Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Highland Towers - Before the Fire

Full gallery of pictures here

A few months ago I saw an opening in the Highland Towers apartment building which was normally well-secured and under police scrutiny. I had a look around, shot a few pictures. Afterward I emailed the HP police department about the opening [[which was closed up a few days later) and decided not to publish the pictures, because it was the sort of location that didn't need any attention drawn to it and I'd read the owners had a plan to renovate it.

Fast-forward to last week: http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4687

Highland Park has lost another architectural jewel.

One of the two inner courtyards.

Main hall and bar

Leading out to the front door.

Kitchen in one of the apartments

Mirrored doors on the elevators.

Appliances in the basement.

Some of the rooms had been squatted in.

Each floor had their own mail boxes.

I've always like the older bigger and somewhat nice/elaborate old apartment buildsing.
    This one looked like a real nice place back in the day.
    Too bad for the loss I wonder if anything would have ever come out of it or was it destined it be another Lee Plaza ?

Were multiple fires set by a fire bug or was it an aimless krakhead ?

If I recall, one of the articles said that they saw someone leaving but didn't catch them. The fire started in three different parts of the building.

What a great place it must have been. Thanks for the pictures.

It looked to be in half-decent shape... what a shame. Kind of laughed at the party scene... looks like the party broke up pretty quick from what they left behind. Strange.

What about the "main hall and bar"? Was it a hotel at one time?

I like those built in cabinets in the kitchen picture.

The news said the arsonist was still lighting fires when the DFD was there, the firemen could not chase him into the neighborhood.

Many thanks for the images. I always drove by that building and marveled at the ornate doorway and wondered what was beyond. Sad and tragic that another nice building is now dust.

Thank you,detroiturbex. The 78s are [[were) intriguing.

It seems like the world we live in today can't appreciate the grace and [[pre-fire, pre abandonment) perminance of the Highland Towers. The buildings of the same age along the riverfront is all we really have left from that era that are occupied and well kept. Chicago has these buildings by the dozens.

Quote Originally Posted by detroiturbex View Post
    "OBAMA STEPS INTO HISTORY"

Yeah, he sure stepped into something, all right.

- Ross in Ottawa

WOW! I almost wish I never saw these. What an incredible interior, I can't imagine how awesome it would have been to live there. But it is confusing....why do some areas look like the place has been abandonned for decades, and others like people legaly living there packed up and took off a couple months ago? How long has it been closed down? Can't be too long with the framed Obama...and the oil painting looks like it just had a damp rag run across it! And they were eating something, looking at the painting...put it down and disappeared?!?!?

Great photos!

Indeed a beautiful building. I think they're gonna have to knock it down though or it's gonna get set on fire again. More fire fighters lives at risk. Sad it had to go like this...
    Quote Originally Posted by downtown_racine View Post
    I've always like the older bigger and somewhat nice/elaborate old apartment buildsing.
    This one looked like a real nice place back in the day.
    Too bad for the loss I wonder if anything would have ever come out of it or was it destined it be another Lee Plaza ?

Were multiple fires set by a fire bug or was it an aimless krakhead ?

Wow! Interesting shots. Apparently the landlord was collecting rent right up thru "lights out" [[when DTE turned it all of due to lack of payments). Looks like some of the tenants left in a hurry! The building was in great disrepair while occupied. Beautiful wood work, detailing and architecture. This was nice living back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by goggomobil View Post
    Thank you,detroiturbex. The 78s are [[were) intriguing.
    You're welcome. Here is a better shot of the records:

Hank Williams, Moon Mullican, Paul Weston, Andrews Sisters...

I'm wondering who made off with the beautiful stained glass that was above the main entrance. It was gone for months before the fire.

What a loss, that wooden area in the first pick with the bar is stunning.

Who was the architect who designed the Highland Towers Apartment building?
    More than three years have past since the fire destroyed much of the building.
    Are there any plans to raze the structure or rebuild it? If the light rail system is extended along Woodward to Eight Mile, properties in Highland Park's two historic districts may become more appealing.

It's sad as hell, but what's even more sad is it's something that's repeated to lesser and greater degrees all over the city. When you see what's happened to the beautiful 1920's /1940's brick housing in Detroit it's enough to make you cry.

By comparison, it would be interesting to look at pictures of the interior of 11 Farrand, which I understand is still in pretty good shape.

Highland Towers was a beautiful building. My grandmother had a friend who lived there, and she took me over to visit a couple of times in the late 50's. If I remember correctly.....keep in mind it was a long time ago.....the building had a receptionist at a front desk who would announce your visit to an apartment by phone.

Designed by Wiedmaier & Gay. Highland Towers 12850 Woodward built in 1932 Highland Park, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Designed by Wiedmaier & Gay. Highland Towers 12850 Woodward built in 1932 Highland Park, MI.
    The one thing that always stood out on this building to me more than anything was the stained glass piece the was over the door that faced Woodward. Back when I was working in the Cass Corridor and would take Woodward home to avoid I-75, I would pass it every day. I miss that piece