Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default cregar's pickwick house/baker's keyboard lounge

I'm new to DetroitYES so forgive me if I'm in the wrong section, but here goes.

I grew up in Detroit in the 50s and 60s [[Redford High School -56 - and U. of D. - 61). I did see some comments on Cregar's Pickwick House located at Grand River and Outer Drive which I frequented in the early to mid fifties. Indeed it was a big Rosedale Park hangout with a decent menu. Does anyone else remember an item on their menu called a swankie frankie? It was a weiner sliced down the middle with cheese in it [[I think). It was delicious!

Baker's Keyboard Lounge on Livernois Ave, right? In the early 60s [[after I was 21), I remember seeing - and hearing - June Christy at Baker's. There were all kinds of jazz clubs around Detroit in those days including one I recall on Seven Mile Road near Greenfield [[or Southfield). Usually featured a piano player and/or guitar player and a female vocalist. Very soothing and relaxing. Anyone remember the name of that place?

Paul_RHS56

Have you searched the board? You'll find several previous threads.

Swankie Frankie was a Gazhekibiinoojinhs [[Babycat) favorite. Don't forget it was wrapped in bacon!

The Clock restaurant on 8 and Gratiot had the best Swankie Frankie in the world. It was a 1/4 lb hot dog sliced, grilled and then filled with cheese and wrapped in bacon and broiled.
    And I wonder why I have weight issues now.

Boesky's on Livernois had the best swanky franky of my recollection - oh wait - it was on 7 mile near wyoming. Sorry, it was only 50 years ago.....

Darby's was at Seven & Wyoming and I don't remember them serving bacon, but could be. Boesky's was at Greenfield and Northwestern Highway in the 60's.