Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Ravine Guest

Default Scary HIV Thing On My Door

Yesterday, I returned to my home, in zip-code 48227, to find a purplish thing hanging on my front-doorknob:
    "48227 has the highest percentage of HIV in DETROIT."
    At the bottom of the back of this awful little card, it says:
    "Resources provided through the Detroit Department of Health & Wellness Promotion and the Southeastern Michigan HIV/AIDS Council."
    It provides the phone number of a Help Line, and doesn't say much else.

My son & I both had the same reaction: Did they print these up for every zip-code in Detroit? If not, how did they so positively determine this ghastly fact?

So, I am curious: Anybody else get this damned thing?

Here we go again. Someone has been reading too much Machiavelli. Scare tactics...

sorry ravine, it's true, here is a breakdown by zip code for detroit:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...e_329546_7.pdf

It's a real organization:
    Southeastern Michigan HIV/AIDS Council [[SEMHAC)
    SEMHAC is a group of individuals appointed by Detroit’s Mayor – the Chief Executive Officer [[CEO), to plan and decide how to use Ryan White Part A funds to deliver HIV services. As a community planning body, SEMHAC’s mission is to strengthen a coordinated regional response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic by involving persons infected with or affected by the virus.

Jointly, the planning council:
    Assures services to women, infants, children and youth with HIV
    Carries out needs assessments
    Prepares a comprehensive plan
    Prioritizes and allocates HIV Part A funds

Sounds like blockbusting. When I lived in Grandmont, we got those regarding abortion clinics and mental health clinics.

About HIV, I work with an HIV educator. I am not aware of any zip code specific stats re: HIV. [oops I hadn't seen the July quarterly, interesting information]. We are lucky to get county stats. You can call the DPH and see what they say about your publication.

It might sound scary that there is a lot of HIV, but how much is there really, and how does it affect you in 48227, or anywhere else?

It is a danger everywhere, because it has migrated into the heterosexual community, and you can get it like any other STD. In addition, there are different strains, having one strain doesn't immunize you from other strains. Bottom line, no unprotected sex, any kind of sex, and you will be safe. You can't get HIV from your next door neighbor unless you get their warm wet bodily fluids in your body.

ETA: There is a push on to get everyone to get tested as a regular part of their medical regimen. That way you can be certain whether or not you have been infected. This could well be part of a campaign to help people understand how prevalent HIV is and get people interested in getting tested. It would be good if they made testing mandatory, that way the stigma to testing would be diminished.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; September-03-10 at 09:04 AM.

Sounds like someone wants Ravine to move.

DetroitPole Guest

Hum, how much taxpayer money is the city using for these scary fliers and this appointed "council"?

That would probably be state or federal tax money.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Welcome To The Desert Of The Real!

Not suprising, if you have been out there with a lot of Detroiters. Honestly, do you really think that many people choose to live in such deplorable conditions as the sheer number of people that do in Southeast Michigan? Do you honestly think that many people don't care about political issues, don't care about change, and don't care about maintenance on themselves and their home/community?

What groups of people do not care about such things, and who would be somewhat justified in not caring about such things?

Detroit and certain suburbs have become the place we put people and problems who we want to dispose of, or forget about. Those on the margins of our society end up in De troite; our society's throw away children, the poor, those who live lifestyles who majority views as unpleasant, people who make bad decision, those who have lost their way, but above all... the sick and terminally ill. Often, people around here fall into several of the mentioned categories.

Walk through enough Detroiter's shoes, and the sheer scale of the horrors that these people face becomes all too real and apparent.

And those problems and areas are growing like a cancer.

PS: As upsurd as you think my stance and choice of moving my family to ground zero, if you had to do it like I did, you would be as devoted as trying to help these people as much as some former suburbanites turned urbanites.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Hum, how much taxpayer money is the city using for these scary fliers and this appointed "council"?
    to plan and decide how to use Ryan White Part A funds
    They are federal funds.
    Part A [[$604 million FY 2007) - These funds are given to Eligible Metropolitan Areas [[EMAs) and Transitional Grant Areas [[TGAs) that are most severely affected by HIV/AIDS. Cities such as Detroit, Atlanta, and Chicago are examples of currently funded EMAs. Cities such as Indianapolis and Austin are examples of currently funded TGAs. To receive funding EMAs must have at least 2,000 HIV cases and a population greater than 50,000. TGAs on the other hand must have 1,000 to 1,999 cases to qualify for funding. Monies from Part A can be used for:
    outpatient and ambulatory services
    pharmaceutical assistance
    dental health
    early intervention services
    health insurance premium and cost sharing assistance for low-income individuals
    home health care
    medical nutrition therapy
    hospice services
    home and community-based health services
    mental health services
    substance abuse outpatient care
    medical case management, including treatment adherence services.

Well, if these tactics work then G-d Bless them. According to the link from above, HIV new diagnoses have been almost continually declining since 1992. And if the rate of new diagnoses for 2010 holds steady, it will be the largest numerical drop in a decade.

Ravine Guest

Well, then!!
    Very interesting. Thanks, gang.
    With the exception of...

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Not suprising, if you have been out there with a lot of Detroiters. Honestly, do you really think that many people choose to live in such deplorable conditions as the sheer number of people that do in Southeast Michigan? Do you honestly think that many people don't care about political issues, don't care about change, and don't care about maintenance on themselves and their home/community?

What groups of people do not care about such things, and who would be somewhat justified in not caring about such things?

Detroit and certain suburbs have become the place we put people and problems who we want to dispose of, or forget about. Those on the margins of our society end up in De troite; our society's throw away children, the poor, those who live lifestyles who majority views as unpleasant, people who make bad decision, those who have lost their way, but above all... the sick and terminally ill. Often, people around here fall into several of the mentioned categories.

Walk through enough Detroiter's shoes, and the sheer scale of the horrors that these people face becomes all too real and apparent.

PS: As upsurd as you think my stance and choice of moving my family to ground zero, if you had to do it like I did, you would be as devoted as trying to help these people as much as some former suburbanites turned urbanites.
    I don't know what the fuck you are talking about [[or why you are talking about it in this simple thread,) but that's OK, because it is glaringly apparent that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, either.
    You didn't move to "Ground Zero" of anything, nobody has "put" anybody in "Detroit and certain suburbs," I don't know-- and I don't care, so fucking please don't tell me-- who, or what, you mean by "these people," and speaking as a guy who has been a Detroiter for longer than you've been alive, I walk around in my own shoes all of the time, and the way you make it sound like a trip down the river in "Apocalypse Now" could be almost sublimely absurd if it wasn't so goddam irritatingly ignorant and condescending.
    Now that you have clarified your state of mind, if you really want to "help these people," I have a suggestion: Wherever you were, before you moved to your "Ground Zero," go back there. "These people" don't need you and your sophomoric bullshit.

I don't know what the fuck you are talking about [[or why you are talking about it in this simple thread,) but that's OK, because it is glaringly apparent that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about, either.
    You didn't move to "Ground Zero" of anything, nobody has "put" anybody in "Detroit and certain suburbs," I don't know-- and I don't care, so fucking please don't tell me-- who, or what, you mean by "these people," and speaking as a guy who has been a Detroiter for longer than you've been alive, I walk around in my own shoes all of the time, and the way you make it sound like a trip down the river in "Apocalypse Now" could be almost sublimely absurd if it wasn't so goddam irritatingly ignorant and condescending.
    Now that you have clarified your state of mind, if you really want to "help these people," I have a suggestion: Wherever you were, before you moved to your "Ground Zero," go back there. "These people" don't need you and your sophomoric bullshit.

it's okay... big hug!

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post

it's okay... big hug!
    Nah, Ravine doesn't need a hug. He needs a megaphone so he can hold it up to DetroitDad's ear and repeat that about 100 more times until it sinks in.

Ravine, Gully, let's keep up Res.

This thread is pretty upsurd, yet entertaining, with a dash of rantiness thrown in.

[[Thumping chest like Tarzan) Hey, everyone, look at me! I left my safe and sanitary suburbia for 'Ground Zero'. Why didn't you?" :

In the words of Dookie, from the Kid Rock thread: [[Thanks, Dookie, agreed!Willard was in the Corridor when I lived there in 70's, not midtown, foxtown, hockeytown, sports town, whatever)
    >> QUOTE "I grew up in the worst ghetto in Detroit, the Cass Corridor, which had the lowest income of any zip code in the United States back in the '70s, 48201. We had rats and roaches; one night when I got into bed, a rat darted out from under the covers and through a grate in the floor. And to this day I double-check each spoonful or Raisin Bran to make sure those little black things are raisins, not roaches.

I currently reside in southwest Detroit, smack dab in the middle of Latin Counts territory.

So I suppose I have as much "street cred" when it comes to "being from Detroit" as anyone.

And I can tell you: The only people who really give a crap about "who is from Detroit" are:

1. Hipsters who've moved here and don't want others horning in on their action.

2. Prejudiced black people who use the "outsider" schtick as a code word for "white people."

The hipsters crack me up. I know several of them; they're obsessed with who is and isn't from Detroit. As I said, they think it makes them interesting and they get more cred with the NPR crowd if they live in the gritty city.

Make no mistake: I don't live in Detroit as a badge of honor. I live here because it's cheap." <<QUOTE.

It sounds like a public health initiative. I can well imagine it is not misplaced. Not the part about targeting Ravine's ZIP code, specifically, but the relatively aggressive approach.

Ravine, nice thread title. I didn't know what to expect.

Gazhekwe, what do mean by block busting?
    Last edited by fryar; September-03-10 at 03:59 PM.

Stosh Guest

No, they don't generally. Witness the low voter participation in and around the Detroit area for local political races, which gives you an idea as to the civic mindedness of vast amounts of people in the area. There are gobs of people that are just basically blind to the fact that HIV is a real thing that they can catch.

DD, if you don't like Southeastern Michigan, why the fuck don't you just move already, and spare us the crapfest?

I'd like to forget about you, but you keep posting here.

There's plenty of Detroiters around that are better citizens than you, and are considerably better equipped to handle the "horrors" of the city.

problems and areas are growing like a cancer.

Yeah you should be canonized for being an urban martyr or something.

Fryar, blockbusting is a now illegal tactic to drive homeowners out. Prices are driven down as panic moving increases. This practice was outlawed in the 60s. It increased the number of homes on the market but drove prices down.

This is likely a public health initiative but, if you ask me, an ill-advised one. We want people to get tested and know their status, but we don't want to scare them out of a neighborhood.

The #s per zip code only reflects those who were tested and know their status. Maybe those in 48227 are more responsible and have been tested and know their status. That is a GOOD thing and can prevent the spread of the disease.

I thought there might have been some kind of approach to this type of public outreach that was referred to, arguably in bad taste, as block-busting. Maybe something about busting through a mental block or something. I'm familiar with what you meant [[let me give you the grand tour of this, my residence, and don't mind the giant rock above ;-).

You may be right that this could be an ill-advised approach, you certainly seem to be in a better position to make a judgment call. Since people are apparently still engaging in risky behaviors, the idea with this initiative, I thought, may have been to hold people's feet to the fire a little bit about the fact that this is real, this may happen to them, it's not some vague, unrealistic nightmare scenario, it happens just like that [[snap finger now), to someone who lets their guard down near you. And then include a bunch of free condoms.

Sort of a "Hell-o-oh, knucklehead" to all the people making bad decisions.

That would be a good thing, but then you have the reaction that this is someone attacking the neighborhood, which is a bad thing. The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

I was just walking around in the Bronx and noticed the same type of geographically specific campaign urging everyone who is sexually active in the Bronx to get tested, because of its high HIV rate........

There is a national program implemented through CDC [[Center for Disease Control) to make HIV testing routine. We have a barrier to that in Michigan, as we passed a state law that prohibits testing anyone without express written consent. Therefore, when we go to the doctor for our physical, we get all routine blood tests but not for HIV.

Here it is up to the health care team to offer the test to their patients, and to obtain their written consent. This is not done routinely. A doctor may or may not assess risk factors in the patient's lifestyle. An older married woman may seem low risk. Yet, one of the fastest growing HIV populations is elders. Also, one may not be certain of one's partner's actions. Many a spouse has been infected because their beloved cheated without protection. Young people are another group that has high risk and low understanding of the need for protection. Many do not equate oral sex with risk, yet there is significant risk with oral sex. So, if everyone were tested routinely, it is reasoned, everyone would know their status and could take responsible action to protect others.