Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Paging Ray1936

Default Paging Ray1936

Hey Ray,
    Do you remember a large Police funeral at St. Jude's church back in the late 60's/early 70's? It seems it was quite large, with a procession down E 7 Mile, and may have had some controversy attached.

Probably, but the sands of time have muddied up my memory. There were a number of police officers killed in the line of duty in that time span, and I remember the curious thought that whenever one was killed he was Catholic. So St. Jude's is a likely site. Other than that, they collectively fade into one.......

On the other hand, perhaps it's most healthy that the only things I really remember about my DPD days are the funny things that happened.

Thanks, Ray, I'll keep searching.

here's the dpoa site showing all the officers KIA back to 1883
    http://www.odmp.org/agency/1000-detr...tment-michigan

Ike McKinnon's book gives details on quite a few
    http://books.google.com/books?id=EuO...lls%22&f=false

If you look at the list you'll be strck by how many were killed during that period of time. No wonder everyone dons a vest nowadays.

Thanks, Gnome. I already went through the Officer Down page, and saw some of McKinnon's book. I wish my dad were still alive so I could ask him.

Could it have been associated with the Riot/uprising? One of the officers listed was killed during that event. If you click their name on the officer down list, you get their story.

I don't think any of them list where the funeral was. I looked at most of the ones in that time frame.
    I only have a vague recollection of the funeral, but some of my friends remember it as being in the late 60's and quite large with the procession down 7 Mile including police cars and mounted division.

But that could be any PD or FD line-of-duty-death funeral.

Ray, are you still coming to Detroit in August?

Stromberg2

Strom, good news and bad news.

Good news is, yes, me and Mrs. Ray1936 will be in Detroit August 17 - 19.

Bad news is we're tied up totally for all three days, and will have to skip any potential DetYES get-together. I was hoping for a meeting on Friday, Aug. 19, but my son is taking us to a party followed by the Tigers' ballgame that day that will tie us up completely. From there, we'll be heading for northern Michigan to visit family and friends [[driving all the way).

Good news is we'll be back in June, 2012, for our grandson's HS graduation, and I will definitely fit in a DetroitYES meeting at that time. Promise!!!

That's too bad, Ray. Hell, I might have to go to that game and shake your hand!

Stromberg2