Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dog Trainer and Classes needed

Can anyone recommend a good Dog Trainer and classes? We live in corktown, and we would love go to a group class close by, and also have someone come to our house for some issues that happen only at home. We are looking for someone who is good with rescues, and training adult dogs. We have 2 dogs.

Thanks!

Also, I have a friend who is looking for a dog walker. She lives by Wayne State. She would need someone mid-day most weekdays.

Thanks again!!

I believe there is a doggy daycare in mid-town called Canine to five. I think they also offer dog training classes

Default I'd highly recommend K-9 Safety Consultants on E. McNichols ...

I've taken two large dogs I adopted who were strays _ a bullmastiff and a bordeaux mastiff _ to K9 and they are superior to anything I've seen before. I'd taken Michigan Humane Society Classes and this is a different league. k9 is expensive $500 for the basic classes, which I think were twice a week for three months, but the amount of training and instruction is amazing. You start with two or three private lessons so you are brought up to speed on how to use your collar and leash and the basic commands. You then go into the hour-long group classes, which can range from four dogs to a dozen dogs with breeds from yorkies to pitbulls to mastiff. The changing dog mix is an added distraction for u and your dog to tackle. It's almost like an army drill as you work in a circle and lead your dogs through commands. The basic commands you work are on the sit, stay, down, heel and "owner loyalty," where your dog is only taught to listen to you. The classes get elaborate. At certain point you are expected to put your dog in a sit-stay and leave the room as the trainers _ there can be as many as three _ attempt to get your dog to get out of position. After the basic, you can go to advanced training, where the goal is ur dog is off-leash trained. One thing I though was odd, that before you can register for the class, they require you to pay $30 or so for an evaluation where they see how you work with your dog and give you some basic pointers. Their number is 313-371-4172

500/dog, We can not swing that. I wish, the website makes the program sound great.
    Our main issues are :
    1. behaving when people come to the door
    2. not digging in the yard
    3. coming when called, i guess this should be number 1!!
    4. walking nice on and off the leash

I have been calling trainers, and no one wants to come to detroit!!!!

500/dog, We can not swing that
    How about some DVDs or books from this guy?

http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/products/