Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Buy American Guest

Default Another Drive-By Shooting

Yes, shootings are on the rise under Chief Godbee - after a 25% drop in homicides and a 15% drop in non-fatal shootings under Chief Evans.

But let's look on the bright side: at least Godbee isn't dating a subordinate or appearing in any TV shows. That makes up for it, right?

Buy American Guest

It wouldn't matter if God was the Chief of Police....Detroit is Detroit and the random shootings, drive-bys, robberies, home invasions, illegal electric hook-ups, copper stealing thugs will still do their thing.

You know they've already done Escape from La and NY movies. Maybe they
    can do a reality show called the same thing about Detroit. They wouldn't have to make the place look any worse than it already is.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    It wouldn't matter if God was the Chief of Police....Detroit is Detroit and the random shootings, drive-bys, robberies, home invasions, illegal electric hook-ups, copper stealing thugs will still do their thing.
    There will always be some of those things. The issue is how many.

Effective policing can reduce that number, as was proven by the 25% drop in homicides and 15% drop in non-fatal shootings that we saw under Chief Evans.

You think if Evans was Chief yesterday, those thugs wouldnt have killed those 2?

You think there has already been enough time to determine that Godbee is a worse chief than Evans? After a few weeks. Anyone with a brain knows that that is not enough time to judge anything. Where are your stats that show crime has surged under Godbee anyway? Non-existent. Plus Godbee was Evans guy - it doesnt say much about your beloved Chief if he had Godbee as his Deputy, if Godbee is such a horrible guy like you claim.

Youve truly become a nutjob the past couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    You think if Evans was Chief yesterday, those thugs wouldnt have killed those 2?
    It's hard to point to one specific case and say that it wouldn't have happened if there had been competent leadership at the helm of DPD. However, the overall trend is indisputable.

You think there has already been enough time to determine that Godbee is a worse chief than Evans?
    100 days is the traditional time frame for judging a President and he has an entire nation of 310 million people to govern.

You don't think think half that is sufficient time to judge someone who is only responsible for 1 department in 1 city?

Plus Godbee was Evans guy - it doesnt say much about your beloved Chief if he had Godbee as his Deputy, if Godbee is such a horrible guy like you claim.
    Godbee ran the recruiting section under Evans. He wasn't responsible for making arrests, responding to 9-1-1 calls, or any of the other things that I judge a police chief by.

There's a big difference between being an effective recruiter and being an effective police chief.

Youve truly become a nutjob the past couple of years.
    I guess that means "nutjob" is the new codespeak for "has high school education and reads the newspapers". Thank you.

One month of crime data [[which you still havent provided showing an increase under Godbee) does not prove anything, especially in the City of Detroit. You know this.

Your 100 days remark - he's been in the Chief's chair for less than 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    One month of crime data [[which you still havent provided showing an increase under Godbee) does not prove anything, especially in the City of Detroit. You know this.
    When the stats show a reversal of a year long trend, it's significant.

Homicides and non-fatal shootings all dropped under Evans. They rise under Godbee.

If things eventually change under Godbee, I'll reconsider my opinion.

Your 100 days remark - he's been in the Chief's chair for less than 2 months.
    Whatever. He took office in July. It's now September. That's plenty of time to form an opinion of his work to date.

I don't think guys driving by and shooting people are going to stop because one guy is the chief and the other isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I don't think guys driving by and shooting people are going to stop because one guy is the chief and the other isn't.
    Then why was there a 25% drop in homicides under one chief, but not under the next?

Why was there a 15% drop in non-fatal shootings under one chief, but not under the next?

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Then why was there a 25% drop in homicides under one chief, but not under the next?

Why was there a 15% drop in non-fatal shootings under one chief, but not under the next?
    Can you answer those questions?

What brilliant things was Evans [[who was after all only in the job in the first place because he's a crony of Bing's) doing? I don't think you can just point to numbers in the absence of all the other factors involved [[like summer, for example, or simple coincidence). So what did Evans do that his successor doesn't?

Buy American Guest

It doesn't matter who is chief people, Detroit thugs will continue to do what they do. I think Chief Evans was a no nonsense person who was getting things done...unfortunately, he got a big head and was loving the limelight too much and Bing didn't want him overshadowing him so he got the boot...plus his fling with the Lieutenant.
    Godbee doesn't have the same status as Evans did, he is not a big man and I think that will play a role in his command...he just doesn't exude the same authority that Evans did.

But, again, I say, things in Detroit are the same...crime will continue. Now, with the human resources department wanting to remove the felony question from a City of Detroit application, they will again try to hire people with criminal records to work in City jobs. Detroit tried this once and had nothing but trouble and they just don't learn from their past history. I'm not sure if the question will be removed from Police applications, but I can guarantee you that if it is, and the City, in it's goodness, gives these felons a break and hires them as Police, crime and corruption will run rampant throughout the City. The Cof D has admitted that they can't find qualified people that live in Detroit to fill positions because of felony convictions. They need to recruit qualified people from the suburbs to become policemen/women and I think you will see a turnaround. I don't want to hear that if you don't live in Detroit you don't care about Detroit and can't serve the people....just ask those 7 firefighters who were injured on Friday the 13th....6 out of the 7 don't live within the City limits and they gave their all for Detroit. Incidentally, 4 of them are still in the hospital or in rehab with terrible injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    Can you answer those questions?
    I can take a stab at it.

Evans produced a 400% increase in narcotics seizures during his tenure. He also made taking illegal guns off the streets a much higher priority and improved DPD's response time by 26%.

Fewer guns + fewer drugs + faster police response time = a safer Detroit.

It doesn't matter who is chief people, Detroit thugs will continue to do what they do. I think Chief Evans was a no nonsense person who was getting things done...unfortunately, he got a big head and was loving the limelight too much and Bing didn't want him overshadowing him so he got the boot...plus his fling with the Lieutenant.
    Godbee doesn't have the same status as Evans did, he is not a big man and I think that will play a role in his command...he just doesn't exude the same authority that Evans did.

But, again, I say, things in Detroit are the same...crime will continue. Now, with the human resources department wanting to remove the felony question from a City of Detroit application, they will again try to hire people with criminal records to work in City jobs. Detroit tried this once and had nothing but trouble and they just don't learn from their past history. I'm not sure if the question will be removed from Police applications, but I can guarantee you that if it is, and the City, in it's goodness, gives these felons a break and hires them as Police, crime and corruption will run rampant throughout the City. The Cof D has admitted that they can't find qualified people that live in Detroit to fill positions because of felony convictions. They need to recruit qualified people from the suburbs to become policemen/women and I think you will see a turnaround. I don't want to hear that if you don't live in Detroit you don't care about Detroit and can't serve the people....just ask those 7 firefighters who were injured on Friday the 13th....6 out of the 7 don't live within the City limits and they gave their all for Detroit. Incidentally, 4 of them are still in the hospital or in rehab with terrible injuries.
    Here's a much better idea. Since all the problem people live in Detroit, why don't we move them all out somewhere else and the problem is solved. Detroit would immediately return to the utopia it once was.

It doesn't matter who is chief people, Detroit thugs will continue to do what they do.
    Okay - if who the chief is doesn't matter, why don't we just make it a minimum wage gig and give it to some homeless guy?

Hell, if the police chief doesn't matter, why do we even have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    I can take a stab at it.

Evans produced a 400% increase in narcotics seizures during his tenure. He also made taking illegal guns off the streets a much higher priority and improved DPD's response time by 26%.

Fewer guns + fewer drugs + faster police response time = a safer Detroit.
    Didn't he also initiate the practice of strategically concentrating resources in statisically high crime areas? I hope that common sense idea is still active. Anything else seems ad hoc.

Evans only went after the low-hanging fruit, knowing that it would generate numbers enough to make him look good for his NEXT thing. I'm sure losing his gig with the current thing wasn't in his plans.

I'm fairly certain the books are cooked with all of these numbers anyways...but since Evans used to be married to the previous Chief, and the current guy was part of the overall problem with the Kwhyme mis-administration...it doesn't explain their volatility.

I'd love to see who actually compiled the numbers, and which reports from the street-level were actually counted under which statistical category...without that knowledge, all of this conversation is moot.

I do know one thing, numbers cannot be trusted...you must look beyond to see how they are generated and which are discarded or refiled, and why.

My bet is if we went back to before the FBI was defining these statistics for national compilation, there would be a different skewing of the way reports are written in the field...how various crimes are recorded.

I don't trust the current guy one whit, and didn't with the last two either...if I paid enough attention, there may not have BEEN any reasonable, respectable, and rustworthy Chief's in my lifetime. [[You can put a 't' in there if you want to destroy the alliteration.)

Cheers, anyways. I'm on vacation.

He did indeed initiate such a practice. I don't know if it's still in effect.

Maybe we should just call fnem by his real name Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Fnem, the parrot routine of regurgitating the same numbers over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over doesn't make you look smarter.
    I post the numbers when they seem appropriate.

Some folks say that Chief Godbee hasn't been on the job long enough for anyone to form an opinion.

Other folks say that who the chief of police is doesn't matter.

In my opinion, those numbers refute both arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Maybe we should just call fnem by his real name Warren.
    You guessed it. I am indeed Warren Evans.

All of those times when the name Frank Nemecek [[along with my home phone number, home address, and so on) were posted on one thread or another, were just a diversion.

A diversion several years in the making so I could praise one particular chief of police and criticize another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Evans only went after the low-hanging fruit, knowing that it would generate numbers enough to make him look good for his NEXT thing.
    Low-hanging fruit doesn't get you $17 million in narcotics seizures in under a year.

Also, it would be hard to cook the books too much when Chief Evans kept hold press conferences to show people the guns, drugs, and money that his officers managed to seize.

As for generating numbers to make him look good for his next thing, I believe you very well may be right. In fact, that is probably the real reason why Mayor Bing got rid of him.

Mayor Bing may or may not run for a second term. If he doesn't, there's a lengthy list of people in his administration who will want to the job. They had to know that he would be serious political competition. Therefore, they eliminated him.

Buy American Guest

[quote=Gannon;180651]Evans only went after the low-hanging fruit, knowing that it would generate numbers enough to make him look good for his NEXT thing. I'm sure losing his gig with the current thing wasn't in his plans.
    I'm fairly certain the books are cooked with all of these numbers anyways...but since Evans used to be married to the previous Chief, and the current guy was part of the overall problem with the Kwhyme mis-administration...it doesn't explain their volatility.
    I'd love to see who actually compiled the numbers, and which reports from the street-level were actually counted under which statistical category...without that knowledge, all of this conversation is moot.
    I do know one thing, numbers cannot be trusted...you must look beyond to see how they are generated and which are discarded or refiled, and why.
    My bet is if we went back to before the FBI was defining these statistics for national compilation, there would be a different skewing of the way reports are written in the field...how various crimes are recorded.
    I don't trust the current guy one whit, and didn't with the last two either...if I paid enough attention, there may not have BEEN any reasonable, respectable, and rustworthy Chief's in my lifetime. [[You can put a 't' in there if you want to destroy the alliteration.)[[quote)

In my time, the books were cooked on fire stats, especially during the Devil's Night period. After a while, garage fires were eliminated in the count, then car fires, then garbage fires, until they came up with a count that looked good for the respective mayor....and at that time, it was Young.

[[quote=crumbled pavment) Here's a much better idea. Since all the problem people live in Detroit, why don't we move them all out somewhere else and the problem is solved. Detroit would immediately return to the utopia it once was.[[quote).

You are right about one thing crumbled, all the problems are from people who live in Detroit, I don't think that the gang bangers and murderers all all from "somewhere else" do you?

In my opinion, Detroit needs more police protection and they need good people to do the jobs. Start recruiting some law abiding men and women; and if that means you have to reach out to suburbs, do it....just get them. Bring the Police force up to standards, get qualified people to head the department and not some lackey or cronie who you owe favors and maybe there will be a turnaround. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that Detroit needs manpower and good leadership, and right now, she has none of that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast