Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The Detroit Pride Cheerleaders

http://detnews.com/article/20100916/...ons----sort-of

should the Lion's work on a sanctioned cheerleading team?

Why? Unless it lifts the curse what roll do cheerleaders have? Nothing! They are only eye candy and do nothing for the game. They can take that asshole Gridiron Mike away as well. I mean really? Singing that stupid song even on field goals? Give me a break.

And what is with that new girl with the shrill voice giving away the food? Please can someone tell her to not scream in the mike? It is going to be a loooong season!

Perhaps this does explain why we suck, we never had cheerleaders.
    I recall at the Silverdoom we had high school cheerleaders in each of the 4 corners. Cool for the kids, but it seemed cheesy.

While I think it's a great idea to get the under-aged cheerleaders out of there [[some of the things I've heard over the years ..... yikes!), I would suggest that the cheer team use a different name other than "Pride". Considering this word is commonly used by our fine fellow diverse sexually orientation communities; it'll become a "off-color" joke that would be counter productive to both the community and the cheer team.

Let's suggest something else; and not "motor, gear, manufacturing, etc." related -- that's like soooooo 20th century.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the name "Detroit Pride". It goes well with the Lions...get it? Pride? The use of the word pride goes further than gay pride anyway, such as latino pride, Irish pride, honor-student pride, etc. Then again, they aren't officially part of the Lions organization so it doesn't matter what we think of the name. Anyway, I'll be at the game Sunday and will be on the prowl for these lovely ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Why? Unless it lifts the curse what roll do cheerleaders have? Nothing! They are only eye candy and do nothing for the game. They can take that asshole Gridiron Mike away as well. I mean really? Singing that stupid song even on field goals? Give me a break.!
    Nooo !!

I grew up on Gridiron Heroes thats the best fight song in the pro's
    See this is how it works they play it all the time so that one day at the mall, or at the beach, or at the movie that fight songs plays in your head and you go out and buy some Lions gear.

Quote Originally Posted by yaktown View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the name "Detroit Pride". It goes well with the Lions...get it? Pride? The use of the word pride goes further than gay pride anyway, such as latino pride, Irish pride, honor-student pride, etc. Then again, they aren't officially part of the Lions organization so it doesn't matter what we think of the name. Anyway, I'll be at the game Sunday and will be on the prowl for these lovely ladies.

Yea, you're right. Perhaps it's just my buddies who, after I told them about this, went right for the gay-bashing, locker room humor like I thought. Either way, I'd love to see a professional cheer team out there. It rounds out the whole football game experience.

BTW - have a load of fun. I was planning on going as well, but we've got a baseball make up game at ten in the morning tomorrow. Looks like I'll just have some beer, brauts and burgers at the house.

Well, the bottom line is, they're 0 and 1.

Y'know I don't have any issues with the Lions having a respectable bunch of cheerleaders out there on the field. As it sounds already, these ladies were willing to work within the constructs of not being representatives of the team. Well, how did they do? If they were mindful and respectful, I say make them official. Why not?

I don't recall any cheerleading squad in any of the major sports making a ton of money doing it. And all of them seem to have morality clauses signed so why not let these ladies cheer on our team in their own way? If the previous game was a try-out to see how this squad did, has anyone stepped up and said anything derogatory about this squad?

My only beef with them is their logo. It doesn't exactly look too professional at all. Other than that- let these ladies go cheer our team on! Make them official! Give them the REAL Honolulu Blue & Silver. Let them sport a logo!

I miss The Brow.
    Attachment 7477

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I miss The Brow.
    Attachment 7477
    He's not as attractive as the ladies mentioned in this thread but yes, I miss him too. He was something else!

The Brow was a fan cheerleader not a superfical addition to the event.. He worked the stands with great passion and had eye brows that were a work of art. What a memorable figure.

Sure, why not. Cheerleading does nothing for the Lions, but it is part of football. Most NFL teams have them, and there seem to be a good amount of women that want to do it.