Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Moving from Royal Oak to Highland Park

To: Cedarhurst and Woodward, 48203

Only 10 minutes to WSU.
    Very inexpensive house, modest repair work required.

I will post periodically, hopefully this makes for some great before and after photographs.

There are some nice Craftsman bungalows on that block. It looks good in Street View. Good luck with your move and your WSU endeavors.

Looks to me like you are moving from Royal Oak to Detroit.

Awesome! Welcome to the D and H.

Good stuff. Keep us updated. This could be very interesting.

That's actually in Detroit, since it's north of Six Mile, but not far from HP. I lived in that area briefly many years ago and always liked that neighborhood, with its eclectic mix of housing styles and sizes, with some nice looking older apartment buildings mixed in. Parts of that area have certainly suffered in recent years though, and there are "good" blocks and "bad" blocks [[and the horror that is Robinwood). From Google Streetview it looks like your block is one of the "good" ones. That area certainly needs good, dedicated people to go along with the ones who are already there and help keep things moving in the right direction. Best of luck with all of it.

Yep, that is Detroit, NOT HP... I took a drive down both Cedarhurst and that thing known as Robinwood. Difference is night and day... Homes on Cedarhurst are very nice indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That's actually in Detroit, since it's north of Six Mile, but not far from HP. I lived in that area briefly many years ago and always liked that neighborhood, with its eclectic mix of housing styles and sizes, with some nice looking older apartment buildings mixed in. Parts of that area have certainly suffered in recent years though, and there are "good" blocks and "bad" blocks [[and the horror that is Robinwood). From Google Streetview it looks like your block is one of the "good" ones. That area certainly needs good, dedicated people to go along with the ones who are already there and help keep things moving in the right direction. Best of luck with all of it.

The listing and the paperwork so far has listed Highland Park.

The map on the HP website shows the city boundary at 6 Mile though.

I have noticed that realtors tend to overgeneralize zip codes in their paperwork. I live in Detroit, the first street north of the border with Hamtramck. I often get mail sent to "My Address, Hamtramck, MI 48212." I have noticed the same thing with Lathrup Village/Southfield 48076 and Farmington/Farmington Hills 48336. I am suspecting that you have a 48203 zip code and it has been generalized to Highland Park, I have seen this on the multilist before. If you are indeed in Detroit, you will have to sign an affidavit of compliance and repair. If this is not a foreclosure, do everything you can to get the seller to complete the ACR repairs beofre you close, it will make it much easier to move into your new home if you do not have to arrange multiple [[asinine, IMHO) inspections with multiple, slow responding members of the building and safety department.

Welcome!

An address may be in one municipality, within the service area of a Post Office located in another municipality, and within a third school district, at least in theory. It sounds like that may be the case here.

Detroit or HP, what difference does it make? A smart move and a quick commute to Wayne. Welcome.

Congrats and thanks for investing in the city!

If there is a block club on that street, to to it and meet some great people. It's great to meet your neighbors so you can support each other in various ways.

On the far east side of Detroit, everything east of Balduck Park [[including St. John Hospital) has a Grosse Pointe mailing address... since they are part of the 48236 Grosse Pointe Zip Code [[their mail comes thru the Mack Ave. GPF post office).

But that's only the mailing address. When you start signing documents for your home purchase... prepare to see "Detroit" on the documents.

Realtors for homes in that far eastern part of Detroit use the same ploy of naming the city as "Grosse Pointe" to entice buyers.

Sneaky bastards... perhaps "dwelling resellers" aren't that far up the honesty scale from "vehicle resellers"...

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    An address may be in one municipality, within the service area of a Post Office located in another municipality, and within a third school district, at least in theory. It sounds like that may be the case here.
    You nailed it. My boyfreind resides near 8 mile and John R in Detroit but his postal service is out of HP, so most of his mail comes addressed to HP.

Update,

The home is in Detroit; I closed on it today.
    My new neighbor's characterization fo the neighborhood worries me a bit.
    Also that upon closing I padlocked the house instead of re-keying the doors, as the doors had been kicked in.

Thanks to DetroitYES, Model D, urban studies coursework at WSU, interaction with New Center Council and the fact I end up driving to Detroit to hang out . . . I have been inspired to move back to Detroit.
    At a more tangible level, depressed home prices, possible Woodward light rail, and proximity to WSU/Ferndale/ Family/ Dtwn Detroit caused me to move sooner whether than later.
    New Center Council deserves special credit, a few interactions would their leadership would inspire many to at least consider living in Detroit.

I can't say a pure cost/benefit analysis led me to live in Detroit.
    Moving from some Woodward Corridor Oakland County communities to Detroit requires a bit of optimism and hope, and a special appreciation of urban areas.

Perhaps offering urban studies at the high school level could slow/stop urban sprawl. That would benefit inner Detroit, inner-ring suburbs, and Metro Detroit as a whole.

Congrats and good luck on your new purchase! I used to live on E. Longwood many moons ago.

I'll say a special prayer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    I'll say a special prayer for you.
    Pure class as usual. If only we were all so wealthy that we could afford the cultural mecca of Northville.

Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    Update,

The home is in Detroit; I closed on it today.
    My new neighbor's characterization fo the neighborhood worries me a bit.
    Also that upon closing I padlocked the house instead of re-keying the doors, as the doors had been kicked in.

Thanks to DetroitYES, Model D, urban studies coursework at WSU, interaction with New Center Council and the fact I end up driving to Detroit to hang out . . . I have been inspired to move back to Detroit.
    At a more tangible level, depressed home prices, possible Woodward light rail, and proximity to WSU/Ferndale/ Family/ Dtwn Detroit caused me to move sooner whether than later.
    New Center Council deserves special credit, a few interactions would their leadership would inspire many to at least consider living in Detroit.

I can't say a pure cost/benefit analysis led me to live in Detroit.
    Moving from some Woodward Corridor Oakland County communities to Detroit requires a bit of optimism and hope, and a special appreciation of urban areas.

Perhaps offering urban studies at the high school level could slow/stop urban sprawl. That would benefit inner Detroit, inner-ring suburbs, and Metro Detroit as a whole.
    I'm new to the board and grew up in the Detroit area, but I wanted to congratulate you as well. In spite of the negativity that exists in many of the forums concerning Detroit, you've chosen to buy in a place that works for you. If only everyone else would decide for themselves and not allow others perceptions to do so, Detroit could finally start to see an influx of proud new residents.

Here-here to hope

Hey, I lived in Royal Oak and Detroit too.
    If you're young and a pioneer, go live in Detroit and god bless you.
    If you've got a family and want piece of mind, don't waste your time.

i live in detroit, have a family, and have PEACE of mind. it's worth my time.

What moving from the suburbs to the ghettohoods. Good for you, majohnson. Maybe you can throw a housewarming party for DYES forumers.

Ma Johnson, good for you! I owned a house in Detroit for almost 10 years before moving out. I'll admit I had a number of problems living in the neighborhood but I do not regret the experience at all. Best of luck, optimism such as yours is good to see. I think many college-age people are re-thinking what they have heard about Detroit during their lives. Nowadays 20-somethings seem to immensely enjoy the Downtown/Midtown areas. It's great to see them in such large numbers at pubs, restaurants and events downtown. It makes me for one think that the negative perceptions their parents had about Detroit are fading somewhat.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast