Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Stephen Hawkings "God did not create the universe."

Has written a new book called 'The Grand Design."

lol... he's just pissin the religious folks right off.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...rse/index.html

LONDON, England [[CNN) -- God did not create the universe, world-famous physicist Stephen Hawking argues in a new book that aims to banish a divine creator from physics.
    Hawking says in his book "The Grand Design" that, given the existence of gravity, "the universe can and will create itself from nothing," according to an excerpt published Thursday in The Times of London.

The world you see is an illusion of a world. God did not create it, for what He creates must be eternal as Himself. Yet there is nothing in the world you see that will endure forever. Some things will last in time a little while longer than others [e.g., the greater cosmos, as we shall see below in a passage from the text). But the time will come when all things visible will have an end [[C-4. 1). A Course In Miracles

lol... he's just pissin the religious folks right off.
    Or wake them up.

Religious Leaders Fire Back

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe....html?hpt=Sbin

and now, here we are... 6,866,503,865 of us as of 16:39 UTC [[EST+5) Sep 03, 2010. Winners of the sperm race, each in our own little know-it-all self-centered universes. Glued to this insane world of duality by the forces of gravity. Puppets of media, materialism, error, and false perception; continously searching for something in this world of idols to fill some empty void. Judging everything we see when we don't have .000000000001 of the knowledge to judge anything. Born with eyes that really don't see, ears that really don't hear. Victims of circumstance, brothers and sisters of blame...thinking we are special, better, smarter, more informed than the next guy. Some folks need religion to make it thru the day, just like other folks need drugs, sex, relationships, alcohol, food, pills, shopping, or some other mindless distraction to make sense of this....
    Last edited by MizMotown; September-03-10 at 11:59 AM.

MizMotown: God did not create it, for what He creates must be eternal as
    as Himself.

Why? Why didn't Jesus bring this up when he supposedly was teaching? It can't be because he was afraid of pissing off the High Priest and King.

God did not create the world as it is today. We are creating it. We have created it. God may have played a part in the form and laid down His laws to govern it such as time and space, etc... Seems He definitely is letting us have a hand in destroying it if he created it or not.

How can one person be so sure that there wasn't a creation then a evolution in thought and reality... science and creation can merge...an example is rough but worth repeating...

if we can trace our DNA to 5000 people that share similar characteristics ..these people could have migrated taking with them a creation story...it evolved at the times to satisfy primitive intellect and cognitive understanding ...but is very similar to anthropological understandings.

but then again it could be like the splitting of a village .... just like biblical tails... we all were near each other...moved on and evolved into the cultures that we know today...one group copted the story and made it suit their needs...but all this doesn't prove either theory to a statistically relevant number... until I can have proof at .001 that we didn't come from a higher power I am going to believe in one...and use the Jesus adage as my guiding principles.... but hey that's just me...

Well, God dealt Dr. Hawkings a lousy hand with his ALS, so perhaps he's earned the right to be pissed off. [[The "he" being Stephen, not God. Everyone knows God is female.)

Curious the article didn't mention his fondness for the anthropic principle.

Unrelated, but possibly interesting to those who read this thread: This month's Discover magazine has an article about fossil evidence revealing that the human brain is actually smaller than it was 20,000 years ago by about the volume of a tennis ball. One theory [[idiocracy?) is that in today's organized societies, individuals don't need to be as sharp-witted as our more isolated ancestors. Good read.

.these people could have migrated taking with them a creation story...it evolved at the times to satisfy primitive intellect and cognitive understanding
    And that's what it is. A story.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Religious Leaders Fire Back

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe....html?hpt=Sbin

and now, here we are... 6,866,503,865 of us as of 16:39 UTC [[EST+5) Sep 03, 2010. Winners of the sperm race, each in our own little know-it-all self-centered universes. Glued to this insane world of duality by the forces of gravity. Puppets of media, materialism, error, and false perception; continously searching for something in this world of idols to fill some empty void. Judging everything we see when we don't have .000000000001 of the knowledge to judge anything. Born with eyes that really don't see, ears that really don't hear. Victims of circumstance, brothers and sisters of blame...thinking we are special, better, smarter, more informed than the next guy. Some folks need religion to make it thru the day, just like other folks need drugs, sex, relationships, alcohol, food, pills, shopping, or some other mindless distraction to make sense of this....

What's even more disturbing is the media's version of "fair and balanced", where it's legitimate to take the scholarly opinion of someone who studies a particular topic for a living...

...and then in the spirit of "fairness", invoke the unlearned opinion of someone who disagrees "just because".

Then to "balance", give the opinion of the scholar and the idiot equal weight, regardless of facts, evidence, or proof.

littlebuddy Guest

I'm glad Stephen Hawkins Thinks he has got it all down pat about what God did and didn't or couldn't do. If Hawkins was so smart, maybe he could figure out a way out of his wheelchair.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    I'm glad Stephen Hawkins Thinks he has got it all down pat about what God did and didn't or couldn't do. If Hawkins was so smart, maybe he could figure out a way out of his wheelchair.
    Are you refuting Hawking's research on physics based on your OPINION???

Because of the nature of my business I have had a long-time interest in the earth sciences. The study of the earth and its formation necessarily requires some smattering of knowledge of the formation of the universe. The theory du jour is of course the big bang theory. That assumes that all matter in the universe at one time was compressed into an object the size of a pea. Then, allegedly spontaneously, the "pea" exploded and the universe as we know it was formed in less than a second, and has been expending since that moment of creation. The theory is that at some point it will stop expanding and will commence to contract back into that pea sized space. Hawking believes this,

[[To me it sounds like the musings of some deranged Jim Jones type preacher.)

Now if you believe in the big bang as Hawking and most scientists apparently do, who created that pea sized ball of energy and matter? What caused it to go boom? Is this the first time it's happened? Of the millions of heavenly bodies created as a result of the big bang, is Earth the only one with intelligent life? [[If you believe that, you'd have to believe in God and that God created this whole thing for to believe otherwise would be unthinkable. A random occurance that would defy all the laws of mathematics.)

I admire Hawkings for several reasons. But, perhaps he should have read the Thomistic proofs of God's existence. Call God what you wish. First cause, uncaused might be a good start.

The theory du jour is of course the big bang theory.
    Not so much any more since it really doesn't make sense. String theory or Membrane theory is far more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Not so much any more since it really doesn't make sense.
    Doesn't make sense TO YOU? Or doesn't make sense to the physicists that study this for their career?

Show your work.

String theory? I thought they taught that at Julliard. Frankly, I agree with you that the big bang theory makes no sense. I have to go with Newton, who was a creationist. [[Actually, creationism doesn't conflict, in my opinion, with any of the scientific theories, whatever they may be on any given day, as long as there's some explanation of the first cause -- such as who created the pea.)

There is an excerpt from Hawking's book in today's Wall Street Journal, The link is too long - thus obscured - to print. Sorry. Go to www.wsj.com if interested; it's the third article from the top, and page W3 of the print edition.

Or doesn't make sense to the physicists that study this for their career?
    Doesn't make sense to a lot of them any more either, hence the new theories.

And of course this brings back the old chicken/egg debate, did God create Man, or did Man create God?

I didn't realize there was a debate over who created whom. [[I'm aware, of course, of Voltaire's comment that "If there were no God, it would have been necessary for man to invent him.") But, I don't see the analogy to this issue.

[Voltaire also said that "Common sense is not so common." I'd say he must have read some of the political and economic discussions on this forum but for the fact he's been dead for decades.]

For the life of me, I will never understand why so many people think that God and science cannot mix.

DetroitPole Guest

Reading that article about with the retort from the Brit religious folks, they all made fairly eloquent points except for the Muslim cleric. Sorry, that is one religion I'm never going to be down with. I'm a liberal but geez, what a shitty religion.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Doesn't make sense TO YOU? Or doesn't make sense to the physicists that study this for their career?

Show your work.
    GP, I believe it's actually moved on to Steady State Theory, in which the universe expands at a constant rate and has since its beginning

Yes, the whole debate is a bit of a waste if you ask me. The proof of the big bang is so faint that some believe in it only because they have "faith" in the scientific community.Who's to prove that some supreme being didn't start the whole Universe and Evolution in motion? And if our existence is pure co-incidence and there is no life after death, what a waste of effort to learn all of the lessons in life, just to die and have it all be for naught!

in which the universe expands at a constant rate and has since its beginning
    I don't even buy that. String/Membrane or whatever you call it suggests movement in a wave motion in different directions caused as the strings/membranes/dimensions bump each other periodically. I don't recall that theory discussing a specific beginning or end of the universe.

And if our existence is pure co-incidence and there is no life after death, what a waste of effort to learn all of the lessons in life, just to die and have it all be for naught!
    Humans are organic beings. Like all other organic entities, they live, they die. Simple as that.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast