Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

LodgeDodger Guest

Default Question concerning the Turkel house and Usonian design

I'm referring to the Frank Lloyd Wright house on Seven Mile. I know it was constructed of concrete blocks. Would anyone know if any sort of steel reinforcement was used when the blocks were poured/formed? I remember reading the blocks were formed on-site.

Just wondering. Thank you.

Interesting question. I think that house is kind of ugly, but I have never been a big fan of that kind of architecture, so it is not really my thing. I do think it is an interesting house, though. Hope you are doing well.

LodgeDodger Guest

I've always loved that house. I know there were many fixes needed to bring it back, but I'm thankful the owners invested the money and time.

I'm doing well. Thank you. I trust you are, too?

Default Contact and Info Re: Turkel House

Hi. The Turkel House is currently owned by two gents in the flower shop business. I'm sure they would know the answers to your questions. They're biz number is on the net at 248.723.4210 or norm@blossomsbirmingham.com. Hope that helps. It is a fascinating home.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Littlefield St. View Post
    Hi. The Turkel House is currently owned by two gents in the flower shop business. I'm sure they would know the answers to your questions. They're biz number is on the net at 248.723.4210 or norm@blossomsbirmingham.com. Hope that helps. It is a fascinating home.
    Thank you.

I took an AIA walk through the Turkel house in the 70's and/or 80's. The person guiding the tour[[s) said it was reinforced with steel. Who that person was and their intimate knowledge of the house is lost to memory. The previous post suggesting you contact the present owners, who've invested much time and money in restoring it, is the best, most reliable advice. They'd probably be thrilled to answer your questions. And if I was in your shoes, I'd be thrilled to talk to them about their magnificent project. I have great admiration for them and their undertaking. Huge for Detroit, the architectural community, it's fans and FLW enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I've always loved that house. I know there were many fixes needed to bring it back, but I'm thankful the owners invested the money and time.

I'm doing well. Thank you. I trust you are, too?
    I bet you the owners could give some great information. We are doing well. Hopefully we will get to see you next time we are in Michigan.

Owner's blog: http://www.metromodemedia.com/blogs/...msilk2161.aspx

I vaguely remember a documentary that mentions how they casted the concrete blocks, but the link above states that these blocks are woven together with rebar.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post

I vaguely remember a documentary that mentions how they casted the concrete blocks, but the link above states that these blocks are woven together with rebar.
    Perfect. Thank you, Russix.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I took an AIA walk through the Turkel house in the 70's and/or 80's. The person guiding the tour[[s) said it was reinforced with steel. Who that person was and their intimate knowledge of the house is lost to memory. The previous post suggesting you contact the present owners, who've invested much time and money in restoring it, is the best, most reliable advice. They'd probably be thrilled to answer your questions. And if I was in your shoes, I'd be thrilled to talk to them about their magnificent project. I have great admiration for them and their undertaking. Huge for Detroit, the architectural community, it's fans and FLW enthusiasts.
    It might show good form to bring a gift, like a 5 gallon plastic pail, to place under a roof leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post

That's what I recall. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    It might show good form to bring a gift, like a 5 gallon plastic pail, to place under a roof leak.
    Some of the greatest old houses I've been in have had problems such as you described. Most of the owners of those homes, that I've known, were very slightly irritated by the problems because they loved their homes and lifestyles so much. The Fisher Brother's home on Boston Boulevard, next door to the Gordy home, comes to mind. The owners I knew had a $7,000.00 bill for roof repairs. This was in the mid 70's. More than I paid for my new car at the time. They were bummed but determined to fix it properly, so they engaged a craftsman who worked entirely with slate roofs. And what a lifestyle they had. Some of the most memorable parties and events of my lifetime were at that home while they owned it. I should've been paying a cover charge.

I have been to the house quite a few times this year for various events and meetings. Norm and Dale are restoring the home back to the way Wright had designed, but with a few modifications to bring it to current standards and with some modern conveniences. The home is wonderful but I have to say that for me being 6'4 the home has really low ceilings and feels like it was designed for a midget. The other issue I have with the home is that Wright unfortunately went with style over function and the kitchen is very long and very narrow so it is very hard to work in, especially if you have a bunch of people there. The home is certainly unique but not good if you are having a large crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarok1981 View Post
    The home is wonderful but I have to say that for me being 6'4 the home has really low ceilings and feels like it was designed for a midget.
    Wright did this on purpose. I have visited his Oak Park studios and was told that parts of his homes were made small and cramped so that the opened areas seem much more open and larger. I am around your height and also found myself ducking in places where I typically never duck.

Regarding the kitchen? Well kitchens have changed dramatically since Wright's day. Not only are there more appliances, the kitchen is now more of a gathering spot than it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Some of the greatest old houses I've been in have had problems such as you described. Most of the owners of those homes, that I've known, were very slightly irritated by the problems because they loved their homes and lifestyles so much. The Fisher Brother's home on Boston Boulevard, next door to the Gordy home, comes to mind. The owners I knew had a $7,000.00 bill for roof repairs. This was in the mid 70's. More than I paid for my new car at the time. They were bummed but determined to fix it properly, so they engaged a craftsman who worked entirely with slate roofs. And what a lifestyle they had. Some of the most memorable parties and events of my lifetime were at that home while they owned it. I should've been paying a cover charge.
    1-I know the current owner of that house, I'm sure he appreciates the expense taken by the past owner.

The FLW house was given centerfold treatment in the September issue of " Detroit Hour" Magazine, including pictures. Below is a link.

http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detr...ng-a-Landmark/

LodgeDodger Guest

Beautiful.

Also: The Turkel family didn't cast the bricks themselves. They had workers do it on-site.

"The primary medium for the Turkel house is a series of precast concrete blocks held together with steel rods and mortar."
    "Making It Wright," National Trust for Historic Preservation, 11/09/09
    http://www.preservationnation.org/ma...l-detroit.html
    I looooove that house.

FLW always thought about style, not as munch function or maintenance. His buildings are notorious for being expensive to heat and to maintain. But remember during his heyday gas heating was highly affordable and a home could be kept at 80-ish degrees for a few dollars per month. Also, I believe many of his homes were built with steam in-floor heating and concrete floors were his standard.

FLW concerned himself more with the views of the house from within and without. He worked to make them blend in with their natural surroundings and to maximize the view of the outdoors in many of his prairie-style homes.

His Usonian designs were an attempt to develop and mass market smaller affordable homes that middle class Americans could afford.

My favorite FLW quote:

"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his clients to plant vines."

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/a_do...ct/205846.html