Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default HP Model T Plant to become museum

I meant to post this several days ago. Here is the Freep article. I am really excited for this to happen.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010090...odel-T-factory

DC48080 Guest

While it could be interesting if it ever comes to fruition, it is an extreme longshot at best that this will ever happen. So before we get too excited lets look at the facts: The article said that a group has entered an online competition for a $25,000 grant from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. There is no guarantee that they will win the contest and even if they do $25,000 won't do much. They would need to raise many times that amount to even get things started and that would be very difficult to do in the current economy.

Now, bring on the typical DetroitYes rants about how cars are evil..... they and their manufacturers have ruined Detroit..... they represent outmoded thinking..... they ruin the environment..... the car companies conspired to rob Detroit of public transit... they are too much of a suburban concept.... and how we shouldn't build a museum to honor such a pox on our society.

Not a moment too soon. Next stop was to have been a tinderbox....

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Now, bring on the typical DetroitYes rants about how cars are evil..... they and their manufacturers have ruined Detroit..... they represent outmoded thinking..... they ruin the environment..... the car companies conspired to rob Detroit of public transit... they are too much of a suburban concept.... and how we shouldn't build a museum to honor such a pox on our society.
    You've got it all wrong, as usual. There's nothing inherently wrong with cars. I like cars, I'm interested in automotive history, and if they ever make the HP plant into a museum, I'll be the first one in line on opening day [[unless the bus is late, then I'll be second or third) .

The problem with cars is that everyone in metro Detroit is forced to use them for absolutely everything because there is no practical alternative. All we want is some choices, and getting all of us who want choices off the roads should make driving more pleasurable for those who prefer to do so. I'm sorry you find this concept so difficult and confusing that you keep trying to boil the discussion down to THOSE PEOPLE HATE OUR CARS.

Perhaps the Ford Foundation could be persuaded to be a major donor.... since their endowment money originated in large part due to this plant.

In any case, I voted for it.

interesting.. hopefully some museum tourism will get going soon..

DetroitPole Guest

I wish them the best, but $25,000 isn't going to do much if they're starting from essentially scratch. Even if they weren't starting from scratch, $25,000 could pay for maybe a month of operating costs. Fort Wayne is also competing for the money and I voted for them.

Sometimes it is hard enough to get suburban residents to visit Detroit as it is, and we're talking downtown and Midtown. I'm not sure how many people are going to visit poor old Highland Park. Even just logistically, if you take out the fear factor, a lot of people like to make a day of going to an attraction and grabbing a dinner or a drink or some coffee or something in the area. I can say I've never grabbed dinner or a drink in Highland Park. La Dolce Vita is close but that's about it.

It is a valiant effort, it is just too bad there isn't a lot of money to go around these days.

Having been in the structures left on site recently, I doubt 25,000 dollars would do much. However, you still do get a sense of awe and a feeling for the history when you are in the buildings. [[or is that asbestos in the lungs?)

Several other historic locations in metro Detroit are trying to get this money. They include Gray's Opera House in Romeo, Clark Park and Fort Wayne HQ in Detroit and the Foster Farm House in Walled Lake.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-$25-000-grant