Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pieces of Detroit - Now You See Them, Now You Don't

Using Google Street View, take a look at this drive up East Grand Blvd toward St. Paul. First you see the late-era Victorian duplex at approx. 369 EGB....then YOU DON'T. Back up, there it is! Move forward.....gone!

Detroit as U knew it disappearing B4 your eyes!

If anyone else comes across examples of this virtual phenom, please add your link here. I may be the only one, but I think these are a bit jostling and thought provoking. Could that duplex have been saved? Should it have been? I think so. Who decides what stays and what goes?

Also a building going UP in one frame, where before there was nothing, or something different would be fascinating too!

Very interesting, too, in how they edit this film in making street view applications. [[Ever notice the "sun" in your eyes?)

Here is one with the same building, approaching down St. Paul Street: LINK Note the red brick house straight-ahead, offset slightly to the right [[the driveway is straight-ahead). Now take a step forward. Now step back again, or to the left or right.

First Banksy, now David Copperfield? Perhaps it was the young man in the intersection, if you do a 180.

This looks like a striking example of that odd issue that was discussed on here some time ago, where Google's streetview folks apparently took updated shots of, of all places, intersections.

I wonder what happened since I think the very first street-view that Google has for Detroit [[the standard definition one) was taken sometime in 2008. Who knows why they just decided to update intersections. I would like to see them do the whole city in the higher definition camera.

I live right by where that house used to be, I'll have to ask my roommate if he remembers what happened to it. It looks rather intact from the street-view pics.

Quote Originally Posted by 5speedz34 View Post
    It looks rather intact from the street-view pics.
    Occupied, even. There's a car parked in the driveway.

Ah. Understatement. I see. Carry on.

Sorry...I don't know how to make a link not look like that lol How do I make it the way you guys did? Like "blah blah blah this place" and "place" would be the link.
    I'm computarded.....

Anyways....not exactly a mystery why it's gone...but still. It'll be the obvious one straight ahead, just step to the left

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...09624&t=h&z=17

Since google will archive their streetview photography over the years, it's going to be a very interesting historical tool down the road, providing a time line of year by year snapshots of cities changing. Even if it isn't buildings getting demoed, I sometimes see different businesses in older streetviews now replaced by new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Sorry...I don't know how to make a link not look like that lol How do I make it the way you guys did? Like "blah blah blah this place" and "place" would be the link.
    I'm computarded.....
    No prob...Lowell has figured it all out for us in the FAQ, but here's a quickie lesson.

1) Type whatever text you want to turn into a clickable link in your post. 2) Go elsewhere, and highlight the link that you want the reader to be directed to[[in the address bar of the browser), and right click on it. Select COPY from the pull down menu. 3) Go back to the words you first typed in your post and highlight them. 4) Click on the button on the tool bar above with a globe and a chain. 5) Right click on the space provided in the message box that appears and click PASTE, and OK.

That should make your link look more manageable, instead of a bunch of letters & numbers. Have fun.

And back to the topic at hand...

This site was discussed on the old forum. It was largely destroyed by fire. I seem to recall a fireman may have been injured fighting it but may be mixing it up with another site.

I think that house was badly damaged by fire, and the city did a quick demolition because the Grand Prix on Belle Isle was approaching. One fire fighter was injured, but not crtically, when he jumped out of a first-floor window as the room was collapsing.

Gee, people must have mega allergy attacks in the spring/summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    This site was discussed on the old forum. It was largely destroyed by fire. I seem to recall a fireman may have been injured fighting it but may be mixing it up with another site.
    I get a little misty whenever Detroit loses yet another one of its fine old Vic[[torian)s. This Tudor influenced gem had some nice detailing you don't see in modern homes. Sad.