Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's the Most Interesting Thing that Happened to You Today?

So, what's the most interesting thing that happened to you today?

Bought a lottery ticket. I'll know if its interesting about 7:10pm

What kind of thread is this?!

Show us YOURS, we'll show you ours.

[[unless, of course, nothing interesting happened to you today beyond starting this thread!)
    Last edited by Gannon; September-15-10 at 05:22 PM.

Haha! I'm sorry to say that nothing interesting happened to me today. I just wanted to read some good stories.

Bumped into a lady at the Rosslyn metro station holding up a sign depicting Obama wearing a Hitler mustache with "LaRouche" in big block letters underneath.

I foiled a car burglary attempt.

Received a phone call from an Amish guy offering to provide all labor to shingle 27 squares including the removal of three layers of shingles and replacement with plywood on 12 of those squares on a second foor. Price $2,600. He will also pass on his 5% discount from the lumber yard. I will be providing transportation but, he says, if I am unavailable, he will come in his buggy [[4 miles).

I heard the announcement of the DOJ opening a new Civil Rights office in Detroit.

Got blood drawn prepatory to my annual prostate checkup. Half hour wait at the lab, wasn't bad, I brought along the morning paper to pass the time.

Hey, when you're retired, that's almost the highlight of the week.

I rolled out the trash can, first time in about 4-weeks.

Discovered the chance juxtaposition of these two threads:
    • Somebody Needs to Invent ...
    • Seperate Bedrooms

Saw a cop get ONE cold can of beer, for free, from a beer store and get into an unmarked car and drive off.

D'lady, my day was like yours...nearly until the end. So, the best thing that happened to me YESTERDAY...

My ladyfriend and I went to visit my old blues-and-soul-singing friend Buddy, who enraptured us with some tales about his life writing, arranging and singing at the very beginning of the Motown Era in the city. Then we cruised Boston and Chicago from Linwood to Oakland, me reliving my time there twenty years ago.

Most interesting new data gleaned, I learned that the entire narcotics division of the tenth precinct, along with a few others...including the Commander...were arrested for involvement with drug dealing and other issues related, and that the precinct was actually closed for a short while...back in the late sixties.

Cheers, fun thread.

We have a hospitalized person who is suspected to have measles. There have been no reported cases of measles since 1993 around here. Every medical resident in the region wants to visit the patient's pressurized isolation room because no one under the age of 50 has ever seen measles up-close and personal except for pictures in a textbook. They don't seem to care that the confirmatory lab tests are not back yet. I can't wait to see what will happen if the lab results are positive.
    Last edited by Corn.Bot; September-16-10 at 07:45 AM. Reason: typo

Was watering a few potted plants out in the back yard. I walked past a large bush along the fence, turned to spray some basil and rosemary, looked up and one of my neighbor's out-of-control-breeding cats was sitting on my fence, our eyes locked and we both froze for half a second. Without even thinking about it, I immediately lifted the spray nozzle and blasted him. Saw him a few minutes later in my neighbor's yard and he looked pretty drenched.

I like cats, but I do not like what basically amounts to feral cats in my neighborhood. The resident chipmunks don't like them either.

I was explaining to a colleague my theory about why a pitcher would be directed to throw low and away on a 3-1 count with men at first and third, no outs. He then related to me a story about a kid who went to college with his son [[who played collegiate b-ball). This guy was a two sport athlete and signed with the Yankees, and even played some games with them at third base. So, the guy, being a two sport athlete, decided to try the NFL and, get this, was signed by the Dallas Cowboys as quarterback and took a few snaps. WTF? So the kid probably made three or four hundred thou just by being signed as a prospect. He quit playing at some point. So then I spent 50 percent of the rest of the afternoon researching 90’s era Yankee’s third basemen on the online Baseball Almanac. My colleague could not remember the kids last name, but that is a pretty interesting path o’ life been taken. Low and away on a 3-1 is a result of years worth of accumulated statistics on individual nuances and habits, btw, imo.

Ggores, I bet the college's athletic department would immediately have that guy's name -- something as unique as that is probably a bragging point in that department. Heck, I'm not even that much of a sports fan and I'd be curious to know the guy's name -- sounds like the question to a Final Jeopardy answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Ggores, I bet the college's athletic department would immediately have that guy's name -- something as unique as that is probably a bragging point in that department. Heck, I'm not even that much of a sports fan and I'd be curious to know the guy's name -- sounds like the question to a Final Jeopardy answer.
    "Yo Jay, hey, what school was it your son went to, the one with that kid?"

'Yo, Gg, Michigan State."

"Thanks."

I found a guy who fits all the criteria, but he went to Michigan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Henson

Drew Henson attended U-M, and went to the Tampa Yankees [[single-A affiliate of the NY Yankees) in 1998. Made his major league debut as third baseman for the NY Yankees in 2002, but played only 8 games and announced his retirement from baseball in 2003.

In 2004 he joined the Dallas Cowboys as quarterback, but only played one season before going to NFL Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    I found a guy who fits all the criteria, but he went to Michigan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Henson

Drew Henson attended U-M, and went to the Tampa Yankees [[single-A affiliate of the NY Yankees) in 1998. Made his major league debut as third baseman for the NY Yankees in 2002, but played only 8 games and announced his retirement from baseball in 2003.

In 2004 he joined the Dallas Cowboys as quarterback, but only played one season before going to NFL Europe.
    And this from the almanac, it's gotta be him, I'll confirm later:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=hensodr01

I saw a groundhog/woodchuck out by the street.

My sincerest gratitude goes out to all the Michigan conservationists who have protected all this local wildlife!

Our chipmunk became greedy today and tried to take four peanuts at once. He had to leave one behind because of his full cheek pouches. He hesitated to check that I didn't take back the peanut he left behind.

I didn't. He'll need it for this Winter.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-19-10 at 10:29 PM.

I washed my car obsessively.

Without even thinking about it, I immediately lifted the spray nozzle and blasted him. Saw him a few minutes later in my neighbor's yard and he looked pretty drenched.

I love my cat, but they ain't nuttin' funnier that a wet cat!!! Especially one that didn't expect it.

Me?

Woke up.
    Rolled over.
    Went back to sleep.

Ravine Guest

While I was driving down Grand River Avenue on my way to work, a woman in a Neon pulled out of a liquor store lot and directly into traffic, which is to say: in front of me.
    I tried to brake & swerve so as to avoid her. It didn't work out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast