Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: A. Hradowsky

Default A. Hradowsky

don't mean to be morbid.... but

does anyone remember the below funeral home, which was located on the west side of the city near livernois and michigan:

A. Hradowsky Funeral Home
    4141 Clippert
    Detroit, MI

the funeral home itself is no longer there but was still around until about the late 70's or 80's [[i think) - looking for any info on it, like about the family that ran it or a picture of the building would be great too!

Any memories out there????

I'm pretty sure most of their clientele will not remember the place.

Contact the Michigan Funeral Directors, Liz Smalley might be able to direct you to someone who can help you. Private Message me if you want. Your best bet would be to plan a trip to Lansing to review their records. They have a newsletter that goes back decades and you can be assured that in one of those newsletters there is a profile on the home in question.

http://www.mfda.org/

the place closed in the mid-1990's and was torn down approx '99.

My dad was buried from Hradowsky funeral home in 1984. It was owned by Andrew and Mary Hradowsky. Andy died when I was in grade school - mid-late 60's. I remember it was April Fool's day. His wife, Mary, ran the funeral home after that. They had 2 children...I think the boy's name was John. Most of the Ukrainians that belonged to St. John's Ukrainian Church [[on Clippert and Edward) just down the street from the funeral home had their funeral service there. You can call St. John's and they would have alot of the info in their files.
    What specifically did you need to know??????

just looking for general information and hopefully a picture. the "west side detroit polish american historical society" is pulling information together for their archives re: west side neighborhood funeral homes and didn't have this one on their radar - was trying to see what i could come up with as all i had was the funeral home's address and phone number, which i took from an old funeral card.

St. John's would have something. They used to advertise on the back of the church bulletin at St. John's...with a picture. On facebook there is a group - The Old St. Andrew's neighborhood 48210...lots of info there. You say the "west side polish american historical society"...did you know some of the Ukes had a little hall on Michigan Ave and they called it "DUPA"...hehehe Detroit Ukrainian People's Association.....

hahaha - i remember it well - however didn't remember about the dupa acronym!!!
    thanks for your help with this and thanks to gnome too for the valuable info as well.