Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: fire at cass?

Default fire at cass?

what's going on on the 5th floor?

Of what???

sorry. there seems to have been a fire on the fifth floor of the historic cass technical h.s. this afternoon. does anyone have more information?

I drove by today and didn't even see any fire damage. More details?

Yeah its those DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS and those squatters, Those 'I don't care about Detroit' people who are burning down the Old Cass Tech Building. Covering up with wood from the front entrances up to the 5nd floor will not do. It has to be brick up.

Drove by HCTHS tonite and the boards are off quite a number of windows...

This is just depressing. I can't believe that six years ago today, that building was filled with life and activity. That building was old and showing her age, but still viable. I enjoyed working there and guarantee that it would have made a great office/workshop/studio/live-work space for others. Renovated, it would have been awesome...

Sad indeed. I know this is not popular, but IMO it needs to be torn down before someone is killed either putting out a fire or fires in the structure or someone uses the building to harbor a crime. A huge multi-story building like that abandoned and not secured is just a danger on so many levels. Tragic. Similarly the old Wilbur Wright building needs to be torn down. It is open access as well. I'd hate to see fire fighters killed or wounded fighting fires in these buildings...
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    This is just depressing. I can't believe that six years ago today, that building was filled with life and activity. That building was old and showing her age, but still viable. I enjoyed working there and guarantee that it would have made a great office/workshop/studio/live-work space for others. Renovated, it would have been awesome...

How much can it really cost to brick up the first 2 floors fo a building like this? I think this will be come the standard practice for buildings in detroit. Its the only way to keep out the scrappers.

That building should have been torn down when it was origianlly planned. Where are the alumists and activists who bitched and moaned and prveented the city from tearing down cass tech? Where is their cash in preserving this building? Why does the city and DPS have to continue to spend money to keep this piece of shit building secure and standing?

Tear the damn thing down already.