Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Price of gasoline in SE Mich on 11 Sept 2001?...

My wife and I were trying to remember what the price of gasoline was on the morning of September 11, 2001 before the attacks. I said it was around $1.20 per gallon. She said it was less than a dollar, may 85 cents.

By that evening gasoline shot up to over $2.00 per gallon. I remember being in west Dearborn that evening and stopping in east Dearborn at Ford Road and Greenfield to check out the street scene on the way home. There was a long line of cars on Greenfield waiting to get some gas.

I played dumb and asked a young guy what the line of cars was about. He said something about the attacks and left it at that. 'Yeah,' I thought. 'But no refineries were hit...' I waited a couple of days to buy gasoline figuring the prices would come down; they did by Friday.

But how much was a gal. that morning? I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    But how much was a gal. that morning? I can't remember.
    Here's a great site to help with your research: http://www.google.com

Google "Russix" and it comes back with "condescending asshole"

To help you out Al Publican unlike Russix it was $1.10 at most gas stations

January 20, 2001, the national average gas price was $1.46 per gallon

I got that from Google, in an article that talks about how much prices went up under Bush than under Clinton.

http://www.dailyfueleconomytip.com/m...soline-prices/

according to this, the national average on September 10, 2001 was 1.511/

http://www.lesjones.com/posts/002732.shtml

We all know in the metro area Detroit, we can find gas from maybe 15 cents below the national average to 25 cents above the national average.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-12-10 at 05:53 PM.

lol Russix. I tried to doing that, except all I got was graphs of prices over the years and no pinpoint onto exact days. I'm surprised I couldn't find something. Can't remember, but old enough to remember going out to Colorado in 2000 and 2001 and gas was .95$, then being surprised when it reached $1.25!

According to the Department of Energy, the average Midwest [[from North Dakota down to Oklahoma and over to Ohio) midgrade retail price on September 10th was $1.691 per gallon, down $0.08/gal from the week before, and it dropped every week after to a low of $1.095/gal the week of December 17th. It didn't rise again to $1.69/gal until February 2003.

My question is why did it shoot up to $3 a gallon at stations near me for 9/11. Is that some sort of commemoration of the 9/11 gouging ? Labor Day is over, summer fuel mix is over, summer driving season is over. Whatup ?

The pipeline leak near Romeo, so it is told.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    My question is why did it shoot up to $3 a gallon at stations near me for 9/11. Is that some sort of commemoration of the 9/11 gouging ? Labor Day is over, summer fuel mix is over, summer driving season is over. Whatup ?
    Enbridge pipeline's shutdown raises oil prices

After Enbridge's Kalamazoo pipeline leak, there was a more recent, lesser Enbridge pipeline leak near Chicago. The EPA ordered that pipeline shut down. I'm thinking it might be related to higher Detroit gas prices.

I haven't heard about any Romeo leak. Oh, that's Romeoville, a suburb of Chicago.

The infrastructure's crumbling. We were warned.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-12-10 at 09:08 PM.

checkraisej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by torbusto View Post
    Google "Russix" and it comes back with "condescending asshole"

To help you out Al Publican unlike Russix it was $1.10 at most gas stations
    This is a much better resource for questions such as this...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gas+prices+on+9%2F11%2F01

Torbusto, I think that was your first post that you didn't mention what you do for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    I wondered why gas really didn't seem to jump when the BP rig sank in the gulf this summer. Did it for you guys in the States?

I think it was $1.85 before September 11th 2001

I do remember around 7pm on September 11th, everyone was getting worried we would have a gas shortage and I ended up filling my truck with Premium from a BP gas station around Harper and 11mile for $2.50 per gallon because they where all out of regular.

I still got gouged on the price that day from that 1 station, and because of that I have never bought gas from that Gas Station ever again.

I do remember that gas used to hover from $.79, $.89, $.99 cents per gallon before the first Iraq war. I remember after the war began it shot up to $1.50 and ended up staying around $1.30 for a long time

But today I paid $2.89 at Meijer and they had a big sign on the pump blaming the increase on the pipeline break.
    Last edited by CLAUDE G; September-13-10 at 03:09 AM.

It was 1.79 for the regualr unleaded in Hawaii and EVERYTHING was much more expensive over there than it is on the mainland....

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    This is a much better resource for questions such as this...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gas+prices+on+9%2F11%2F01

Torbusto, I think that was your first post that you didn't mention what you do for a living.
    no it was my third post that I didn't mention what I do for a living but thanks for trying to keep count with me :-)

Gas stations around me on 9/10/2001 were selling gas for about 1.10-1.12 per gallon. On 9/12/2001, gas was going for 1.41 per gallon. I remember a fellow getting out of his truck on that morning and screaming "A buck forty one!?!?. What the fuck?! We ain't gonna take this shit!" Gas then went up to 2.50 -3.00 later on in the day and I'm sure that dood's head exploded.

In the year or two leading up to 9/11, the gas pipeline break on the west side of the State tested the market. Gas went up to about 1.40-1.60 per gallon, then came back down to 1.10. The funny thing [[/sarc) is that gas prices since 9/11 flex with the price of oil. The trouble is that the gas these stations have in their tanks has already been bought at a lower price [[mostly). There is a coordinated "gouging" that occurs, IMHO. I use COSTCO prices as an empirical metric for my informal hypothesis. Well, that and I've had gas station owners tell me that every morning they "price check the area and set prices accordingly, and that they receive gas price info from their "network".

Fuck these people. The gas stations continue to gouge; even the price of Cigarettes seem to be inflated. It costs about 2.00 less in Traverse City per pack than it does in this area. However, if people pay it, they will charge that price.

9/12/2001 The gas station I usually bought from ran out of gas. He did raise his prices up over $2 gallon. And then decided to just shut down the gas pumps for awhile when inventory ran out, feared for his and employee's safety. Even though they decided to buy gas from him, many customers cursed him, his nationality, etc. He offered to let me fill my tank up with premium for the regular price, my tank was already near full anyway.
    He told me he had no choice but to raise his gas prices, in order to afford to re-fill his tanks. The wholesalers/refiners are the ones that immediately gouged their prices. What choice did a gas station have, but to raise their prices as well ?

Approximately one year prior, gas was selling for 81.9 cents per gallon at the corner of Orchard Lake and Cass Lake Roads. I had just moved from San Francisco to Cass Lake. I was thrilled to pay that price. Gas was 1.35 to 1.50 per gallon in SF when I departed.

I started driving in the summer of 2002, and my guess is gas was somewhere around $1.25-1.50 range then. I hardly remember it being any lower than that, and the cheapest price I can remember of recent time is fall 2008 when gas prices dropped to somewhere around $1.75. The most I remember is being up north 4th of July 2008 and prices being $4.35!!!!

We really are spoiled by cheap oil prices.

Edit: I paid $2.87 at Oakwood and Toledo in Melvindale. I didn't need gas but I was afraid it was going to shoot up.

DC48080 Guest

The cheapest I remember gas being was about $0.65 per gallon [[full serve, that means an attendant pumping it for you) and that included a 1 litter glass bottle of Pepsi with your purchase. And the attendant would always check your oil and radiator water. Man, to be able to fill your tank for only $9.00. I filled up this afternoon for $74 and change. Times change
    Last edited by DC48080; September-13-10 at 09:39 PM.

I remember 22 cents a gallon. That was full service [[I pumped the gas, checked the oil and fluids) and a premium was included - a glass or washcloth with a bucks worth, a set of glasses or towels with a fill up. Silverware was another option for a gift. Austin-Gulf station. Gas jockey was my job during high school and college. I'd hitchhike all the way from Mount Pleasant to downriver to pump gas for $1.50 per hour on weekend's midnight shifts. During high school I had a Beatle that would drive around all weekend for a bucks worth of gas. And PBR was 98 cents for a six pack. So riding around drinking beer with my buddies was a pretty cheap affair.

I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

I don't remember gas being any cheaper than 75 or 85 cents a gallon. My first memories are from the early 1980s recession, when [[I think) gas went over a dollar for the first time. I do remember regular vs. unleaded, and barely remember full service stations.

My memories have gas considerably more expensive than $1.10 in '01 pre-9/11, but I was out of town most of the summer, and ill for a chunk of Winter semester. Then, too, I was living, working, and going to school in the same area, so I might have had to fill up only once every two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I remember 22 cents a gallon. That was full service [[I pumped the gas, checked the oil and fluids) and a premium was included - a glass or washcloth with a bucks worth, a set of glasses or towels with a fill up. Silverware was another option for a gift. Austin-Gulf station. Gas jockey was my job during high school and college. I'd hitchhike all the way from Mount Pleasant to downriver to pump gas for $1.50 per hour on weekend's midnight shifts. During high school I had a Beatle that would drive around all weekend for a bucks worth of gas. And PBR was 98 cents for a six pack. So riding around drinking beer with my buddies was a pretty cheap affair.
    I wish I had the math skills [[or attention span to try) to figure out how much of a person's paycheck went toward gas costs then compared to now.

I don't remember what gas cost in 1972, but my hourly pay was $1.60/hour with which I bought my first car that summer. My payment was $40/month for 3 yrs on a 1970 Ford Maverick.

On second thought, maybe I don't want those levels of earning and spending extrapolated and compared...

Quote Originally Posted by Corn.Bot View Post
    I wish I had the math skills [[or attention span to try) to figure out how much of a person's paycheck went toward gas costs then compared to now.

I don't remember what gas cost in 1972, but my hourly pay was $1.60/hour with which I bought my first car that summer. My payment was $40/month for 3 yrs on a 1970 Ford Maverick.

On second thought, maybe I don't want those levels of earning and spending extrapolated and compared...
    I paid $3,700.00 for my first new car. A 1976 Ford Pinto hatchback with the works: automatic, AM/FM, bucket seats, tinted glass, AIR, blah, blah. I loved it. I suffered no rear end collisions.

my senior year of high school [[2002), i could fill my tank for $13, $9 on a great day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast