Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Cockrel Endorsed by the Council of Baptist Pastors

Baptist council to support Cockrel

The Detroit News

Detroit -- The influential Council of Baptist Pastors of Detroit & Vicinity will endorse Mayor Kenneth Cockrel Jr. today, the group announced this morning.
    The politically powerful group, which represents dozens of 150 churches, will make the endorsement official at noon at Original New Grace Baptist Church, 1115 Carmel. Group members interviewed Cockrel and his Tuesday opponent, Dave Bing, before making the decision. Members singled out Cockrel for his stances on jobs, the city's budget deficit and neighborhood development.
    "Leadership must have a proven track record of performance; the mayor's job is not designed for 'on the job training,'" the Rev. Oscar King III, council president said in prepared remarks.

"Therefore, after many deliberations, the Council has concluded that Interim Mayor Kenneth Cockrel has earned the right to continue governing our city in a permanent capacity."

He's doing a great job of garnering support from all of Kwame's old cohorts. And yesterday he was trying to force City Council to approve the contract for the guy that bribed two city officials. Sigh, the more things change the more they stay the same. Different drinker, same kool-aid.
    Last edited by Lowell; May-02-09 at 07:53 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

...this post brought to you by NASONEX.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    ...this post brought to you by NASONEX.

Ha, ha, ha. I did a copy and paste right from the papers website instead of from the print as I normally would. In fact, I have another I'm getting ready to post that has a Holiday Inn advertisement connected. I hope this doesn't cause any problems.

I wish that the Council, and other religious groups, would honor the separation of church and state. They should practice their religion and believe whatever they want, but should keep their noses out of politics......and begin paying taxes, like the rest of us.

kraig,

the mayor has stated he has concerns if Kado is involved, and that to his knowledge Kado is completely dissolved of his interest.

City Council simply asked for verification that Kado is not in the picture any longer.

Stop spreading horseshit.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofdetroit View Post
    kraig,

the mayor has stated he has concerns if Kado is involved, and that to his knowledge Kado is completely dissolved of his interest.

City Council simply asked for verification that Kado is not in the picture any longer.

Stop spreading horseshit.

The proposed contract has him as the subcontractor and his wife as the contractor. His wife, that's nothing but semantics. The mayor can't be too concerned, when Synagro bribed city officials, including his Chief of staff, the contract was rescinded. Why is this expiring contract, with no renewal options, being pushed through without putting out a request for proposal [[RFP)? This is a no bid contract to a family that has bribed two public officials.

If that is what you consider horse shit, then it's no wonder, Cobo Hall, and the City of Detroit for that matter, is in so much trouble.

The influential Council of Baptist Pastors of Detroit & Vicinity will endorse Mayor Kenneth Cockrel Jr. today, the group announced this morning.
    Why would they do this?

One of the council members must be planning a run for mayor in November.

That or their just looking for a way to be perceived as still relevant.

It will probably help Bing, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Why would they do this?

One of the council members must be planning a run for mayor in November.

That or their just looking for a way to be perceived as still relevant.

It will probably help Bing, anyway.

LOL. Nice play on yesterday's comments regarding Hendrix/Bing.

The Council of Baptist Pastors are looking for the same hookup they had with Yall's Boy.

[quote=kraig;14292]The proposed contract has him as the subcontractor and his wife as the contractor. His wife, that's nothing but semantics. The mayor can't be too concerned, when Synagro bribed city officials, including his Chief of staff, the contract was rescinded. Why is this expiring contract, with no renewal options, being pushed through without putting out a request for proposal [[RFP)? This is a no bid contract to a family that has bribed two public officials.

The foodservice contractor is ARAMark. Karl Kado was the subcontractor, with a 30% stake. That was how the Kilpatrick Admin wanted it. Kado hasn't been convicted of bribery, so i imagine that he is still a minority on that contract, which expired April 30. If Kilpatrick were still around, ARA would still be in and a new contract written. But now the sitution is different.

BGecause Cobo has to have food service for conventions,. and this big dinner, the Authority hoped that ARA would extend the present contract by 6 months - from April 20 [[the authority was to take over) until the Fall, giving the authority a smooth transition. Of course ARA was going to be able to bid for the new contract, but no assurances.

ARA said nothing doing and was walking. Now, with no Authority and the whole thing back in the city's lap, some very hard negotiating had to be done. From April 20 to now.

There's more to it than that, but no one in the present Mayor's administration was insisting on Kado in the deal. The new people want him out and he is out.

You are completely in error on your accusation.

Theses are the same chumps that hesitated in getting rid of Kwame until he was on the ropes and making a deal to save himself.
    Never mind that the guy sold out the city, as long as they were getting theirs they didn't seem to care.

[quote=SWMAP;14328]
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    The proposed contract has him as the subcontractor and his wife as the contractor. His wife, that's nothing but semantics. The mayor can't be too concerned, when Synagro bribed city officials, including his Chief of staff, the contract was rescinded. Why is this expiring contract, with no renewal options, being pushed through without putting out a request for proposal [[RFP)? This is a no bid contract to a family that has bribed two public officials.

The foodservice contractor is ARAMark. Karl Kado was the subcontractor, with a 30% stake. That was how the Kilpatrick Admin wanted it. Kado hasn't been convicted of bribery, so i imagine that he is still a minority on that contract, which expired April 30. If Kilpatrick were still around, ARA would still be in and a new contract written. But now the sitution is different.

BGecause Cobo has to have food service for conventions,. and this big dinner, the Authority hoped that ARA would extend the present contract by 6 months - from April 20 [[the authority was to take over) until the Fall, giving the authority a smooth transition. Of course ARA was going to be able to bid for the new contract, but no assurances.

ARA said nothing doing and was walking. Now, with no Authority and the whole thing back in the city's lap, some very hard negotiating had to be done. From April 20 to now.

There's more to it than that, but no one in the present Mayor's administration was insisting on Kado in the deal. The new people want him out and he is out.

The contract that was being pushed yesterday was for a 12 month extension. Extension means the same terms and conditions that already exist. Which would include Kado. You're probably going by the statement that Darchelle Love made when she said that they want the same thing that Council wants. But remember, the contract that was presented was the contract that had been negotiated by the Regional Authority. Wait until Monday, they're all going to talk about what the "changes" are in the contract, let's talk then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I wish that the Council, and other religious groups, would honor the separation of church and state. They should practice their religion and believe whatever they want, but should keep their noses out of politics......and begin paying taxes, like the rest of us.
    Traditionally in african-american culture the line between church and state has always been blurred. There are just too many reasons for this to go into in this post, but every culture has unique features. the mixing of church and politics has been part of the AA culture since slavery. The civil rights movement was led by pastors and there other examples. Thats why the Sunday before the election the candidates will try and hit every black church in Detroit.

Now if you want to take the, then you should pay taxes route, I suggest you talk to the religious right-wing Evangelicals I'm sure they would have a lot to say about that.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Traditionally in african-american culture the line between church and state has always been blurred. There are just too many reasons for this to go into in this post, but every culture has unique features. the mixing of church and politics has been part of the AA culture since slavery. The civil rights movement was led by pastors and there other examples. Thats why the Sunday before the election the candidates will try and hit every black church in Detroit.

Now if you want to take the, then you should pay taxes route, I suggest you talk to the religious right-wing Evangelicals I'm sure they would have a lot to say about that.
    Yeah, but does anyone really care what they have to say?

The Constitution does not require religious groups to be silent on political or social issues. Quite the contrary, religious groups should speak to and have a position on those matters that affect the people. Religious leaders have always had a responsibility to "speak truth to power". Therein lies my problem with the Council of Baptist Pastors. They would not speak the truth regarding Kilpatrick. That is where they failed in my opinion. They did more harm to their own reputations, among their own parishoners, than they probably even realize.

The Constitution merely sought to prohibit government from establishing or favoring a specific religion as the "State Religion", and keep religious groups from controlling the government. And there is a difference between controlling and influencing. Any person or group in America can try to influence anything they wish, otherwise we have to ban all lobbyists, even those lobbying for what we consider to be "good" things.
    Last edited by Locke09; May-02-09 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling error

From my understanding, a pastor at a church is not allowed to endorse a candidate, lest they risk losing tax-exempt status for their church. But for an organized group of pastors from various churches, apparently it's okay.

Actually, you are safer just being an individual who is endorsing/supporting a candidate. Churches cannot appear to be establishing political action groups. They can declare their belief that a particular candidate is the best candidate for their parishoners, community, country, etc. all they want. They cannot establish a group whose purpose is to exert influence over politics. They can have social action committees that concern themselves with social issues, which of course cross over into political issues.

Thought I'd check for clarification. Since 1954, no tax-exempt organization, not just churches, is supposed to "endorse" a political candidate. So, you are probably right g-dub. It is better for the Council of Bapist Pastors to do the endorsement than individual churches.

firstandten:

"...Now if you want to take the, then you should pay taxes route, I suggest you talk to the religious right-wing Evangelicals I'm sure they would have a lot to say about that..."

I did, in my post, with the phrase "and other religious groups".

If one wants a perfect example of church influencing state, the Taliban is a good example.

It has always amazed me that so many in the African American community have embraced the christian religion that, in many cases, condoned the forced removal of their ancestors in Africa into slavery in this country.
    Last edited by Bobl; May-02-09 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling

Bobl,

The African-American community understands that greedy people will use anything they can to try and defend their abuse of others and their theft of resources that belong to others. The African-American community also knows that in the end, it was people of strong religious convictions who became some of the most fervent abolitionists and helped many slaves escape to freedom. It was the increasing inability to reconcile Christianity with slavery that stoked the flames of dissent.

L:
    Thank you. I guess one of my problems with organized religion has been the way different people, with differing agendas, sometimes use the teachings to suit their own purpose.
    As you wrote, the same religion that I criticized for acquiescing and even encouraging the enslaving and abuse of others can be sited as a contributor to the abolitionist movement that aspired to end this evil.
    I don't see the need for religion when logic suggests that a person should treat others as they would wish to be treated. My three relatives who joined the convent, and taught in Detroit parochial schools, disagree.
    My late mom and dad taught me both the religious and the logical reasons to attempt a "righteous" life.
    I have used the old quote from a Bob Dylan song on this forum before:
    "I'll let you be in my dream, if I can be in yours."
    This has been my philosophy in life.
    Last edited by Bobl; May-02-09 at 01:46 PM. Reason: sp

Bobl

I think with just about every religion there is you have your fundamentalist, your total extreme ideologs. Theres nothing you can do about them. I just try and chart a moderate course.

...or ignore religion completely, do the right thing, and judge not, lest ye be judged....

[quote=SWMAP;14328]
    Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post

The City Council is not voting on the contract today. The mayor's office said that the contract was not ready.

4real Guest

Bing has my vote, a proven private business winner who can bring some sensibility to city management,

re: "That or their just looking for a way to be perceived as still relevant."
    I'm sure musch truth to that.

Sharp ideal from the Council of Baptist Pastors, it would give Cockerel a boost to become Detroit's next and 4th African American Mayor.