Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Atwater Brewery

Default Atwater Brewery

Anybody ever eat dinner at the Atwater Brewery? I like and have bought their beer at stores, and since I'll be downtown for the annual birthday outing, I was thinking about trying them out for dinner Saturday. Good? Bad?

I ate there once. I can't remember if the food was good or not... too many Vanilla Java Porters.

Living within walking distance of Atwater, I have eaten many a meal there.

I think the food is great. Unfortunately, better than their beer, and it pains me to say that. But, I think they're more of a restaurant that happens to brew their on beer [[think Traffic Jam and Snug). So, it's ok.

Exactly the kind of fare you'd expect at a brewpub.

I recommend it.

I ate lunch there today, and have eaten there often. I'd say their food is just ok. They have a very basic menu. They have a good variety of beer so you can usually find what you like but I think it's pretty hit or miss. I would recommend Motor City Brewing over Atwater for beer and food. MCB has great pizza.

Ohhh that Vanilla Java Porter...

I work very near Atwater and we never go there for lunch. I've never been there, so take it for what its worth, but my co-workers tell me that the food is only OK, and its relatively expensive. We go to Andrews, the bar just down Joseph Campau from Atwater.

If anyone likes Root Beer, believe it or not, this is the place to go. They brew their own and it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Living within walking distance of Atwater, I have eaten many a meal there.

I think the food is great. Unfortunately, better than their beer, and it pains me to say that. But, I think they're more of a restaurant that happens to brew their on beer [[think Traffic Jam and Snug). So, it's ok.

Exactly the kind of fare you'd expect at a brewpub.

I recommend it.
    Unlike Traffic Jam where the beer is only sold on premise, Atwater bottles their beer and sells it in over 12 states. I think Atwater's beer is outstanding. The Atwater Dunkel took the gold medal at the Great American Beer Fest. I think they're more of a brewery that happens to have pretty good food, too.

9. Default

Absolutley outstanding beer!

Their beer quality has gotten much better over the past year or so [[new brewer, cleaned lines?). Before, the only beer that didn’t have a ton of diacetyl [[tastes like popcorn butter) was the Vanilla Java Porter. Although most of that problem seemed to clear up, last summer’s D Light Kolsch was rife with diacetyl.

Food-wise, I think they’re okay, but nothing outstanding. It’s simple pub-grub. Many other places in Detroit have better food & better beer.

Kraig is right about the root beer. I have been there with my kids and they like it!...I go for the Ale.