Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Glass Bottle Pepsi in Detroit? Where to buy?

La Colmena [[Honey Bee) market in Mexican town has stopped selling it. Is there another place to buy it in Detroit?

I belive you can buy it at the Sunoco on Mich ave in Wayne, But that don't help if your not near there.

thanks reddog

The FastTrack on Michigan and Beech [[next to Burger King) has it [[singles).

Top Shelf Liquor on Allen Rd. in downtown Allen Park has it, singles.

The party store at Toepher and Mound rd. across from the Dodge plant has Pepsi and coke in tall glass bottles. The coke is labeled in Spanish. But has sugar insted of the corn syrup in it. I hadn't tried the Pepsi yet.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. This thread has been very helpful.

The Sunoco that I mentioned does have it. Bought a bottle on Sunday, I drink Coke for the most part yet this Pepsi "throwback" deal has made be expand my boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual View Post
    La Colmena [[Honey Bee) market in Mexican town has stopped selling it. Is there another place to buy it in Detroit?
    The Zoom Gas Station on Kelly rd. in Harper Woods [[traveling northbound towards Eastland) carries the glass bottles of Pepsi and Coke.

I purchase them every chance I get.

Slightly off topic, but I just tried the new Pepsi Natural with cane sugar in a glass bottle, its very good.

Yeah, I'm pretty excited by this move to sugar...it has renewed my love of soda pop.

We've got the Mexican Cokes and Faygo Classics in bottles at the deli...every single time I open one and serve 'em, it seems people launch back to their childhood. No bigger smiles than a table-full of folks enjoying these new Faygos, one fellow just went out with a sampler case...four of each flavor!

And this is ONLY since Friday...um, yesterday. We're almost due a re-order already.

I really dig finding commonality with everyone I turn onto this new 'movement' in beverages!

We'll be getting the Pepsi 'Throwback' stuff as soon as we can...although I really think it is a stupid marketing name.

IF ONLY Vernors would return to using Stevia, now that it is 'legal' again...then my soda quest will be complete.

Cannot wait for my first authentic Boston Cooler in twenty years...although where will I find the right ice cream?!

I too have gotten to actully enjoy Coke in the glass bottles from Mexico and the Pepsi as well. I know it does go against the "Buy American" deal, But I even like the Pepsi and Mountain Dew throw back.Going back to a non related thread. I know the deal with the whole glass bottles being "too heavy, hard to reuse, etc" reason why they quit selling the Coke,Pepsi,MtnDEW in the 1/2 liter bottles. But why was sugar replaced with the corn syrup in the 1st place. I think it was a bean counting move But I have been known to be wrong.And if I am right why do they still make Coke,Pepsi in glass bottles in other parts of the world? Same as Gm seems to sell more than 3 kinds of Buicks in China and won't sell them here.

High Fructose Corn Syrup enjoyed a combined benefit from a sugar tariff designed to protect in-country sugar growers, THEN some government subsidy encouraging corn growing.

Then, oddly, one of their main natural competitors was declared a drug, the sweetener called Stevia that was the main secret ingredient in our treasured Vernors Ginger Ale.

So HFCS had a wide-open opportunity to call their own pricing outside of demand AND competition, allowing them to always be priced lower than cane sugar. Subsidized by our so-called free-market government!

The labels went from listing sugar as the ingredient, to 'sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup', to merely the latter as the soda makers swallowed whole the lie that it doesn't change the end-product. We have all sorts of empirical testing that proves it does, and NOW an entire marketplace is swaying towards the better alternative.

Unfortunately AFTER HFCS was already poisoning an entire generation or two...sending thousands into adult-onset diabetes...keeping younger bones and muscles from knitting together properly.

I'm not a fan of HFCS. Pretty fucking funny they had to spend huge dollars on that ad campaign on the telly simply trying to defend themselves...that is the most blatant example of corporate capitalism's hypocrisy.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-10-09 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yeah, I'm pretty excited by this move to sugar...it has renewed my love of soda pop.

We've got the Mexican Cokes and Faygo Classics in bottles at the deli...every single time I open one and serve 'em, it seems people launch back to their childhood. No bigger smiles than a table-full of folks enjoying these new Faygos, one fellow just went out with a sampler case...four of each flavor!

And this is ONLY since Friday...um, yesterday. We're almost due a re-order already.

I really dig finding commonality with everyone I turn onto this new 'movement' in beverages!

We'll be getting the Pepsi 'Throwback' stuff as soon as we can...although I really think it is a stupid marketing name.

IF ONLY Vernors would return to using Stevia, now that it is 'legal' again...then my soda quest will be complete.

Cannot wait for my first authentic Boston Cooler in twenty years...although where will I find the right ice cream?!
    Gannon, you know you can find that "right" ice cream at Calder Dairy in Lincoln Park.

Stosh Guest

I just tried that "throwback" Pepsi, although in a plastic bottle. I was quite shocked to say the least, how different it tasted, and a familiar memory of what it once was like. Not sure really if I like it as well as the "new" stuff, but I'm sure that it's got to be better for me in the long run.

Thanks for the info Gannon, I had heard something about the HFCS once before and that it was cheaper the real sugar. Wasn't really aware of how much the government gets it foot into everything. meanwhile I'll enjoy the "real"Coke Pepsi and Faygo while I can.

Default THE DELI sells coke & pepsi in glass

THE DELI
    in Livonia sells Coke and Pepsi in glass bottle
    also orange crush and sterwarts root beer
    soon to get faygo in bottles and A&W 7up Rc Cola in Glass
    now carry faygo in cans Ice Cold!
    Plus they carry bettermade chips Uncle rays and cabana
    20235 Middlebelt road
    livonia mi 48152
    248-442-7827