Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Hikers or Mental Giants???

Three American "hikers" find themselves unexpectedly in Iran, and get their asses in the slammer. Press is all boo-hoo over it.

Two American "hikers" find themselves unexpectedly in North Korea and get their asses in the slammer. Press is all boo-hoo over it.

For cryin' out loud, these 'hikers' gotta be the dumbest bastards I've ever heard of, and I couldn't care less if they stay in the slammers. Unless they really are working for the CIA, and then you can call them double-dumb.

Trust me, their actions weren't accidental.

One of the rites of passage is backpacking across Iran after college to find yourself.

IRAN HIKERS
    A little experience tells me these hikers are not really just happy-go-lucky wanderers who wandered off the path.

I also doubt they knew exactly what they were doing. I think they were conned into gently probe the frontier and to see the sights, take pics and report back. I'm sure they don't even know how they were manipulated into going on the hike in the first place.

NORTH KOREAN HIKER

The Lucy Lui sister thing sounds more like she got close to the border and was nabbed. The North has been doing that since 1952. Nabbing fishermen, farmers, soldiers ... for ransom.

That guy who Carter recently saved just sounds fucking crazy. Jimmy proves - once again - he is the single, best ex-president of all time.

Iran is bordered by Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and Iraq, hardly garden spots. Of all the places to go hiking, those three countries have got to be among the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Jimmy proves - once again - he is the single, best ex-president of all time.

Love you, man. Preach it!

Lol, John, if Carter did nothing else he put Habitat For Humanity on the map. No Jimmy and it might never have gained national attention.

His Carter Center is first rate and more than your usual chicken-choking Presidential Library. Moreover his strength to go against the established thinking is refreshing.

The only downside is that he had to be President to be ex-President.