Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Several homes fully-engulfed in flames on Detroit's east side

From Channel 7 News
    Posted: 5:44 PM
    Last Updated: 29 minutes ago

DETROIT [[WXYZ) - Several homes are fully-engulfed in flames in several different locations in Detroit.

On Detroit's east side, four homes are on fire on Moenart near Mound and McNichols. At least seven homes are fully-engulfed near Quinn and Van Dyke.

Multiple homes are on fire on Robinwood Street and Van Dyke, near the fires on Quinn and Van Dyke.

Another set of homes are on fire at 7 Mile and Livernois on Detroit's west side.

Firefighters were also battling an abandoned commercial building near Chene and Hendrie on Detroit's east side.

Police are investigating the fires. They believe there is a possibility that someone is setting the fires in the area.

LodgeDodger Guest

What a shame. God watch over our fire fighters.

The just reported that there are 20 houses on fire in a several block radius just south of 7 Mile near Van Dyke

They believe there is a possibility that someone is setting the fires in the area.

Ya' think?

LodgeDodger Guest

on the east side, there were seven building fires reported near quinn and van dyke. A message on the firenet service read, "no other fire equipment left in the city."

from the detroit news: http://detnews.com/article/20100907/...#ixzz0ytfimcui

. . . . .

Sounds like it's not so much arsonists starting all the fires that are going, but the wind making matters so much worse then usual. The fire on Robinwood started in a garage & took off from there. Several others sounded like wires down started dwelling fires. Almost sounds like Devil's Night 20+ years ago.

I can smell burning house here - near Seven and Hayes.

Saw the smoke driving up the Lodge this evening and thought the firebug hit HP again. Prayers are with the DFD and all affiliated depts. helping, and with the families whose homes and lives are being affected by this.

Just watched the video being put out on WXYZ's website...awesome. Before I learned of the fires, I was watching the Tigers ballgame and they had a clip on how the wind blew the batting cage all over the infield. Wind and fire sure don't make a great combination.

Passed by the fires at Charles and Fenelon on the way home from work. Quite a scene with folks dousing the brush to keep it from spreading. Blowing north up the block. Also, the grass and brush is still burning along the GT line from Jos Campau to Milwaukee. Hopefully the wind will die down.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    They believe there is a possibility that someone is setting the fires in the area.

Ya' think?
    Kind of what I thought. It's rare that fires like these start on accident. Wind can make a difference, though. A farmer around here was burning trash, caught a field on fire, and the smoke caused a 20-car pileup with 33 injuries. So the wind can make it very dangerous.

Buy American Guest

Pray for the firefighters working all of these fires, they'll be working the fires and downed wires all night. We don't need any more firefighters hurt in arson fires after Friday the 13th.

DetroitPole Guest

I smell burning wood here at Cadieux and Warren, though it seems too far from the fires? It is still unnerving. Someone may just have a fire pit.

St. Florian is the patron saint of firefighters if you're interested in enlisting his help.

Here come the clowns...

Default Fires

Cannot remember another time when Suburban departments were called into the city help fight fires since 1967. DFD is completely out of resources and Harper Woods FD and Warren FD are in the city fighting fires. Eastpointe is standing by to be called. There are probably other cities there also but I know of only the above ones so far.
    Incredable.....
    Pray not only for the firefighters but also the citizens that live in the affected areas.

What's the source for the suburban depts in Detroit?
    Just curious.
    Thanks.

Cannot remember another time when Suburban departments were called into the city help fight fires since 1967.

Devil's Night '84 or '85

Buy American Guest

jba....in all my years with the Department, even when devils night was at it's peak, other suburban departments were never called to help Detroit. Where did you get this information if I may ask?

Where did you get this information if I may ask?
    Don't know about tonight, but in the 80s I stood on a few scenes and watched Dearborn, Southfield, East Detroit and one of the GPs working with DFD crews. I used to have some pictures somewhere, but I've lost track of them.

They were assigned to team up with a "X" rig and respond since they weren't familiar with the areas.

They're blaming some of the fires on high winds knocking down tree branches which tookdown power lines and ignited fires.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010090...-Detroit-fires

So were most of these homes occupied at the time of the fire? Any word yet?

If most were vacant I would think the fire could more likely be caused by a person, with squatters hanging around.

Prayers to the firefighters and families who lost their homes, of course.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't know about tonight, but in the 80s I stood on a few scenes and watched Dearborn, Southfield, East Detroit and one of the GPs working with DFD crews. I used to have some pictures somewhere, but I've lost track of them.

They were assigned to team up with a "X" rig and respond since they weren't familiar with the areas.
    I worked in the 80's and none of those departments ever helped Detroit....it may have been the other way around. Detroit never asked suburban departments for help but other departments sometimes asked for help from Detroit and we obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by ConantNHolbrook View Post
    Passed by the fires at Charles and Fenelon on the way home from work. Quite a scene with folks dousing the brush to keep it from spreading. Blowing north up the block. Also, the grass and brush is still burning along the GT line from Jos Campau to Milwaukee. Hopefully the wind will die down.

Yep we made CNN again...

http://www.cnn.com/video/#

Totals:
    80 separate fire locations, many with multiple homes.
    many caused by downed wires, fire dept had responded to 140 downed wires between 8am and 5pm.
    Arson, apparently, was also in play, one in custody on the east side

This is very discouraging. What's firenet?

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelMack View Post
    Totals:
    80 separate fire locations, many with multiple homes.
    Many caused by downed wires, fire dept had responded to 140 downed wires between 8am and 5pm.
    Wow. Just wow. This sh_t is getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelMack View Post
    Arson, apparently, was also in play, one in custody on the east side
    Not surprising. Seems like the perfect night to burn down your house. What could be less suspicious - the whole d__n city is on fire. Quick, everybody get to it.
    Last edited by fryar; September-07-10 at 09:08 PM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast