Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dally in the Alley poster.

Just thought I post this pic of the new poster.
    Thick stock. Thats a pair of sunglasses at the bottom for a size ref.
    Last edited by Django; September-03-10 at 07:32 PM.

LodgeDodger Guest

I like it. I've liked most of the Dally posters.

Yeah, it's well designed and captures the concept and theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    I like it. I've liked most of the Dally posters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, it's well designed and captures the concept and theme.
    They [[?) should have put the year on the poster.
    I always made sure we had the year on the poster
    when I had any say in the decisions made for the
    'Positively Fourth Street Fair'.
    [[R.I.P.)
    I've always lamented that we didn't record all the bands that
    played the 4th St.Fair.
    What very cool 'Best Of ' Albums/CD's we could have put out there.
    Many good, and some great bands played our Fair.
    Oh well.

Duh, I missed that. Yeah the year date is crucial for a potential 'keep sake' poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFreddy View Post
    They [[?) should have put the year on the poster.
    I always made sure we had the year on the poster
    when I had any say in the decisions made for the
    'Positively Fourth Street Fair'.
    [[R.I.P.)
    I've always lamented that we didn't record all the bands that
    played the 4th St.Fair.
    What very cool 'Best Of ' Albums/CD's we could have put out there.
    Many good, and some great bands played our Fair.
    Oh well.

Very nice.

How about a shout out for the veteran poster artist Carl Lundgren. He posted a sneak preview of this poster on facebook a while back. It reminds me of a fast-forwarded 2010 version of the '69 Saugatuck Pops Festival poster, one of the very few that I have, and have always enjoyed.

I didn't even notice the year was missing until you brought it up JF, I agree that it should have been on it.

It might not have the year noted but it does say the "33 Annual [[shouldn't it be the "33rd Annual"?) Dally in the Alley" on the poster. Personally I like seeing the date on there as well but it's a minor quibble for me. Nice looking piece of art for a great event.

Lookin' forward to the Dally, next week. Lookin' back, with fondness, at past Positively Fourth Street Fairs...

I love the poster!

However, while I would hope that most people would know where Dally was, it might be wise to include the event location on the poster. I was talking about the poster to a stranger a couple of days ago when she saw it at a shop, and she thought it was on Cass, because it says "North Cass." In the future, adding "on Forest and Second in Detroit" but be ideal.

Just a small detail though, as I think most folks already know where it is, and the poster does look fantastic.

What is this festival all about? They don't advertise it at Wayne State.

Started out as a small poarch party 33 years ago on Forest I believe between 2nd and 3rd. Its grown into what it is today with 4 music stages, kids fair and parade, vendors of all types. We don't use any sponsors such as Budweiser, but John at Motor City supplies the beer. Its moved several times over the years but has been on Forest and in the ally behind Forest for years.
    Its free to get in and the beer prices are actually pretty reasonable as compared with any other festival.

Default Who does the Dally posters?

I'd like to find out how I can assist or maybe create a few designs myself...

Did the dally happen or are they using Sunday as the rain day?

What a drag! Sat at the Bronx Bar, hoping for the rain to stop. It didn't. Put on the rain poncho, and had a GhettoBlaster. Ran into three old, wet, friends.

Next year will be better, we hope. Colleen, wisely, stayed home!

What are you talking about, the rain stopped at 7. The crowd was not as big as last year but still a good time none the less, at least for those not afraid to step in a puddle or two.

Got a little damp around 4ish, but it was fine for me. I'm not much of a fan of crowded places, so the rain scattered those afraid of melting. Saw django, Sumas, RonJ and the man eating couch ... had a shish kabob, listened to a little music, bought a nice wallet made from ducttape and a Better Made chip bag.

I imagine the shay butter and crappy sunglass salesmen saw a little less business. Good.

That's 'shea' butter g! LOL! Hah. I wanted to go and look at the vendors ware good and bad but the rain squelched my motivation so I did not.... I used to go every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Got a little damp around 4ish, but it was fine for me. I'm not much of a fan of crowded places, so the rain scattered those afraid of melting. Saw django, Sumas, RonJ and the man eating couch ... had a shish kabob, listened to a little music, bought a nice wallet made from ducttape and a Better Made chip bag.

I imagine the shay butter and crappy sunglass salesmen saw a little less business. Good.

quote: "what are you talking about, the rain stopped at7..."
    Bad timing. I left at 6:30! Didn't look like it was stopping.
    Went back today, had a good time...

You know, I went on the "rain date" and thought it was like the Dally of old. Maybe not vendor-wise [["Damn you, Shea Butter!") but at least in intensity and volume. Nice to see the alley taken over, weird spoken word and stuff. And nice to meet up with a few friends -- some old, some brand-new -- and even Django! The drink couch was nice. As for Uncle Jerrold ...

How about letting the 1960's go already? Can the poster not reflect the times? Cripes, nostalgia is getting rather old itself.

Man was I whipped during the first Dally on Saturday, I could barely keep my eyes open but we did have the martinis on a matching couch with sofa chair. Looked like red velvet on the couch, can anyone confirm? I had been working from 3 pm the day before [[Fri)and kept going till it was all cleaned up 4 am sunday, uggh! Its always worth it though. We had a great crew of ppl running the show this year.

Great time all around but I had a better time second Dally on Sunday. Much more intimate and felt like what the original Dallys probably were like.

The only problem I know of was a drunk kid just itchin to start a fight w someone, he took up residence on the couch and I might have jumped in and gotten rid of the problem but I figured Wayne State Cops would no doubt do a better job.

I swear that this year the women were more tantalizing than any year I can remember. It might have been the wet factor with the rain and all, Im not sure. To the ladies who showed up, Thank you.

Im trying to get some pics up I took, If anyone has some please post em.

Man was I whipped during the first Dally on Saturday, I could barely keep my eyes open but we did have the martinis on a matching couch with sofa chair. Looked like red velvet on the couch, can anyone confirm? I had been working from 3 pm the day before [[Fri)and kept going till it was all cleaned up 4 am sunday, uggh! Its always worth it though. We had a great crew of ppl running the show this year.

Great time all around but I had a better time second Dally on Sunday. Much more intimate and felt like what the original Dallys probably were like.

The only problem I know of was a drunk kid just itchin to start a fight w someone, he took up residence on the couch and I might have jumped in and gotten rid of the problem but I figured Wayne State Cops would no doubt do a better job..

I swear that this year the women were more tantalizing than any year I can remember. It might have been the wet factor with the rain and all, Im not sure. To the ladies who showed up, Thank you.

Im trying to get some pics up I took, If anyone has some please post em.

I went to the Saturday version of the Dally and due to the rain there was diffinitely a whole lot less people.I have been going since around 79 or 80 and I had never seen it with a sparse crowd like Saturday.A little rain should NEVER stop anyone from going.The only thing was there were so many people with bumbershoots[[umbrellas)that it was hard to see the few bands that did play.I didn't have a problem going to the food or beer booths due to the lack of people and that was a good thing,although the vendors weren't all that enthused about the lack of clientele.That is the chance you take and you have to take the bitter with the sweet.All in all a good time was had by all who attended,myself included.My sons went on Sunday and were very happy and said that it was like the days when I took them when they were younger.