Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 1st day of school memories

http://www.vimeo.com/channels/ericseals#14741760

Back to school again today and for many parents in Metro Detroit taking their kindergartners to school of the first time is going to be a emotional moment whether they show it or not.

Last week I went out to elementary schools in Detroit, Southfield and Royal Oak and shot a video feature where I had five kindergarten teachers read the poem "The First Day" about those nervous and emotional parents.

What are your back to school memories as a kid or a parent??

Here is the video --> http://www.vimeo.com/channels/ericseals#14741760

The First Day
    by Jamie Solley

I gave you a little wink and smile
    As you entered my room today.

For I know how hard it is to leave
    And know your child must stay.

You've been with him for five years now
    And have been a loving guide,
    But now, alas, the time has come
    To leave him at my side.

Just know that as you drive away
    And tears down your cheeks may flow
    I'll love him as I would my own
    And help him learn and grow.

For as a parent, I too know
    How quickly the years do pass
    And that one day soon it will be my turn
    To take my child to class.

So please put your mind at ease
    And cry those tears no more
    For I will love him and take him in
    When you leave him at my door.

First day a couple kids were building a tower of some sort with building blocks. I got too close and accidently knocked them down. They whined, teacher came over, I got stuck in a corner. Not a good start for me.

Ravine Guest

I remember feeling uncomfortable with being decked out in a long-sleeved white shirt and a tie, and being glad as hell that I had an older brother who would be, except for class-time, accompanying me.
    "Immaculate Heart of Mary" nuns, my ass. We all knew that IHM stood for "I Hate Men."
    And, of course you all know why they are called "nuns."

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I remember feeling uncomfortable with being decked out in a long-sleeved white shirt and a tie, and being glad as hell that I had an older brother who would be, except for class-time, accompanying me.
    "Immaculate Heart of Mary" nuns, my ass. We all knew that IHM stood for "I Hate Men."
    Was that really necessary? I'm not even Catholic and I'm offended.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I laughed out loud at that one--and I'm Catholic. I guess you've got to be there to understand.

That's okay, Ravine, I totally understand. My 'fear and loathing' of the good sisters is still with me too. Fortunately, my grade school didn't have kindergarten, so my experience with nuns didn't start until the ripe old age of 6.
    Having sent my kids to part time pre-school before the kindergarten experience took the edge off of the 'mama drama' but it was still a day that I remember as one of great sadness that my babies were no longer so much babies as 'kids'.

Ravine Guest

Offended by what, Pam?

I'm not offended by what Ravine said but who cares anyway. The reason I started this post about the 1st day of school is to watch
    this video;

http://www.vimeo.com/channels/ericseals#14741760

about the emotions parents feel and talk about your memories as kid or parent.

Ravine I remember as well feeling uncomfortable in "dressy" clothes on the first day of school and every day after that. Just sent my son and daughter off to 6th and 1st grade in nice shorts, new gym shoes and nice polo shirts, so much more comfortable.

I have no idea why they are called nuns [[I'm probably being daft), but I'm sure it's amusing and harmless enough, on the whole.

LodgeDodger Guest

I was geeked for kindergarten! Miss Maxey's room had a sandbox! Mom wouldn't let me play in sandboxes, so this was a super bonus! There were a lot of kids who were crying that morning. I couldn't understand why anyone could cry in a room with such a great sandbox!

To get our attention, Miss Maxey would use tap out three notes on a xylophone. We would have to stop what we were doing, stand up, and cross our arms. That didn't always work for me.

Offended by what, Pam?
    Just another cheap shot at nuns who had a tough job. They seem to be a popular target though, so whatever, carry on.

The public schools "back in the day" had a lot of elderly, spinster teachers named Miss ______ who took out on the boys all of their frustrations on the men who had "missed" them

Noisy, smelly boys were not favorites of older, single women.

That being said, you have to admire the poor and lower middle class Catholic families who indentured their daughters to a life of poverty to enable Catholic children to have a Catholic education. Years ago, secular education had a significant Calvinist flavor.

Just another cheap shot at nuns who had a tough job. They seem to be a popular target though, so whatever, carry on.
    Did you ever have a nun? Yes, they had a tough job, and there were some that were everything that they were intended to be. But then there were others who seemed to take great delight in making little kids cry. Like the one who told a friend of mine that if he didn't say his prayers he would burn for eternity and never see his mother again.
    Or the one who made me kneel in a closet holding several encyclopaedia's at arms length because I talked in class. I was 9.

Ravine Guest

My gratitude to the IHM nuns, for the education they passed to me in grades 1-6.5 [[a little bit of an issue arose, mid-way through 7th grade,) is boundless.
    It was a fucking joke, fer chrissakes.

But, as one can see from Jcole's post, let's not get too carried away with the Saintly Handmaidens of Christ Doing A Tough & Thankless Job theme, either; and, since we're discussing it, while I am never disposed toward blaming any entire group for the behavior of any single [[har!!) one of its members [[although the absence of members may have played into the matter, double-har!!,) I have never quite forgotten being physically accosted, and accused of an act which I did not willfully commit, one morning as I-- not realizing that my safety was at risk-- sleepily scuffled toward the school building.
    I had no problem dealing with numerous playground fistfights & wrestling matches, but it's kinda difficult to act defensively when it's a nun who is attacking you.
    But-- and I cannot state this strongly enough-- they, as a group, were generally outstandingly excellent, and beyond compare, as primary/elementary teachers.
    Last edited by Ravine; September-07-10 at 08:36 AM.

Immaculate Heart of Mary" nuns, my ass. We all knew that IHM stood for "I Hate Men."

Sad to have such little gratitude for lives dedicated to children and for 100 years, the advancement and education of an entire city- which was the IHM mission.
    I taught first grade and I have to tell you that effective professional first grade teachers do not "love them as their own" as the little ditty above written by a sweet mom hopes. Teachers represent the first encounter, especially for many children who lack fathers, of the expectations of the outside world. They kindly and lovingly make demands on children that many, many mothers, who love wholeheartedly, don't make of their babies. You love them with a parental love- but not with a motherly love.

I don't teach any more and I miss the little faces looking up at me and all the laughter. I watched the children of SW Detroit go to school today with both eagerness and trepidation. I miss it.

Stosh Guest

Been through all the horror stories of Catholic school before on this board, so I'm not even gonna get started on that anymore. I will say that the sad thing about all this is that there may have been a whole lot of good nuns, but a whole lot of rotten ones. Just like any teacher, or human for that matter. And I had IHM nuns too, for my entire elementary and HS education.

I don't remember my first day of school at all. I do remember when my children went to school for the first time, and yes, it's a semi-traumatic experience for the parent and child. Some kids, however, thrive on the new experience, others, not so much.

Psychologically, the teaching sisters were the products of a very structured environment in the convents and were kept under strict discipline as novices. They did tend to be strict with the more wild and undisciplined of their charges.

With the old fashioned "maximum habits" they used to wear, they could be pretty intimidating just walking along the street or shopping.

Not being Catholic, I was terrified of them as they reminded me of the wicked witch in Snow White.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Did you ever have a nun? Yes, they had a tough job, and there were some that were everything that they were intended to be. But then there were others who seemed to take great delight in making little kids cry. Like the one who told a friend of mine that if he didn't say his prayers he would burn for eternity and never see his mother again.
    Or the one who made me kneel in a closet holding several encyclopaedia's at arms length because I talked in class. I was 9.
    The only nuns I saw as a kid were on TV. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnhgpVb-u5s

Ravine Guest

Pam, if I had known that...

Oh, never mind.

"Like the one who told a friend of mine that if he didn't say his prayers he would burn for eternity and never see his mother again." Ruined his life I guess.
    But public school teachers never visited any such horrors on kids???

Teaching was women's work - and the nuns and loser women [[as many of you think the unmarried women were) were hugely professional and well-trained because there were few outlets even 40 years ago for women who wanted their lives to contribute to the greater good and use their educations. They weren't, for the most part, doing cutesy, cheap things in the classroom and distributing hugs all around. They had expectations. They didn't smile too much - and it wasn't because they didn't have a man in their life - it was because they felt they were doing serious work.

At my son and daughters school they have a "Tears and Tissues" party for parents in the library after they drop off their kids at kindergarten. Hardly a dry eye in the room for these parents [[even the dads) which makes the video http://www.vimeo.com/channels/ericseals#14741760 and poem all to real

The First Day
    by Jamie Solley

I gave you a little wink and smile
    As you entered my room today.

For I know how hard it is to leave
    And know your child must stay.

You've been with him for five years now
    And have been a loving guide,
    But now, alas, the time has come
    To leave him at my side.

Just know that as you drive away
    And tears down your cheeks may flow
    I'll love him as I would my own
    And help him learn and grow.

For as a parent, I too know
    How quickly the years do pass
    And that one day soon it will be my turn
    To take my child to class.

So please put your mind at ease
    And cry those tears no more
    For I will love him and take him in
    When you leave him at my door.

Back on topic, I remeber well my first day at Burton International Public School in the Cass Corridor. My Dad, along with a Nun from our church and a couple other parents, dressed up like clowns and handed out number 2 pencils and baloons. I was terrified of the unkown, and tried to get out of it by pretending I was sick. No one fell for that and it ended up ok. So thnkfult o have dedicated parents who ran the PTA and made us and our eductation, as well as our friend's educations the number one priority in their lives. I hope to be as commited to my childeren and the community as a whole when the times comes. What a wonderful city and world we would live in if everyone was this commited to the success of future generations.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    "Like the one who told a friend of mine that if he didn't say his prayers he would burn for eternity and never see his mother again." Ruined his life I guess.
    But public school teachers never visited any such horrors on kids??? ...
    How would I know? I had nuns for all but one year of my schooling and that was when I was a senior. BTW, the teachers in that public school were pretty nice; I married one of them later.
    As to the 'ruined his life' comment, his mother pulled him out of catechism because of that, and he doesn't believe in any organized religion to this day. So you decide.

Not being Catholic, I was terrified of them as they reminded me of the wicked witch in Snow White.

LOL! I was not raised with religion even though my family was Episcopal. I do remember being felt up in the haunted house at Wonderland Mall by a boy who attended Catholic Central though.

Kindergarten
    Arno Elementary, Allen Park, MI
    Mrs. Thompson [[an older woman with white hair if I remember correctly)
    I can't remember if I cried or not. I don't think so. And if I did I'm pretty sure I got over it quick. Kinda wished I had one of those mom's that saved everything like your first paper from kindergarten...lol. I do remember that smell and feel of fingerpaint. Another thing that THANK GOD I do remember is walking to school and a man in a woody station wagon pulling up and telling me that my mother sent him to pick me up for some reason. That's when "Don't talk to Strangers" kicked in and I ran like a little bunny being chased by a pitbull. Even thinking about that gives me the heebee jeebees today.

Sorry, I took Ravine's post lightly as was intended.

Kindergarten? Good lord. I was marched down Sorrento to West Chicago and made to stand in the line at Parker elementary. It was three months before Pearl Harbor. The room we entered had benches along the walls and windows, and I picked out a spot next to a little girl who looked pleasant. About an hour into that first day, she promptly threw up.

The next day, I remember thinking that I better sit on a spot opposite where I was on that first day, so I sat by the windows this time next to a pleasant looking little girl. About an hour later she threw up.

I never did like school very much.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast