Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eminem

Default Eminem

This probably isn't the right crowd to be discussing this with, but is anyone else really excited for Eminem's new album? Below is the trailer for his next music video and latest single 3 AM [[Along with my first attempt at posting a youtube video to the site.)

The new album "Relapse" will be released May 19th.

He will be paired up with The Punisher for an online comic series based in Detroit.

There is also a contest to gain tickets to the record release party here in Detroit, however there is no word on where the party is going to be held.

I am.

I really don't listen to rap music since I don't find it all that impressive but I have every one of Eminem's songs on my iPod. The dude is mega-talented.

I am excited

I've got most of his stuff too. I looking forward to hearing it.

Hell yes I am.

DetroitDad Guest

Sure, why not?

That's just after the Dequindre Cut opens; we'll need some new music to listen to on our walks along the "D Cut".

I'm with the late Dave Dixon:
    When I hear some good rap music, I'll get right on it......

I dont get why all of Eminem's lead singles are always some gimmicky crap like that. His best album was the Marshall Mathers LP which was for the most part devoid of these kind of tracks with the exception of the Real Slim Shady. Cant say I'm too excited until I hear more.

Well, the Prof is [[by decades) the wrong age to listen to the modern music, rap and what have you, so take his opinions with a grain of salt. Still likes to put the 33s on the old turntable and groove to the old Stevie Wonder and so forth. [[Your Prof is white, but not that white.)

But we've been listening to the rhythmic rants of Mr. Mathers from the very beginning, and the young man appears to have an unusual talent and has contributed much to the genre. Recall that when he started trying to get into this, the most recent attempt at the time for a white kid to make it big in the rap world was the astonishingly awful "Vanilla Ice", whose faking of his own background was only a tiny piece of the problem. Vanilla Ice, to put it gently, sucked. In fact, the word "sucked" just called me up and asked me to please not compare it to him. "The Real Slim Shady", gimmicky though it undoubtedly is, runs huge circles around "Ice Ice Baby".

So the fact that Mr. Mathers was able to get records produced, and to get airplay at all, was an accomplishment at that time, and we're glad he's done well for himself. Some of his music has been in turn angry, thoughtful and thought provoking. He is a clever lyricist, and has a good appreciation for the history and development of his own medium. He, and in a different way Linkin Park and Kid Rock, have kept Detroit on the musical map, and we're grateful.

When Reverend Run and Steven Tyler and the boys appeared together on that music video fifteen or twenty years back - and if you don't know what I'm referring to, you missed something big - it set the stage for everything that's come since, and the world is better off for it. Absent that, "Hey Ya" doesn't happen, nobody ever hears of Wyclef, Spearhead doesn't sell records, and on and on.

Bearinabox Guest

What does Linkin Park have to do with Detroit?

Blarf Guest

Didn't Eminem use to work at Gilberts Lodge around 9-mile and Harper? That's the hood yo.

At least he's laughing his way to the bank.

I'm glad to see he has a new album finally but I think he is getting a bit old for this. He should put a band together, then his career may last longer. Don't get me wrong the music is still good and that video is hilarious but...
    Big Sean, Mike Posner, Black Milk... these guys are the current and future of Detroit hip-hop and you can download some of their music free right now on Itunes and their website

DetroitDad Guest

This link arrived in my inbox today;

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=486243329

"3 AM" Video Coming Saturday [[May 2nd) On Cinemax
    Category: Music
    In a first for the network, Cinemax will exclusively debut the latest, never before seen, uncensored music video from rap star Eminem, on Saturday, May 2 at 10pm ET/PT. The music video for “3 a.m.,” the third track to be released from Eminem’s forthcoming album, “Relapse,” was directed by Syndrome.

The “3 a.m.” video will air just prior to Cinemax’s Saturday night pay television premiere of the horror film The Strangers starring Liv Tyler and Scott Speedman, and will continue to air on the network in May.

Blarf Didn't Eminem use to work at Gilberts Lodge around 9-mile and Harper? That's the hood yo.

Yup. I thought it was a big cop hang-out, I hate think of his rhymes about the Food Service Industry

Wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddGynF6Wzxk

Isn't that hospital located in the metro area?
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; May-03-09 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    Embedding disabled by request - what does that mean?
    I guess that means you'll have to follow the link to see the video.

I am very excited. I totally support him! I only wish he would stop the gimmicky stuff, because if he put down some dope lyrics combined with his skills he would blow the rap game out of the water. He is a real one from the D!

Quote Originally Posted by exdetroiter View Post
    I only wish he would stop the gimmicky stuff, D!
    My opinion, but to me it seems as if ALL of [[C)rap music is nothing more than a gimmick...As Wojo used to shout on his sports talk show with Stoney GIMMICK! GIMMICK!

I take ANY kind of music that actually has a melody to it. All [[C)rap is rhythmic cursing, and overpowering bass. I hate it when I'm attempting to listen to music, and someone has to impress me with his large speakers in the back of his car. GO AWAY, PLEASE!!!

Hornist9, not all rap music is rhythmic cursing & overpowering bass. Try listening to the Canadian rap artist K-Os sometime. I’m not a rap music fan in general, but I can’t stop listening to his very thoughtful, clever, melodic music.

As goofy as he can be I dig a few of his songs.
    My username actually came from one of the songs. The One Shot video is cool with its scenes of detroit.
    Have to check out the new stuff.

Oh no doubt the couple of cuts I heard off that album DEFINATELY proves that Em aint no fluke. He coming hard with these cuts here....

So i just got done listening to the whole album. The singles released thus far don't come close to representing the rest of the songs. Sick beats, great lyrics, and funny skits.

diver1369 Guest

Excuse my ignorance, where exactly is the trailer park that Eminem lived in?

The CD is solid. I got it Saturday and listened to the whole thing. I really like "Underground" the last song on the CD. Reminds me of Em during the MMLP days. Which was my favorite CD.

DetroitDad Guest

Check this site out;

http://www.therelapse.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast