Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Motown Memorabilia Question - What is this?

I "found" this in the Donovan Building several years ago and I have no idea what it is or what it was used for. It measures about the size of a cd jewel case and appears to be printed in reverse, as if it was used for printing or duplication. It has "City Electro - Detroit, Mich" printed around the border.
    Anyone know what this is?

lilpup Guest

David Redfern, English Music Photographer
    Gilles Petard,.former head of Motown France

Donovan Building housed Motown from 1968 to 1972.

lilpup Guest

maybe a proof for a piece of electroplated memorabilia

Have you considered going over to SDF and asking there? Ralph worked for Motown in the Donovan Building. Maybe he could help.

Could it be an offset plate for printing?

I wish I could read the bottom info. it looks like it might be for a concert flyer or something.
    what bugs me is that "Stevie Wonder" is printed as a positive, everything else a reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Have you considered going over to SDF and asking there? Ralph worked for Motown in the Donovan Building. Maybe he could help.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is SDF and who is Ralph?

It's upside down but not in reverse. The picture is not good, so all I can read is Detroit Mich. OP can probably read it. How about it, Science Fair, what does it say at the bottom?

It says at the bottom the same thing it says at the top and sides - only upside down.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    It has "City Electro - Detroit, Mich" printed around the border.
    In entirity it says "Detroit City Electro, Detroit Mich. 48225".
    Last edited by Brock7; September-14-10 at 12:02 PM.

OK, thanks. I got out my 70s Motor City Guides and didn't find that company. There is a current Motor City Electro you can find on Google, but it doesn't look related.

Thanks for the help! SDF has already started a thread on it!

The thread is in the Motown Forum. SDF was set up by Lowell as a companion site to DetroitYes. Moderator Ralph Terrana owned Tera Shirma recording studio, and worked for Motown in the Donovan Building. If you've never wandered over there, the photo tours of Soulful Detroit musical history as just as interesting as the tours here.

Hey ScienceFair, any other interesting "finds" you can share with us? For as long as that building sat empty, I always wondered what goodies were left behind.

Pop on over to the Motown Museum and give them what you stole.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Pop on over to the Motown Museum and give them what you stole.
    I prefer to use the term "saved." There were three floors of offices filled with artifacts from the former Motown operations. If the people at Motown truly cared about the decaying papers and random junk scattered about, they had plenty of time to remove it in the 25 years after they left before the building was demolished.

I kept some things for my personal collection, mostly just random papers and promotional material. If I wanted to exploit the situation, I would have gone back in numerous times, looked for the best stuff and sold it on ebay. If the Motown Museum wants any of the pieces I now have, I would gladly donate them.

I agree with you, SF. Berry Gordy could care less about Detroit. They left in a hurry and never looked back. Glad that you cared enough to save some memorabilia, even if it is just for your private collection. I'm envious. Mad respect to Motown's Detroit era.