Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 313 area code phone number and Google Voice

Do you wish you could live in Detroit, but can't? Now you can get the next best thing, a 313 area code phone number from Google Voice.

What is it? Google Voice lets you select a phone number, and that number becomes your phone number for voicemail, forwarding calls to other phones, and you can use your pc to call. For now it is a free service.

Sign up with Google and get an email account, then go to google.com/voice. Select a phone number, and choose wisely, grasshopper, because that is the last number you will ever need.

Then set up your voice mail and add your home and cell phones to call forwarding. Tell both of your friends that your new phone number is 313-666-9999 [[or your new number). When they call that number, it will forward the call to your cell and home phones.

So where ever you live, you can get a 313 area code phone number.

Oh great. Now we are going to have a huge issue of how if you don't actually live here you should not have a 313 area code.

Wow, I never thought of it being used like this but okay. FYI, the caller will know you set it up in google voice, so I'm not sure why one would be so inclined to rep area codes.

I set mine up awhile back to use it as a contact number for people who weren't friends and family so I wouldn't have to give out my longtime personal phone number.

You can also select your own area code if you use Magic Jack.

Thank you, Skyl4rk. I 'chose wisely' and got a number that is really easy to remember. Thanks for the tip.

Google Voice does a bunch more than just forwarding... really cool for 'free'.

checkraisej Guest

If you don't live here, you shouldn't have a 313 area code.

Right. So Google can insinuate itself into all of your phone calls and track to whom you talk.

Suckers.

Google does an excellent job of outing those people who are too much cheapskates to preserve their own privacy.
    Last edited by Huggybear; September-08-10 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post

Yeah!!! What about all the rich whities living in Grosse Pointe, posin'/frontin' with a 313 area code???

The rich whites living in Grosse Pointe would much rather have a 248 area code, instead of the classic 313 area code.

Right. So Google can insinuate itself into all of your phone calls and track to whom you talk.

Suckers.

Exactamundo. Never trust the Googler.

I got my google voice 313 number in January. I have GV routed primarily to a Gizmo5 ip phone on my desk then my cell phone[[had to buy a gizmo account off ebay because they weren't doing new signups at the time.). It's really awesome. It's a free phone number, free incoming phone service[[if you your not paying for a cell phone and have an ip phone) and free outgoing if you dial from the computer. Tried to get GV 212 # when I heard those were in big demand but sadly none were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Oh great. Now we are going to have a huge issue of how if you don't actually live here you should not have a 313 area code.
    No kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    I just got one, and now I'm eating a coney at National in Royal Oak and callin' my peeps and tellin' them how Detroit I am and there isn't anything you can do about it.

Oh, and people in Dearborn might disagree with you.

Google voice is not from Detroit.

Kid Rock does not have a 313 number! ;D

You can get a 313 area code for any cell phone anywhere in America. A phone can be programed for any particular area code. My friend uses a 646 [[Manhattan) number even though he has never been there. I've never asked why he does that, but he does.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    The rich whites living in Grosse Pointe would much rather have a 248 area code, instead of the classic 313 area code.
    I don't know too many "rich whites" as you call them in Grosse Pointe who really give a damn what their area code is.

Most people who have a life don't worry about such trivial things.

If I can get my old land line number for Google Voice to tie my two cellphones together, will it still let incoming calls in through the original cell numbers ?
    I've been looking online and can't find this simple issue addressed.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    \
    Yeah, all the rich whites in "Grosse Pointe" [[there's only one, apparently) are always griping that they wish they could share an area code with Hazel Park and Royal Oak Township.

Classic 313 area code...ah, OK.

DetroitPole Guest

Ugh. Another thing we don't need but now we're going to all absolutely need because it exists.

Call me a luddite, but I have 2 phones: 1 cell phone with a phone number for my personal life [[no land line) and a phone on my desk at work for my grown up life. I primarily use them to make phone calls. Lately I've become a texting addict though, but I have no desire to surf the internet[[again, I have two computers, one at work and one at home) on my phone while I poop or make it do other things. I am content with my phone situation and don't need to have google make them do other things while spying on me. I also like them having seperate numbers for obvious reasons.

Yes, they both have 313 area codes

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    If I can get my old land line number for Google Voice to tie my two cellphones together, will it still let incoming calls in through the original cell numbers ?
    I've been looking online and can't find this simple issue addressed.
    If you're asking what I think you're asking, the answer is no, as far as I know. You cannot port an existing number to Google voice. I have been waiting impatiently for them to open that up so I can transfer my personal cell # to GV and then load the app on the business blackberry, so I can stop carrying around two cell phones. I am ok, for now, with Google tracking who I am calling, but am aware of that aspect.

Evar since I got my 313 number, my friends in 248 land won't pick up on my calls!

Oppression!

Where can I get a 248 T shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Where can I get a 248 T shirt?
    http://www.zazzle.com/rep_detroit_24...25706668153722

What's the big deal? I have two 586 phone numbers [[land line and cell) who cares if I picked a 313 number [[which I did since where I live used to be 313)? Should I be pissed if someone from a 313 area code picks a 586 number?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast