Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ford would never build this

A brazilian designer has a concept for a new T-Bird.
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/05...bird-with.html

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    A brazilian designer has a concept for a new T-Bird.
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2010/05...bird-with.html
    Ford would build anything that makes him a profit [[especially if he lived in the corporatist 21st century).

Heck, as ugly as the Dodge Charger and Avenger was, those are most likely Chrysler's most profitable models.

lilpup Guest

Ford also builds and sells a lot of stuff overseas that they don't here.

Isn't anything I hadn't seen a hundred times walking by the trans design studios at CCS in the early 2000s.

Why would they want to? Cadillac already builds the XLR which looks almost identical to the concept pics [[Minus the short tail fins).

it's one of those things that i liked at first glance, then didn't. [[yeah, JL, you are right about the CCS reference) I would LOVE to see a new T-Bird and a new Continental Mark Whatever, but I seriously doubt I ever will. This guy apparantly built some prototypes.

Out of curiosity, I went to Ford's Spain website. These are there current offerings there: http://www.ford.es/Turismos

Johnny the XLR is no longer being built. While I liked the car, it was expensive and really just a fancy Corvette. The line is now a Corvette only line.

Bottom line is that Ford tried something similar and it was not a good selling product. Trends may change, but for now I would doubt it would sell.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Out of curiosity, I went to Ford's Spain website. These are there current offerings there: http://www.ford.es/Turismos
    focus RS. i want one. do i want to spend 30K + euros for it? not really

One Coupe-Cabriolet, please

focus RS. i want one. do i want to spend 30K + euros for it? not really
    That looks so awesome. If I was 10 years younger and had more money than I had when I was 10 years younger, I'd be all in. Then I would lose my license immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    That looks so awesome. If I was 10 years younger and had more money than I had when I was 10 years younger, I'd be all in. Then I would lose my license immediately.
    I gotta repeat myself. If it can't haul home a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood from Home Depot, I ain't interested.

But, then, I'm old.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Johnny the XLR is no longer being built. While I liked the car, it was expensive and really just a fancy Corvette. The line is now a Corvette only line.
    Thanks, I didn't realize they had quit making the XLR [[I'm more of a economy car/pickup driver). Still in my opinion the T-Bird concept above looks pretty darn close to the XLR. Also the styling has a pronounced G.M vibe, definitely not something I would consider for a Ford.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; September-01-10 at 12:07 PM.

Does Ford need a "halo" car? or does a $50K+ Mustang count?

Ford should of fitted the Crown Vic with a more fuel efficient engine, trimmed some weight and kept this iconic staple product alive. In NYC the Crown Vics are preferred over the hybrids.

Does Ford need a "halo" car? or does a $50K+ Mustang count?
    I think they're fine letting Shelby and Roush make absurdly powerful 'Stangs.

Your right because that thing is FUGLY!

I think thats shaped more like a Chrysler Crossfire than a Thunderbird.
    And the Dodge Charger isnt that ugly.
    When do you think the Detroit Police will get some?

Maybe the DPD will go with the new Ford Interceptor [[based on a Taurus body and all wheel drive with a V-6), or a Utility Interceptor. Or, maybe they will also consider the new 2011 Caprice PPV, which is going to be a rear-wheel drive car available in a V-8, and which will be bigger than the Ford.

The Caprice may turn out to be more practical for police departments, but the Interceptor has nicer styling.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Ford would build anything that makes him a profit [[especially if he lived in the corporatist 21st century).

Heck, as ugly as the Dodge Charger and Avenger was, those are most likely Chrysler's most profitable models.
    I was motoring on the A9 between Amsterdam and Haarlem [[Yes, in the Netherlands) when suddenly I saw something in the rearview mirror. I thought it was a pimped up Mustang but it turned out to be the new Dodge Charger. I know that it must be an everyday car over there just like a Volkswagen Golf or Ford Focus [[European styled) over here. In other words, more common. But that Charger is very exotic over here and this was only the first time I saw one "in the wild".
    Of all the American brands Dodge is doing the best over here with the Caliber, Nitro and Avenger. Of course Chevrolet is also very common but these are mostly rebranded Daewoo's, and made in Korea.

Jeep and Chrysler are also doing well. Especially the Chrysler 300C is a car you can see frequently over here.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    Maybe the DPD will go with the new Ford Interceptor [[based on a Taurus body and all wheel drive with a V-6), or a Utility Interceptor. Or, maybe they will also consider the new 2011 Caprice PPV, which is going to be a rear-wheel drive car available in a V-8, and which will be bigger than the Ford.

The Caprice may turn out to be more practical for police departments, but the Interceptor has nicer styling.
    I don't know about the caprice actually being bigger in terms of interior space. The 2010 v taurus certainly isn't

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Chargers for most part had nice styling... except for maybe some of the ones built in the 80's. Nothing like a 68 or 69 charger... those were cars. Charger concept design.