Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit architects McGarth and Dohman

I am looking for information a Detroit architectural firm called McGarth & Dohman. What do you know about them? eeek

Nice to hear your "eeek" again Carpster. Either your spelling or your typing skills have gone downhill - I bet you're looking for McGrath & Dohman. They appear as Detroit architects in the 1920s and had a good run in the 1930s. They did a lot of Catholic work including Epiphany, Precious Blood and St. Veronica [[East Detroit) churches. They did a lot of work in a not-too-wonderful Italian Romanesque style which, with its limestone trimmings and sculpture, probably prompts your enquiry.

You should update your blog more often; I've given up visiting it. Buona fortuna.

McGarth & Dohman. Thanks McC. Spelling has never been a strong suit of mine, or of Parducci's either - which is where I go "Doman." eek

I have the firm as McGrath Dohmen and in another iteration as McGrath, Dohmen and Page. They designed several Detroit school buildings in the 1920s including: Stellwagen, John Marshall, Ella Fitzgerald [[not the singer, a schoolteacher), Edwin Sherrill and Mumford High in the late 1940s.

My information has Precious Blood as built in the 1950s and Maguola and Quick as the architects, but perhaps there was an earlier version of the church done by McGrath and Dohmen.
    Last edited by Historyguy; January-21-11 at 03:40 AM.

You need some research help here, Carpy?!

It'd be my pleasure to attack the stacks in the main library for ya...

My architect girlfriend says the adorable ex-nun Dr. Dorothy who taught her at CCS was the expert on Detroit church's architecture. Alas, she has gone on to the great beyond, but I'm wondering if she left notes behind that ended up in some collection...

Hi Carpy!! Meant to post some info for you when you first posted...glad it came up again.

Awhile back I went through the Arcadia books on Detroit's Catholic Churches, noting the church, year parish founded, year church built, and architects.

McGrath and Dohman came up a couple times...
    St. Veronica [Eastpointe] 1958
    St. Peter [Mount Clemens] 1960
    St. Victor [Gibraltar] 1961

Hope this helps! Always, if you have any questions, just drop me an email. Same address.

Kathleen

It appears to be McGrath and DOHMEN which shows up a number of times in a Google search. They were in Troy as well as in Brinston but don't appear in www.411.com now... maybe they merged with another firm. I have to run but you may want to check for the two addresses listed in Troy and Brinston and see who is there now... maybe a successor firm or someone who could point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    My architect girlfriend says the adorable ex-nun Dr. Dorothy who taught her at CCS was the expert on Detroit church's architecture. Alas, she has gone on to the great beyond, but I'm wondering if she left notes behind that ended up in some collection...
    Another one who fled for the suburbs? Eek!