Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Dtown?

lilpup Guest

Default Dtown?

Maybe I'm just getting to be an old fart, but this new tv show has taken to called the place "Dtown" - I've never heard this as common usage around here. Is it or is it just more 'Detroit culture' imposed by Hollywood? The occasional 'soda' I can let slide, and even the '187' since it's integrated into the show's identity, but "Dtown" makes my ears bleed.

[[And they supposedly have a writer from Detroit with the show - maybe wasn't there for the pilot episode)

LOL! I don't use myself, rarely if ever hear it. I can't explain why I chose this screen-name, I just did. Don't worry, you're not an old fart.

If you're talking about the ABC farce, I haven't watched it and won't. Ain't worth my time as I knew it would be crap from the start.

I've used the term "D-Town" for about 6 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    I've used the term "D-Town" for about 6 years now.
    Denver must be jealous....

Or Dallas, the Big D

A better name for Detroit would be...

[[Where's my coat?)
    Last edited by Whitehouse; September-11-10 at 09:34 PM.

There is a D-town Coney Island, so it's not like someone just made it up. People use it but not frequently. Mostly suburbanites it seems.

I have heard it resurface from time to time over the decades, but it never attained the currency of the more recent 'the D' or-less-used-now Motown. It seemed to pop up more when Motown was in Motown and may have been a variation of it.

I think folks on the Soulful Detroit forum know all about D-Town:

http://www.seabear.se/D-Town.html

I used D-town a lot when I was in high school, late 90s, early 00s. A lot of cities had similar nicknames, and some still do. [[Pontiac -- Yaktown, Ypsilanti -- Y-Town, Atlanta -- A-Town, Chicago -- Chi-town, etc.)

What's wrong with calling the city by name? Why use slang?

People ask to be taken seriously, then act surprised when they're not after using gibberish and slang.