Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cass, Mackenzie, Finney among schools slated for demolition starting this fall

Cass Tech - RFP# B10-0790-3
    Sounds like they are serious about tearing the old Cass down this time. According to bid documents, DPS has already done a walk-through with contractors. Demolition was scheduled to begin at the end of August, but dates have been pushed back several times. Bids were due on Sept. 9th.

On a positive note, there are at least a dozen historic artifacts that have are to be preserved, including most plaques, the archways, stone details, etc.
    Jared W. Finney High School - RFP B-10-0717-3
    Complete teardown and rebuild. Bids are due October 13th.
    Mumford High School [[2011) - RFP B-10-0716-3
    Teardown and rebuild. Bids due September 14th.
    Mackenzie PK-8 - RFP B-10-0718-3
    Teardown and rebuild. Demolition to start October 5th.
    Munger PK-8 - RFP B-10-0713-3
    Teardown and rebuild. Demolition scheduled to start October 10th.
    Wilbur Wright High School - RFP-11-0001-2-0-2010/nm
    Wright was supposed to have been torn down five years ago, but nothing ever came of it. The bidding process to tear it down wrapped up in July, but there hasn't been any progress since.
    Naturally, all the dates and locations are subject to change, as DPS and deadlines don't seem to work out. Does anyone with experience dealing with RFP's know how seriously they follow through on these?

I am going to miss my alma mater but it should have been torn down right after the new Cass Tech opened so that they could proceed with their original plans to make a football field and some parking there.Instead,they leave the old one to sit and get vandalized and let scavengers destroy it and the end result is the hulk that sits there now.Granted there are a lot of my fellow Cass Technicians who,like myself,hate to see it go but there are no alternative uses for it and it is time to say good-bye.

Of course I would have loved to see Cass Tech turned into lofts, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen. If they can preserve some of the details that would be great. Warehouse them so they can be used elsewhere.

Well, at least contractors and demolition companies are making a shit-ton of money demolishing and rebuilding schools that were built to last hundreds of years. That's pretty sweet.

Guess I need to go out to get a few more photos of MacKenzie High School before demolition. In my opinion, one of the most beautiful schools in the city, and certainly one of the most architecturally significant. When Bobb announced a re-use for the MacKenzie site, I was hoping that if the entire building was not reused, at least some of the facade would be kept and incorporated into a new building. Guess not.

These old schools were built well. Yes, they have seen much use, neglect, and vandalism. I wonder how long these new schools will last? How quickly will they begin to need major maintenance?

The Doorways on Second should be salvaged like they did with the Packard plant,especially the northern entrance with the Cass Tech School and date on it.Also,some of the interior marble and granite should be salvaged as they are irreplaceable.Also,some of the old clocks that graced the walls should be salvaged too.Maybe even the doorway that let you out onto Vernor Hwy.tooTher was a huge portrait of Blueboy that used to be in the lunchroom up on the 7th floor if I recall correctly should also be kept and prominently displayed,if it isn't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I wonder how long these new schools will last? How quickly will they begin to need major maintenance?
    Just long enough to pay the bank, or 30 years. Buildings that are created to last don't make bankers enough money.

[[Attachment A)
    LIMESTONE ARTIFACTS, HISTORICAL MARKERS, ARTWORK
    The following items have been identified for removal, salvage, and storage off-site. Prior to the completion of the project the Contractor will coordinate with the Owner regarding the final placement of the removed items.

A. 1917 ENTRY ARCH
    B. 1920 ENTRY ARCH [[SIMILAR TO 1917 ARCH / NO STEPS)
    C. ‘A.D. CASS TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL 1920’ LIMESTONE PLAQUE
    D. ‘1917 / 1919 WORLD WAR’ LIMESTONE PLAQUE
    E. ‘TRANSIT’ LIMESTONE PLAQUE
    F. ‘VALVE / GEAR’ LIMESTONE PLAQUE
    G. ‘LEARNING & LABOR’ LIMESTONE PLAQUE #1
    H. ‘LEARNING & LABOR’ LIMESTONE PLAQUE #2
    I. COMMERCE HISTORICAL MARKER
    J. ‘A.D. 1917 CORNERSTONE’
    K. THEATER SEAT PLAQUES
    L. FOUR – PANEL RELIEF SCULPTURE
    M. LEROY FOSTER MURAL
    N. BRICKS [[EXTERIOR FAÇADE BRICKS)

I don't know too much about the aforementioned schools but quite frankly I'd rather see them demo'd than sitting and rotting like Cass Tech has been. At least the truly significant parts are being kept. As for the Wilbur Wright school, that's a shame too but thank god as it was serious blight for Woodbridge. It's shocking how much it has deteriorated since being closed in 2005.

When did they close Finney? I remember passing by there in the 90's when I went to St. Clare of Montefalco. It's always looked like hell in my opinion. Anyone know when construction was completed on it?

Finney was built in the late sixties. School buildings should last more than forty years.
    The black and orange uniforms amused us. We would greet their teams with a loud "Happy Halloween"...

I always thought Wilbur Wright had some potential. Should have been sold for $1 for the first person to come along with money to convert into something usefully taxable.

The city should hire Farrow Group to do the demos on these schools. The city would save a ton a money since this contractor likes working for free, and will make their money selling all the scrap steel like they did with Tiger Stadium.

How pathetic, if it wasn't for those idiots working for free we would still have Tiger Stadium
    Last edited by CLAUDE G; September-13-10 at 10:25 PM.

When did they close Finney? I remember passing by there in the 90's when I went to St. Clare of Montefalco. It's always looked like hell in my opinion. Anyone know when construction was completed on it?
    Finney was listed for closure as part of the 2009 Facility Consolidation and Reinvestment Plan. The earliest part of the building was built in 1928. Not sure about the hideous addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Finney was built in the late sixties. School buildings should last more than forty years.
    The black and orange uniforms amused us. We would greet their teams with a loud "Happy Halloween"...
    Funny....I was going there for summer school in 1965 or '66, and it was not brand spanking new then.

Default Source

What's the source for the RFP's listed in the first post Detroiturbex?

Finney[[at least from Cadieux) looks like typical mid-century architecture. Very ugly IMO.

I always thought Wilbur Wright would make good lofts, especially with it's location in Woodbridge and next to WSU. I hope they save the 'Wilbur Wright' school moniker above the doors.

A real shame about Mackenzie, which was truly a beautiful school building. I'll also miss that rather bizarre shiny sky blue facade of Mumford as I come up Wyoming. Wright, which was also a cool little building, really shouldn't have been left to rot. Finney, on the other hand, always looked too much like the jury-rigged high school that it actually was, with the really ugly huge additions completely obscuring the original small older school building.

And Cass should either have been torn down as originally planned, or pretty quickly sealed and made ready for reuse. What happened there, right in front of everybody who drove through downtown, was truly inexcusable and deeply sad for those of us who spent some of our youth there.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    And Cass should either have been torn down as originally planned, or pretty quickly sealed and made ready for reuse. What happened there, right in front of everybody who drove through downtown, was truly inexcusable and deeply sad for those of us who spent some of our youth there.
    I wholeheartedly agree. It looks like hell and next to the Brewster projects it really doesn't look to well for downtown.

^ What happened, and continues to happen, all over Detroit really is very sad for anyone who grew up in the city anytime during the past century.

As much as I hate to see these historic schools go, I can't see any scenario where they can be saved unless we get several hundred thousand families to move into the city within the next year or two and rich benefactors willing to rehab historic buildings for today's classroom needs. Barring that, we'll have to downsize -- but it will be painful.

Wow, I hate to see the other aspect of Murray-Wright go [[Wilbur Wright) but it needs to go. Along with Cass... the time has 'passed' for ANY reclamation and fires in this kinds of buildings, especially one with as many floors as the old Cass Tech building is serious problem for fire fighters working up that high....
    Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    Finney[[at least from Cadieux) looks like typical mid-century architecture. Very ugly IMO.

I always thought Wilbur Wright would make good lofts, especially with it's location in Woodbridge and next to WSU. I hope they save the 'Wilbur Wright' school moniker above the doors.

The original portion of Finney was an elementary school. The additions were just plain horrible. Went there for Jr and Sr high. Couldn't wait to get out so I doubled up on classes and graduated at 16. Never looked back.

The newer wing had a court yard which the doors were always locked access, then they fenced it in. It really looked and felt like a prison after that.

It's been closed a few years and I am curious where the youth it served are attending school now?

MacKenzie High School? Cass Tech? Noooooooooooooooo! Detroit, you're making me crazy!

Finney.....OK. That one's a disaster. So where's the far east side public HS now?

What about Redford High School? I rode past that rotting behemoth the other day. That and the old eighth precinct across the street are just sitting there neglected.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    What about Redford High School? I rode past that rotting behemoth the other day. That and the old eighth precinct across the street are just sitting there neglected.
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=6580

According to this thread it has been sold, but who knows. Supporters of Mackenzie, Miller and Redford were "given up to two years to develop a plan to re-open their respective school." From the Detroit Public Schools 2007 – 2008 Realignment Plan:

The Redford building will be de-populated for the 2007/2008 school year. The Redford school community has one year to garner sufficient financial resources to implement their proposal.
    Wish I had a copy of the community proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    What's the source for the RFP's listed in the first post Detroiturbex?
    https://www.demandstar.com/ is the outlet through which DPS solicits bids. I'd simply post the PDF's for the sake of properly sourcing, but they "claim" copyright on the documents until after the bid process is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    The newer wing had a court yard which the doors were always locked access, then they fenced it in. It really looked and felt like a prison after that.

It's been closed a few years and I am curious where the youth it served are attending school now?
    This place always creeps me out. I'm assuming the courtyard you're describing is this:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast