in gutted buildings [[utilizing only the original facades).

A Final Word of Advice

I would strongly advise against renting or buying anything described as being "in the heart of it all", or any development that uses the word "loft" in it's ad or name. It's not that these places aren't okay, it's just that they are actually luxury apartments utilizing loft as a buzzword. Furthermore, if you really want a luxury apartment, go to one of the buildings advertising themselves as luxury apartments, as they are generally both nicer and cheaper. I will leave you with this final link and pictures of the newest creation hatched by urban sprawl, as a step down from the mcmansion starter castles. Behold the mcloft!

Those McLofts are simply horrible. All the "trendyness" of living in a loft without the pesky city to get in the way. Gentrification really is a double edged sword isn't it?