Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Kashat Market New Location?

I have been lurking on this site since moving to Detroit Metro 18 months ago, and have been grateful for all of the information here. Whenever I am looking for some information, or where to go for specific things - I check things out here first.

I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum:

In June of this year the family owned Kashat Market, on Coolidge Hwy @ around 9 Mile, had an electrical fire that destroyed the market. The fire also destroyed the restaurant next door. I was wondering if anyone knew if the family has opened up somewhere else? It was a great place to shop for Middle Eastern foods and I miss the place.

Thanks -
    Last edited by selfmademax; September-18-10 at 04:17 PM.

I miss that place, too. I did a lot of shopping both there and Frutiasia. Fruitasia has another location at Southfield and 13 mile road, but I haven't heard anything about Kashat. I miss that place!

OH! I am so sorry to here this news. I know that Chaldean store and the restaurant next to it! It had such an old world feel to it. I used to go there alot and just by chance had not been since June doing more of produce shopping elsewhere. It was very packed in there but they had a few of my favorite things...
    Quote Originally Posted by selfmademax View Post
    I have been lurking on this site since moving to Detroit Metro 18 months ago, and have been grateful for all of the information here. Whenever I am looking for some information, or where to go for specific things - I check things out here first.

I hope this is an appropriate question for this forum:

In June of this year the family owned Kashat Market, on Coolidge Hwy @ around 9 Mile, had an electrical fire that destroyed the market. The fire also destroyed the restaurant next door. I was wondering if anyone knew if the family has opened up somewhere else? It was a great place to shop for Middle Eastern foods and I miss the place.

Thanks -

That is a loss. Has anyone tried the Arabic Town Market on Coolidge south of 10 Mile?
    It is about the same size. I keep seeing it and thinking I must stop in there and then when I am getting ready to shop I forget about it.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of middle-eastern foods and cooking them [[as I attempt too). Not as nice as the other store that burned. My favorite ME market is 'Greenland' on Warren and Miller in Dearborn [[the site of the old Apollo Theater).
    Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    That is a loss. Has anyone tried the Arabic Town Market on Coolidge south of 10 Mile?
    It is about the same size. I keep seeing it and thinking I must stop in there and then when I am getting ready to shop I forget about it.

I haven't but I'll try it during our next resupply.

There is a small market on Greenfield north of 12 Mile, next to ACO. Altas is the name, I have been there. While it is small it does have some good things. There is Hanna's Fruit Market on Nine Mile west of Coolidge as well. They don't have a comprehensive selection but what they have is good.

One of the best things I loved about Kashat was their homemade grape leafs. That's also one of the first places you could all of the major pop brands in bottles. I hadn't had a Coke in the bottle in many years and that alone made me a loyal customer.

[quote=Zacha341;182628 My favorite ME market is 'Greenland' on Warren and Miller in Dearborn [[the site of the old Apollo Theater).[/quote]

Must be slipping or young, that was the Camelot. Greenland also has two other locations, one on Warren near Greenfield, and one on Ford and Beech. Nothing out by Oak Park though.