Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Kid Rock isn't from Detroit.

Can he just admit his thoughts on the world come through the lens of Romeo, Michigan?

http://www.freep.com/article/2010083...-Detroit-roots

And yet he is still the biggest Detroit Booster out there

Is your point some breed of sour grapes?

Christ. Not ANOTHER one of these "metro Detroit is not Detroit" threads.

Kid Rock is a redneck knucklehead, in many ways symbolic of all the worst about redneck knuckleheads. I think he should be put on a podium, wrapped in the Confederate flag, given an award and then get shot through the head.

Kid Rock uses "being from" Detroit as means to concoct authenticity. His boosting does more to harm than help the city by just perpetuating stereotypes. It's a lot easier to say "I'm from Detroit. I'm hard. I'm a badass" than "I'm from Detroit, and I'm raising a family here" but where's the glamour in that? I don't know how much boosting the city gets from having some redneck run around continuously getting arrested for assault, but if he really wanted to be a part of Detroit, he'd build his house here, not on Lake Charlevoix.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Christ. Not ANOTHER one of these "metro Detroit is not Detroit" threads.
    I'm not sure Romeo is even part of Metro Detroit.

Beggars can't be choosers. Whoever can bring a favorable light to
    the city should be embraced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    Romeo is in Macomb County. It's part of the Tri-County area and part of metro Detroit.

DetroitPole Guest

Kid Rock uses "being from" Detroit as means to concoct authenticity. His boosting does more to harm than help the city by just perpetuating stereotypes. It's a lot easier to say "I'm from Detroit. I'm hard. I'm a badass" than "I'm from Detroit, and I'm raising a family here" but where's the glamour in that? I don't know how much boosting the city gets from having some redneck run around continuously getting arrested for assault, but if he really wanted to be a part of Detroit, he'd build his house here, not on Lake Charlevoix.
    I think this is what annoys a lot of people and I agree with it. Kid Rock isn't "from Detroit" as a means of geography, but as a means of selling whatever "badass" image he is going for. And while one could argue that Romeo is part of Metro Detroit, there is nothing "badass"[[in the sense he is going for) about Romeo, so he should drop the schtick.

I think Eminem is a better example. He did live in Detroit for a while as a youth, though he spent most of his years in Warren, which is unquestionably part of Metro Detroit. He is accepted in large part by the Detroit rap and social scene, and has a large following in both the suburbs and the city. He sings about Detroit a lot, but he doesn't really go around bragging about how he is from Detroit like Kid Rock.

I never really understood why people like Kid Rock. It seems like all he ever does is sing about himself.

I still want him to do an all-rap album again.. alas, he still wants to be Bob Seger...

I have 2 words for this thread.... "Diana Ross"

Now doesn't that make this Kid Rock debate seem rather insignificant??

Anybody else appreciate the irony that when Kid Rock bought the clothing label Made in Detroit, he pulled it out of the city and relocated in Clarkston? What -- Made in Clarkston doesn't have enough cache?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Anybody else appreciate the irony that when Kid Rock bought the clothing label Made in Detroit, he pulled it out of the city and relocated in Clarkston? What -- Made in Clarkston doesn't have enough cache?
    Do you mean 'cachet'? Or does the clothing have a hidden stash of weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Romeo is in Macomb County. It's part of the Tri-County area and part of metro Detroit.
    Don't even bother. People like Pushtina are part of the reason there's no regional cooperation in this area. This region is so fucked that Detroiters actually take offense when people associate the city with its suburban neighbors, and people in the suburbs take offense when their city or township is associated with Detroit.

Regions in the US that thrive do so in no small part because they don't have to deal with this kind of stupid bullshit on the scale that Detroit does.

LodgeDodger Guest

It's infinitely better than those who are from Detroit and have embarrassed us all.

Whether or not you're from Detroit, we're all lumped together...

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Don't even bother. People like Pushtina are part of the reason there's no regional cooperation in this area. This region is so fucked that Detroiters actually take offense when people associate the city with its suburban neighbors, and people in the suburbs take offense when their city or township is associated with Detroit.

Regions in the US that thrive do so in no small part because they don't have to deal with this kind of stupid bullshit on the scale that Detroit does.
    I didn't know my opinion on a musician dragging our city's name through the mud had anything to do with regional politics. It means something to me that Detroit music is the best in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Do you mean 'cachet'? Or does the clothing have a hidden stash of weapons?
    Maybe I meant moolah... dinero... bread... cabbage? Actually, maybe I spelled it right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I still want him to do an all-rap album again.. alas, he still wants to be Bob Seger...
    Years ago I ran around with a kid in Mt. Clemens called Bob Ritchie. He dj'd at a teen club there called Danceopolis. All he ever talked about was being a rock star. Lost touch with him when I went away to college in the fall of '89.

Turns out he became a rock star. He took a dream and made it a reality. Now, I am not an admirer of his image or his music. But I do admire his success, and I would much rather people associate Kid Rock with Detroit than, say, Kwame Kilpatrick.

I didn't know my opinion on a musician dragging our city's name through the mud had anything to do with regional politics. It means something to me that Detroit music is the best in the world.

Kid Rock is dragging our city's reputation through the mud? Are you insane?

He's been a net plus. In fact, what's the minus? You don't like his music, or his redneck attitude? OK, feel free to be a bigot, but don't be an imbecile. There are plenty of people dragging our city's reputation through the mud, like our pols and criminals, but Kid Rock is still Detroit-oriented in a positive way which is more than can be said for all the Motown-era stars and others who moved out and never looked back.

kid rock does more for the city of detroit than that wanna be ex-detroiter [[NOT) madonna - at least he generates money within the city by holding his concerts here and not in auburn hills

The guy grew up in Romeo and also lived in Detroit for a while. In his songs he talks about being from both places. What's so wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Maybe I meant moolah... dinero... bread... cabbage? Actually, maybe I spelled it right after all.
    If you meant money, then neither term was correct.
    Cachet is a 'certain something'; a mark of quality or distinction.
    Cache is short term storage

It's about as much a part of Metro Detroit as Brighton, Ypsilanti or New Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Kid Rock is dragging our city's reputation through the mud? Are you insane?

He's been a net plus. In fact, what's the minus? You don't like his music, or his redneck attitude? OK, feel free to be a bigot, but don't be an imbecile. There are plenty of people dragging our city's reputation through the mud, like our pols and criminals, but Kid Rock is still Detroit-oriented in a positive way which is more than can be said for all the Motown-era stars and others who moved out and never looked back.
    Yes, I'm talking about the music. Maybe I take that shit seriously, but like I said earlier, he uses being from Detroit to sell an image. He wants to be part of the great Detroit musical legacy, as well as sell a hard image. I don't really care that he or anyone else lives in the suburbs and casually refers to it as living in Detroit. I lived in the suburbs for a time and did the same thing. My original point is that he isn't from Detroit, his music doesn't sound like it's from Detroit, but he want his celebrity peers/fans to respect him for it anyways. That's bullshit.

So, where's the big plus, cause this bigot imbecile just doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast