Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Buy American Guest

Default Why are bodyguards necessary in the D?

I just watched the news this morning and saw Robert Bobb, DPS, get out of a Durango with two bodyguards. He was going to ride a school bus for some more publicity. I am wondering why every person of some importance in Detroit requires a bodyguard. From the Mayor, Clownsil, and now the DPS???
    If Detroit is such a great place to live in...why is all the protection necessary? Who is out to get them all?

Who is out to get them all?

Spouses of whoever they're dallying with?

Bobb, of all people, needs them. If I was Bobb, I'd have at least 2 with me at all public appearances. Have you seen some of the out-of-control folks at meetings?

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Who is out to get them all?

That's certainly one possibility...most of them don't have any scruples and lack integrity and honesty.

Are you kidding?

When Mayor Bing and the "Reverend" Jackson both get their rides stolen within one week, can you imagine what would happen to them if they were on their own?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Especially if it was a dally in the ally

In my humble opinion, if you want people to come back to the city, you have to show that you are not afraid as leaders in the community. If you need protection, it gives the apperance that safety is an issue. Is it? Should I carry when I visit Detroit?
    As for the stolen cars and wheels, something needs to be done....what and how, I have no idea.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    In my humble opinion, if you want people to come back to the city, you have to show that you are not afraid as leaders in the community. If you need protection, it gives the apperance that safety is an issue. Is it? Should I carry when I visit Detroit?
    As for the stolen cars and wheels, something needs to be done....what and how, I have no idea.
    My point exactly. The solution....more police on the streets, more patrol cars with 2 officers in each car. The number of police in the City of Detroit who are guarding the mayor and every clownsil member is absurd. Between salaries and overtime, the budget is off the charts. Use that money wisely and protect the citizens of Detroit.
    The DPS has had so many thieves and corrupt leaders that the monies stolen and spent on high end appliances for some could have put many more officers on the streets.
    Detroit...what are your priorities?

In my humble opinion, if you want people to come back to the city, you have to show that you are not afraid as leaders in the community. If you need protection, it gives the appearance that safety is an issue. Is it?
    At least if you're going to give people body guards, have it be on an exception basis. From way out here, the idea that Bobb in particular needs them sounds possibly reasonable [[even though, let's keep it real, this guy's a school admin).

This issue also relates to my naive thinking that public officials can take the bus like the rest of us joes.
    Should I carry when I visit Detroit?
    You mean you're not still carrying from your visit to Royal Oak this past weekend?

I just key-ding!

Given the amount of status quo in DPS who hate that man's guts, I can see the need for his security.

I think it is crap period! This is nothing but guys thinking they are more than what they are. I also thinks it is a lot about "street cred" bullshit with a bit of getting people they know jobs.

A few years back, Kenneth Burnley was getting death threats and had some confrontations at his house. Since then it's been pretty standard that the DPS executive gets a security detail.

I know that Bobb technically isn't the executive, but he's the de facto executive, and he's also the most controversial figure that DPS has had since the district was first seized by the state. So it makes sense to me that he gets security...

Stosh Guest

Armed security has been a ongoing feature of the DPS superintendent's posse for quite a while. Maybe they should get him a CCW and let him go for it? Or even an open carry? That would be intimidating at the board meetings, for sure.

Oh, Johnlodge

Are you from the planet Mars?
    Do you read the paper or watch TV or ever spend any time in the city?
    Why do people carry spear guns when swimming in shark infested waters?
    How come people wear pads when playing football and hockey?
    It's for protection against likely physical harm. A lot of people feel
    threatened by Bobb and have made their feelings known about how they'd
    like to get rid of him.

Entitlement

gdogslim Guest

Aren't a lot of union people very angry with him? You know how union members can get.

lilpup Guest

Security details for higher level politicians are not unusual in most major cities. Does that mean that most major cities are unliveable?

Buy American Guest

Security details for the Mayor of some cities may not be unusual, but security for clownsil members or school board executives is almost unheard of. Anyone of any significance in Detroit seems to need bodyguards....most people from other cities would think of Detroit as unliveable.

I was talking about this with a friend at lunch.

Kinda makes one wonder why that Obama character has people follow him around wherever he goes.

He should man-up and show people who's really in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Security details for the Mayor of some cities may not be unusual, but security for clownsil members or school board executives is almost unheard of. Anyone of any significance in Detroit seems to need bodyguards....most people from other cities would think of Detroit as unliveable.
    Yes, security details are not standard for municipal administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    Aren't a lot of union people very angry with him? You know how union members can get.
    What, they're going to take a sledgehammer to a netbook?

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post
    I was talking about this with a friend at lunch.

Kinda makes one wonder why that Obama character has people follow him around wherever he goes.

He should man-up and show people who's really in charge.

Yeah I know right.....entitlement at its finest.....the nerve of our CinC...